Quantcast
Whats it cost to repaint a car these days? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Whats it cost to repaint a car these days?

Default Whats it cost to repaint a car these days?

I'm looking at a '60s classic that is in fairly good condition. The body has very minor rust around the rear well wells but overall needs a respray. Not looking to change the color so don't see the benefit of doing the door jams.

What would a full repaint with minor body work(for the rust) go for these days. If I did want to change the color, how much more would it cost to do door jams and engine bay (would have the engine removed).
    Last edited by VWEvo; 01-23-2015 at 09:28 AM.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    K-car

I got a quote for a 70 Cutlass 442. Same deal, older resto with minor rust. I wanted a good base/clear respray. Highest quote was $10,500, at a specialty shop, lowest was $3,000 from some dude off Kijiji who claimed to have a state of the art paint booth in his garage in Marlborough.

I'd say $5,000 is a safe bet. Just make sure you use a reputable shop....
    Last edited by corsvette; 01-23-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Originally posted by corsvette
    I got a quote for a 70 Cutlass 442. Same deal, older resto with minor rust. I wanted a good base/clear respray. Highest quote was $10,500, at a specialty shop, lowest was $3,000 from some dude off Kijiji who claimed to have a state of the art paint booth in his garage in Marlborough.

I'd say $5,000 is a safe bet. Just make sure you use a reputable shop....
    Thank, I'm assuming this didn't include jams?
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    K-car

Nope, jams were extra. Plan on another $1500+ for jams and under hood.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Removing the engine is ideal for a decent quality spray under the hood otherwise it'll look awful where it's hard to get to, near the headers & the rad area (etc). Yes I'd definitely do the jams as well. $10k is about fair.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 01-23-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    K-car

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Removing the engine is ideal for a decent quality spray under the hood otherwise it'll look awful where it's hard to get to, near the headers. Yes I'd definitely do the jams as well. $10k is about fair.
    It would be ideal, but on a big old muscle car not really necessary. Theres not much in those huge engine bays. It would be much easier to just remove the headers or anything else in the way. If you were going after a complete resto or show car I'd pull the engine, paint and detail everything....that's the trouble with old cars, just how far do you want to go lol.

Any particular shops that are recommended?
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    This and that.

Screamin' Paintworks would be my guess knowing Beyond.

My Ride
    K-car

A few that I remember- SOS autobody, Contemporary coachworks, and some shop that's out of Nanton or Vulcan, can't remember the name, a friend of mine who's into classics said he's awesome. I've seen his work on a 64 Vette and it's impressive. I'll get the name for you.

Very few shops in Calgary the classic buffs recommend, many even ship theirs to the US to get body work done.

A few that I remember- SOS autobody, Contemporary coachworks, and some shop that's out of Nanton or Vulcan, can't remember the name, a friend of mine who's into classics said he's awesome. I've seen his work on a 64 Vette and it's impressive. I'll get the name for you.

Very few shops in Calgary the classic buffs recommend, many even ship theirs to the US to get body work done.
    Its interesting that you mentioned the States. I'm assuming there are awesome shops that will do interior and exterior. Where would I find the name of a few reputable shops in the US?
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride

I know a guy down in Kalispell Montana. He specializes in rods and muscle cars. It's called Rocky Mountain Rods and Customs. He's the guy I bought my '38 off of. He does wicked work. There is this absolute guru down in Denver Colorado, his business is called "the metal surgeon". http://www.themetalsurgeon.com/ lol they have a truck like mine on his home page. But check out all he does... it's just nuts really.
    For interior work, Cascade Vans & interiors off of McKnight do excellent work as well
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Thanks
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride

^ I have far far more contacts (a pile of business cards I've collected over the years).. but for some odd reason I can't find them on my phone. I'll try to update this later when I have the chance.

Calgary sucks for places that do automotive restorations and the like, but elsewhere in Alberta there are a good handful of people.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 01-23-2015 at 04:27 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Whats it cost to repaint a car these days?

Originally posted by VWEvo
    The body has very minor rust around the rear well wells but overall needs a respray.
    There's no such thing as minor rust on a classic, lol.

Expect $10g for a respray only, double that (at a minimum) for rust repair, because there's always more than you think.

Also Heighton Restorations in Beiseker... although he has a two year waiting list, and is NOT CHEAP (but the quality is unparalleled)
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 01-23-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    I know a guy down in Kalispell Montana. He specializes in rods and muscle cars. It's called Rocky Mountain Rods and Customs. He's the guy I bought my '38 off of. He does wicked work. There is this absolute guru down in Denver Colorado, his business is called "the metal surgeon". http://www.themetalsurgeon.com/ lol they have a truck like mine on his home page. But check out all he does... it's just nuts really.
    For interior work, Cascade Vans & interiors off of McKnight do excellent work as well
    Sorry to hijack, but my goodness, the work he did on the Porsche 356 is amazing.

My Ride
    K-car

Default Re: Re: Whats it cost to repaint a car these days?

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

There's no such thing as minor rust on a classic, lol.

Expect $10g for a respray only, double that (at a minimum) for rust repair, because there's always more than you think.

Also Heighton Restorations in Beiseker... although he has a two year waiting list, and is NOT CHEAP (but the quality is unparalleled)

That's the guy, and yes, his work is amazing.

http://www.heightonrestorations.com/Projects.page

My Ride

Originally posted by beyond_ban

Sorry to hijack, but my goodness, the work he did on the Porsche 356 is amazing.
    Yeah, I follow all his projects, my god I wish I had his skill.
    Just.

EDIT: Aha, just found another one, I thought he was in Alberta, but alas Sask isn't too far.
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=302614517
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 01-23-2015 at 08:13 PM.