Quantcast
Make Apple bring iMessage to BlackBerry, BlackBerry boss says - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Make Apple bring iMessage to BlackBerry, BlackBerry boss says

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Make Apple bring iMessage to BlackBerry, BlackBerry boss says

One word.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-shoul...ackberry-boss/

Apple's iMessage platform shouldn't just work on Apple products, but should be available on all kinds of devices, the CEO of BlackBerry has said.

BlackBerry, which a decade ago was a smartphone pioneer with its email-capable handsets, has suffered a high-profile decline as phone shoppers opted instead for touchscreen mobiles from the likes of Apple, or those running Google's Android operating system. The ailing firm's troubles came to a head in the second half of 2013 -- a period that saw staggering losses and job cuts, followed by a move away from hardware towards software and services, under the guidance of new boss John Chen.

Chen isn't too happy about other companies' approach to software, however. "Unlike BlackBerry," Chen writes in a blog post, "which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apple's iMessage messaging service. Netflix, which has forcefully advocated for carrier neutrality, has discriminated against BlackBerry customers by refusing to make its streaming movie service available to them. Many other application providers similarly offer service only to iPhone and Android users."

Chen's argument is tied to the debate over net neutrality, where advocates say that Internet providers shouldn't be allowed to prioritise Internet traffic to certain services. Chen says that laws should go further, suggesting that popular mobile apps shouldn't only be available to owners of certain gadgets, which is the case currently with plenty of apps.

"This dynamic," Chen continues, "Has created a two-tiered wireless broadband ecosystem, in which iPhone and Android users are able to access far more content and applications than customers using devices running other operating systems."

"Applications/content providers," Chen says, "must be prohibited from discriminating based on the customer's mobile operating system."

For Apple, however, its iMessage app, which lets owners of Apple products message each other for free, is one of the many offerings built to tempt shoppers into buying an iPhone, iPad or Mac. As such, Tim Cook and pals are unlikely to embrace the idea of sharing their handiwork with other platforms like BlackBerry.

Meanwhile, app-makers often cite fragmentation and development time issues as reasons why apps arrive on -- for instance -- Android before iOS, and would likely baulk at being forced to spend more time and money building versions of their apps for the relatively small number of people using other operating systems, such as BlackBerry or Windows Phone.

"Neutrality must be mandated at the application and content layer if we truly want a free, open and non-discriminatory internet," Chen writes.
    My favorite was his quote on his blog:

Unfortunately, not all content and applications providers have embraced openness and neutrality. Unlike BlackBerry, which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apple’s iMessage messaging service. Netflix, which has forcefully advocated for carrier neutrality, has discriminated against BlackBerry customers by refusing to make its streaming movie service available to them. Many other applications providers similarly offer service only to iPhone and Android users. This dynamic has created a two-tiered wireless broadband ecosystem, in which iPhone and Android users are able to access far more content and applications than customers using devices running other operating systems. These are precisely the sort of discriminatory practices that neutrality advocates have criticized at the carrier level.
    Where was BBM when BB was in the lead? haha
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The only other platform I would want iMessage on is Windows (at work) or a browser plug-in. Then again, bluecoat will likely block the port on my desktop.

My Ride
    Grimace

I thought it was pretty funny as that is what he thinks net neutrality is. No netflix either, but everyone else gets it!

I dont want any Apple products.....iTunes was enough

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

He's making a valid point, although in a ham-fisted way, and not from a position of strength.

Sadly, he's just coming off sounding like a crybaby.

In a related note, BBM for iphone is weak. I have an ongoing chat on BBM that's been active since 2010, and even though most of the users are no on other devices, it's still solidly tied to BBM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

What is Blackberry?

My Ride
    This and that.

I quite regularly switch between the Blackberry Passport and iPhone 6 and I am sort of torn about which one I like better. Passport is an amazing device, it feels and works really well. I like the ecosystem, hub and everything BB 10 allows you to do. Hell I have Android apps including Netflix that run without any issues on my Passport. I like the fact that it's kind of 'exclusive' now and no one uses it. Otherwise every single hand pretty much has an iPhone. I like the fact that I have a memory card that makes it easy to expand the memory and all although I have a 128GB iPhone so that doesn't really matter. The camera is excellent except for moving objects then it's shit.

On the other hand iMessage is handy for the iPhone 6, especially for sending free pictures as I don't picture messaging (I know!). It is more useable for 'fun' things like games and what not. I like it better for the music app and the way it makes it easy for me to have everything organized in iTunes. I like the picture organization better within the app. I like the camera which is so easy to use and super fast unless you're using flash then it ruins it.

Anyway long story short, I both brand new thinking I will end up keeping whichever one I live but I haven't been able to make up my mind. So I am keeping both and switch them every week or so. lol. Now thinking of getting an equivalent Windows and Android phone as I am a little bored of both the BB and iPhone. lol

I love my Blackberry Z30 (and the Z10 I had before that).

The majority of Android apps work just fine (and apparently better with 10.3.1) and the BB ecosystem is really strong for my work.

I would be upset if work forced us over to iPhones.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I just thought about this. BBM is probably not well used as it is. If iMessage is ported, BBM will be used even less.

Isn't that like shooting yourself in the foot?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I thought WhatsApp bridged all the gaps with cross platform messaging. Only die-hard legacy users of BBM and iMessage still use those apps

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Imessage is only popular because 90% of users don't know what it is. That's the beauty of it. No one is going to download an "imessage app". There's nothing amazing about it.

It's a great service but is only good because it is simple, seemleasly, no sign ups, redundant backup through sms.

In that way it's way better than bbm. Who cares about pins. Phone numbers are way better for the computer illiterate.

That's my opinion anyways
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Swank
    I thought WhatsApp bridged all the gaps with cross platform messaging. Only die-hard legacy users of BBM and iMessage still use those apps
    WhatsApp, or any other 3rd party chat app, sucks on iOS. It's Apple's problem with the way they do multitasking, which is why iMessage is so much better even when it's not.

Originally posted by killramos
    Imessage is only popular because 90% of users don't know what it is. That's the beauty of it. No one is going to download an "imessage app". There's nothing amazing about it.

It's a great service but is only good because it is simple, seemleasly, no sign ups, redundant backup through sms.

In that way it's way better than bbm. Who cares about pins. Phone numbers are way better for the computer illiterate.

People want to use something that's free, intuitive, and easy to use. It may not be the most powerful chat app, but it works well and is reliable, and great for collaboration if everyone else is on iOS.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Originally posted by killramos

I think BBM recently did away with PINs, now it just uses an email account to invite people which is as simple as a phone number these days.

I still prefer BBM as I used to be on a corporate Blackberry so I got very comfy with it. WhatsApp never seemed to work quite right for me. BBM has it's issues cross-platform too. Lately emoticons from some IOS users show up as black alien faces instead of the colorful smilies you'd expect. Dunno what the deal is there, but that's just cosmetic.

My Ride
    01 i30

If Apple did make iMessage cross platform I would be curious what it would do to its market share long term. It probably wouldn't drastically change with how invested people are with which ever app ecosystem they use. I really like lollipop so I would definitely think about switching if it happened.