Quantcast
Focus RS unveiling soon - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Focus RS unveiling soon

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Pretty sure it will be how ST's are sold here. Fully loaded ST3 models. If you want less options you have to special order it in

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Aleks

MSRP is $46,969
    http://www.autos.ca/general-news/dri...iced-at-46969/

I'm not surprised. Focus ST is slower or on par with GTI so I expected the Golf R to be faster or equal to this even though Focus RS is rated much higher HP.

That price above really make the Golf R a bargain. The RS would have to be an incredible driving machine to justify that huge spread.
    The Golf R is a bargain in Canada but in the US not so much. I really haven't seen the Golf R praised all that much though because in most reviews they end up saying at the end it's not worth the premium over a GTI. The Haldex AWD system in the R isn't exactly a performance AWD system as it's a garden variety FWD based AWD system. Still fine for everyday use and all but not performance oriented. I think this RS is going to be a significant upgrade over the ST more so than the Golf R is over the GTI.

As for that slow 0-62 mph time I would take that with a grain of salt as their 0-62 times for the R and STI are slower than the RS and also slower than what Motortrend or C&D got out of them. I would wait until the American rags get a hold of an RS and launch it without launch control which is likely designed to be sympathetic to the drivetrain.
    Last edited by heavyD; 09-18-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:04 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Why would you go with a Focus RS, when the S3 has similar specs in terms of 0-60, AWD, and all with a better interior?
    That's kind of like asking why buy an Evo X for $50k when you can get a STi for $37k. Because reasons

And to some people, it still does matter to have a stick. I wouldn't buy a S3 simply for that reason alone.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Wow, that is even more than the CAD price for an S3 with a progressiv trim package

Why would you go with a Focus RS, when the S3 has similar specs in terms of 0-60, AWD, and all with a better interior?
    Because, hot hatch.

(albeit not a 3 door)

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

That's kind of like asking why buy an Evo X for $50k when you can get a STi for $37k. Because reasons

And to some people, it still does matter to have a stick. I wouldn't buy a S3 simply for that reason alone.
    Exactly. There are a fair bit of EVO's in this city. Much more than Golf R's and S3's. Some people put more weight into performance vs style. The goal of the RS is to be the best performing of the hot hatches for those that want performance above all else. I'm sure there will be comparisons in the future and I'm pretty confident the RS will be the best performance package by a considerable margin.

If Honda brought the European FWD CTR here it would cost in the neighborhood of $40-45k here people would be drooling over it but since this is a Ford people seem to think it's overpriced.
    Last edited by heavyD; 09-18-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

To be fair, I didn't realize the S3 didn't have a stick option... you are preaching to the choir on that

As for buying an EvoX over an STi when there is a 13K difference in the price... that is just silliness.

I really don't get the hatch VS car thing... I've owned both, and I really don't have a strong preference to one or the other.
    I would say that, especially in Europe, hatches are far more useful for men. Sedans cant carry anywhere near as much, especially in the small car segment. Hatches tend to be somewhat stiffer (torsionally) as well since their body shape lends to this naturally.

In N/A, guys just buy $60k, 3 ton, F150s as personal transportation, no need for hatches.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

To be fair, I didn't realize the S3 didn't have a stick option... you are preaching to the choir on that

As for buying an EvoX over an STi when there is a 13K difference in the price... that is just silliness.

I really don't get the hatch VS car thing... I've owned both, and I really don't have a strong preference to one or the other.
    The EVO X to STI comparison you are using is apples to oranges as a $13k difference is the price of a fully loaded MR to a base STI and the MR comes with DCT, forged wheels, upgraded rotors, shocks, plus leather and all the other options to an STI that has nothing not even foglights or climate control. As has been said the Canadian RS would only be $1500 over a loaded STI which is apples to apples unless you consider the STI's severely overpriced due to its decade old technology.

As for the hatch vs sedan argument I actually prefer sedans because they always look better and my personal car isn't the family hauler so utility is below styling on my list of must haves. That said like you I don't have a strong preference to the point either configuration would be a deal breaker.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by heavyD

The EVO X to STI comparison you are using is apples to oranges as a $13k difference is the price of a fully loaded MR to a base STI and the MR comes with DCT, forged wheels, upgraded rotors, shocks, plus leather and all the other options to an STI that has nothing not even foglights or climate control. As has been said the Canadian RS would only be $1500 over a loaded STI which is apples to apples unless you consider the STI's severely overpriced due to its decade old technology.

As for the hatch vs sedan argument I actually prefer sedans because they always look better and my personal car isn't the family hauler so utility is below styling on my list of must haves. That said like you I don't have a strong preference to the point either configuration would be a deal breaker.
    The problem is that people can buy a base STI, Golf R is way cheaper, Civic Type R will likely be in the mid 30k etc. The 47k loaded RS may not be overpriced if comparing loaded to loaded cars but it needs to have an option of buying a cheaper one.

EVO MR was way overpriced as shown by them sitting on lots and having 5-6k discounts typically.

Ford will probably sell every RS they bring as I doubt they will bring more than 50-100 per year to Canada.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

The problem is that people can buy a base STI, Golf R is way cheaper, Civic Type R will likely be in the mid 30k etc. The 47k loaded RS may not be overpriced if comparing loaded to loaded cars but it needs to have an option of buying a cheaper one.

EVO MR was way overpriced as shown by them sitting on lots and having 5-6k discounts typically.

Ford will probably sell every RS they bring as I doubt they will bring more than 50-100 per year to Canada.
    The Civic Type R costs the same as a Focus RS in the UK so your mid 30's estimate is likely more where the next Si with turbocharged engine will land. A base STI is a terrible purchase at $38k unless your sole purpose is to track it as it's a stripper with no HID's, fog lights, or anything. The Golf R is a good but not great car as the reviews all say as it understeer's a lot and the engine is laggy.

As you said Ford will sell every RS they bring so there's not really a "problem" is there?
    Last edited by heavyD; 09-18-2015 at 02:33 PM.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

The Golf R is a good but not great car as the reviews all say as it understeer's a lot and the engine is laggy.
    Understeer is easily addressed as well as tweaking the AWD system, the lag however not so much.

Interested in the inevitable comparisons between the STI, RS and R. Should make for some quality entertainment.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

It appears at the price point you are going to have the fan boys buy their brand of car no matter what car is better overall. Maybe ford is taxing people because their product is new to the marketplace. They did the same thing with the f150's at launch the one I wanted was 60k, now I can get it for 53k. I'm glad they brought a rare car to North America, hope it does well enough to keep bringing them.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

That's with anything a business can get consumers all excited about. Sell it to the fans that NEED the product on the release date. Then once the buzz starts to die you decrease the cost to keep the sales going.

The price will go down, still a damn expensive focus... still want it though. Lol

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Silverado

cant you buy a nice loaded 5. 0 mustang for 45k?
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 09-18-2015 at 03:16 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I rather drive the Focus RS than a 5.0 Mustang any day though.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Mustangs are lame.
    Seriously though.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

The Civic Type R costs the same as a Focus RS in the UK so your mid 30's estimate is likely more where the next Si with turbocharged engine will land. A base STI is a terrible purchase at $38k unless your sole purpose is to track it as it's a stripper with no HID's, fog lights, or anything. The Golf R is a good but not great car as the reviews all say as it understeer's a lot and the engine is laggy.

As you said Ford will sell every RS they bring so there's not really a "problem" is there?
    I can't see Honda increasing the price of their Si by close to 10 grand just because they redesigned it. By all accounts Civic prices will remain about the same, which leads me to think their Si will cost around the same. It's 27k now. Unless Honda follows Ford's lead I think a 10k premium for the type R is about right.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I can't see Honda increasing the price of their Si by close to 10 grand just because they redesigned it. By all accounts Civic prices will remain about the same, which leads me to think their Si will cost around the same. It's 27k now. Unless Honda follows Ford's lead I think a 10k premium for the type R is about right.
    So you think an all new turbocharged engine and upgraded transmission based on the expensive drivetrain in the CTR is going to cost the same as the parts bin engines we have seen in the Si?

What is your reasoning for your estimation CTR would be only $35k here as in an earlier post? You do realize in the UK the Si costs more than the STI and is a dead heat with the Focus RS as far as price goes so I'm just trying to understand how you think Honda could bring it to North America for significantly less than the price of those cars.

How could you expect any of the technology in what is the most expensive FWD car in the world to fall into the Si and maintain the current $27k price that's currently based on using parts bin engines/transmission that have been around for a decade? I know deep down you are still a Honda fanboy but common sense and logic trumps your heart here.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

I'm also wondering about the si price. The only way I can see it around 30k is if they throw in the 1.5t engine at around 200-220hp or so. I hope they don't go this way..... however if it gets the 2.0t engine I think it will be decently expensive.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast