Quantcast
Reviving your love of cars through your children - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reviving your love of cars through your children

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Default Reviving your love of cars through your children

Old man time here...

As life goes on and your time & effort are consumed by things like the mortgage, career, daycare, blah blah blah it's hard to maintain that connection with cars. When you look in the garage there is something sensible & practical that closely resembles a bus, driving becomes a task, not a source of enjoyment.

Until your young child sees their first fast car and flips. Then they develop a preference for a Lambo instead of a Ferrari, a Camaro instead of a Mustang, whatever. And can tell the difference in traffic and spot their favourites from a distance. To see the joy in their eyes and hear the excitement in their voices, is this what it was like for our fathers? I hope so because even though I'm bound by the burden of doing what's right for the family financially speaking as my Dad did, I can still experience the sense of wonder from my kids.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My little girl is obsessed with construction equipment and helicopters. I was all about the machines when I was her ago too.
    It's really fun to see them start to have their preferences and dreams.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Sounds to me like your kid just gave you a good excuse to buy a Camaro.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

My dad and I are really only close because of cars. When I was little my dad would drop my mom off at the mall to do the shopping and then drive around with me in the parking lot spotting cars or driving over snow piles. I loved it. My first word was wheel and it was when I was in a parking lot with my dad. Still today we always talk cars and go to auto x together and lapping, but we both have completely different ideas and argue a lot.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My kid's obsessed with Thomas the train. I hope trains don't talk and have facial features in the future, cuz that would be creepy.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Originally posted by rage2
    My kid's obsessed with Thomas the train. I hope trains don't talk and have facial features in the future, cuz that would be creepy.
    lol...don't worry Rage, the train phase will pass and then you'll have all this crap around the house you can sell on Kijiji or give to the neighbour's kid.

Hey man, I started my life loving trains too. The first present I can remember was actually from my dad; it was a wooden model train set. I was like 3 or 4. Now, he and I are spending a month in May in Switzerland just taking train trips and going to the train museums throughout central and Western Europe. I love trains, so does he. You might find them interesting too.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My kids are absolutely obsessed with cars. They love going for drives in both of my cars. I'm currently in the process of acquiring a classic project car that we can do some work on.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride

Originally posted by Mibz
    Sounds to me like your kid just gave you a good excuse to buy a Camaro.
    The internal resistance to do something irrational like that is weakening.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by R154

Hey man, I started my life loving trains too. The first present I can remember was actually from my dad; it was a wooden model train set. I was like 3 or 4. Now, he and I are spending a month in May in Switzerland just taking train trips and going to the train museums throughout central and Western Europe. I love trains, so does he. You might find them interesting too.

Seriously though, I've always loved cars and my dad has never been a huge car guy. We've both always been into motorcycles of various types though.

And as the years go by, my dad's considering more and more finally buying a nice car (i.e. M5/CTS-V, etc). Looks like 2 decades of constant pressure from me is starting to finally wear him thin haha
    Last edited by bjstare; 01-29-2015 at 12:27 PM.

^ HAHA.

And we are going to CERN!!!
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

When I was 12 years old my dad came home with a 1959 Chevrolet Stepside painted corvette blue. The interior was mint and the seat was a beautiful deep burgandy red.

At that point I fell in love with classic vehicles and still have a huge soft spot in my heart for them.

I built a 1937 GMC hot rod for my 17 yo daughter and a 1951 Ford truck for my 18 yo son....they love their cars.
    My Dad thought a car was to get to the pub and back.

Default Re: Reviving your love of cars through your children

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Time to make the subtle shift from Thomas to Lego.

Worked for me and my son.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

lol...don't worry Rage, the train phase will pass and then you'll have all this crap around the house you can sell on Kijiji or give to the neighbour's kid.
    Sell for 10 C on the dollar...

You never get back what you spend on kids toys...

or lego...
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Originally posted by R154

Trains were the best when I was a kid. Don't get rid of that Thomas stuff though, it is a gold mine for passing down to future generations!

Man, did you ever touch a nerve with that post Bill.

I was thinking about this the other day. Don't know if it's just age, or depression or what...but I miss the days when something, ANYTHING elicited pure joy and excitement in me. There was a time when my car was my life! I washed and hand waxed it every weekend. I worked on it in between. I would sometimes just sit in it and listen to the radio. And of course endless cruising. Just driving for the sake of driving. Didn't care where...downtown, around the block, up and down past my school, anywhere.

Now, a vehicle is little more than a pain in the ass to me. It costs money, it breaks down, it eats gas. Even the family vehicle (Navigator) is nothing more than a thing to get me from here to there.

My son is a fanatic when it comes to cars. Knows the latest models, prices, options, limited editions and has built his RHD Nissan from the nuts up and back down again. It helps listening to him..but I still miss my own passion.

I fuckin hate getting old.

My Ride
    MDX

Mine skipped Thomas and went straight to transformers instead.

My Ride
    changes every year

Mine had the Thomas bug too. He now has about 300 hot wheels and knows all the muscle cars around. He's 5. He comes out to the garage to help me out with everything.

He is interested in everything I want to do, so he's wanting to get into mixing records too lol I can't wait til he's old enough to drive, we will ha e one bad ass ride together I'm thinking.

His first car is actually getting handed down fron his grandpa, a 1970 Rallye 350. Lucky little shit lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast