Quantcast
CRTC bans simsubbing for Superbowl 2017! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CRTC bans simsubbing for Superbowl 2017!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default CRTC bans simsubbing for Superbowl 2017!

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/tv12.htm

Seeing Canadian Commercials during the Super Bowl

Ads during the Super Bowl get a lot of hype. They are an important part of the overall spectacle, and viewers look forward to watching them.

For Canadian viewers this has been a problem. They don’t see the same ads as those seen in the US because they are replaced with Canadian ads.

We heard Canadians

For a number of years, Canadians have complained to the CRTC that they want to see the American ads during the Super Bowl. Many Canadians spoke about this considerable irritation during Let’s Talk TV: A Conversation with Canadians. The CRTC has taken action to resolve the issue.

Beginning at the end of the 2016 NFL season (i.e., the Super Bowl in 2017), simultaneous substitution will no longer be allowed during the Super Bowl. Canadian viewers will see the same ads as American viewers.

Until then, you can watch the American ads broadcast during the Super Bowl on YouTube's AdBlitz channel.
    About time haha. Guess my DirecTV subscription is still cool for another 2 superbowls lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

It's about damn time. But of course, please wait two more years.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    G6

Seems pretty stupid to me. So now the stations that air the Super Bowl will get no AD revenue? Not like the American companies are gonna pay them anything... Yes, I hate the Canadian ADs too, but if they don't make money off them, they'll make it another way off the consumer.

Commercials are all on youtube now within an hour of the game so not sure who cares anyway.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Not sure how this is going to play out.

Canadian Broadcasters pay a pretty big premium to rebroadcast the superbowl here, and a way to recoup that cost is to sell advertising.

If they can't do that, not sure what their incentive will be.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Feruk
    Seems pretty stupid to me. So now the stations that air the Super Bowl will get no AD revenue? Not like the American companies are gonna pay them anything... Yes, I hate the Canadian ADs too, but if they don't make money off them, they'll make it another way off the consumer.
    The problem is they're double dipping. They're getting viewers dollars through subscription channels, AND ad revenue as well, to the tune of $250m per year (edited).

OTA broadcasts of the superbowl from local affiliates will still allow simsubbing to recoup the costs of the broadcast.

Simsubbing is fucking evil because the Canadian broadcasters do a terrible job of it. They push it so far to cram in more ads that shows get cut off, key plays get missed, all for the ability to sell more ads than the original broadcast. Then there's the quality difference, because local affiliates don't have the expertise to simsub properly, resulting in a poorer signal, even at full bitrate OTA. Sim subbing is the key reason why I've been a US TV subscriber for 15 years.

So in 2017, you can either watch it for free on CTV with Canadian ads, or watch the actual US feed that you pay for in your cable subscriptions on either TSN or the US network feed.

If you're bored, google up Simsub fail and look at all the problems with simsubbing on a weekly basis. You guys don't know what you're missing till you've watched pure US feeds.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado

It's fucking horrible watching clips of big bang with no voice instead it has some really annoying music while it waits for the feed to cut back it. FUCK it is the worst part of the game.
    Oh but atleast I get to watch the same fucking 4 sponsors commericals over and over and over during the game. FUCK

I never understood why if I am watching the game on Fox or CBS I would get stupid Canadian commercials.

The worst is when they cut to commercial but you know there is only 1 play left before the 2 minute warning for example and the Canadian commercials just roll through that play all the way till after the 2 minute warning.

I have counted multiple times where I have missed plays because they don't cut back to the game.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Commercials are all on youtube now within an hour of the game so not sure who cares anyway.
    I just pause it for the first hour and a half and then skip the commercials and half time. I'm probably part of the <10% that actually watches for the football game though, lol.
    Vettel's #1

I would love to do that as well, which I do for regular season games, but It will be tough as I will be at a buddies watching the game in my Seahawks jersey.

I wonder what the over/under on how many times I get yelled at for wearing what is thought to be a Ray Rice jersey when it is a Sidney Rice jersey.

Last week it happened 4 times haha.

Watching the playoffs on HD OTA was painful for the commercials.

They must have repeated 30 times, with extra bass. So painful after getting used to Netflix.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by rage2

Simsubbing is fucking evil because the Canadian broadcasters do a terrible job of it.

so true I can not stand it..

I will stream my dish box to ustream if anyone is interested free

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

who is ready for this event with Canadian tire, superstore ads and cliff-hanger "next on Coronation Street" this sunday
    Last edited by thetransporter; 01-31-2015 at 12:02 PM.

I got a conspiracy theory about Free to Air (OTA)

CityTV in Calgary channel 5.1 is giving me about half the signal strength of Omni (multicultural programming, and is usually broadcast at a pathetic wattage)

It seems to have happened right at about halftime during the playoffs last week. I think they figured out that the quality of the big game is better on HD OTA than Cable or satellite and are punching down the wattage to make sure people get crappy signal.

CBC is coming in about 10x stronger, which is strange considering they have cutbacks.

Can't have people enjoying stuff for free afterall. No free lunch in Canada, always everyday free lunch in US.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-31-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Some kind of Audi

Originally posted by thetransporter
    who is ready for this event with Canadian tire, superstore ads and cliff-hanger &quot;next on Coronation Street&quot; this sunday
    You forgot... "Cap it"

Fuuuuuuuuccckkkk

Bad news for cordcutters? Isn't OTA required when simsubbing? What's the incentive for the channels to provide free OTA? Are the mandatory carriage on basic channels enough for the broadcasters to keep OTA?

CRTC

As a result, the CRTC considers that free OTA television is an alternative to cable and satellite television that must be maintained for now (see Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-24). Should broadcasters choose to shut-down OTA transmitters, they will lose certain regulatory privileges, such as their mandatory carriage on the basic package of channels offered by cable and satellite companies and the ability to request simultaneous substitution (For more information about simultaneous substitution, see Seeing Canadian Commercials on American Channels).
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/tv16.htm

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The simsub ban only applies to the superbowl.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by ZenOps
    I got a conspiracy theory about Free to Air (OTA)

CityTV in Calgary channel 5.1 is giving me about half the signal strength of Omni (multicultural programming, and is usually broadcast at a pathetic wattage)

It seems to have happened right at about halftime during the playoffs last week. I think they figured out that the quality of the big game is better on HD OTA than Cable or satellite and are punching down the wattage to make sure people get crappy signal.

CBC is coming in about 10x stronger, which is strange considering they have cutbacks.

Can't have people enjoying stuff for free afterall. No free lunch in Canada, always everyday free lunch in US.

just use a old shaw drop amplifier with your antenna they work from 54-1000mhz l believe local dtv channels are 400-700

Originally posted by thetransporter
    just use a old shaw drop amplifier with your antenna they work from 54-1000mhz l believe local dtv channels are 400-700
    Thanks for the tips, but I'm finally shelling out the $30 to get a 4-bay with reflector. Been running a 30 year old bowtie and would only get a couple dropped signals a day last year, this year though much closer to couple drops every hour.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Much like any other CRTC actions, too little too late.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast