Quantcast
Rogers GSM Network - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogers GSM Network

Question Rogers GSM Network

Hey all,

I was just wondering on your experience or thoughts on the Rogers GSM network. I've heard or seen some problems with reception. I was wondering because I am looking into getting a GSM phone with Rogers, possibly the V60.

Thanks,

Anthony

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

rogers gsm = crap, don't even bother going with them, i don't reception anywhere, having a cell is like not having a cell... it seems like i'm carrying around an oversized watch/calender nowadays. i would rather be with fido for GSM service

Rogers GSM network is pure crap mainly because they just used their existing TDMA network and added GSM equipment to it. The Rogers GSM network is often referred to as a swiss cheese network because GSM technology requires far more cell sites than TDMA, so unless Rogers puts up more cell sites in between where they have their TDMA towers, their service will suck even though they claim 93% nationwide coverage.

If you are going to go GSM, go with Fido.
    ---

My Ride
    01 330i

I would say don't go Rogers or Fido... GSM has it's advantages but from people I have talked too it doesn't really work all that well (like mentioned earlier) Fido only has coverage in major cities, so if you are driving anywhere around the city limits you might not get coverage also if you are driving from Cal to Edm you will get no service. Telus has something called 1X used on the CDMA network, which so far has proved to be way better than GSM.

Shitty,
    Last weekend, there was this huge sale at the Telus store in Dragon City Mall in Chinatown. The V60 was soooooo cheap.
    Dammit, missed out on the sale.

Originally posted by Mr.Buffy
    Shitty,
    Last weekend, there was this huge sale at the Telus store in Dragon City Mall in Chinatown. The V60 was soooooo cheap.
    Dammit, missed out on the sale.
    How much was the V60 on sale for??
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

158/ 2 years + some stuff like car charger

My Ride
    BMW E70

Originally posted by crxboi
    rogers gsm = crap
    Well said. Same goes for Fido. I've been with Rogers, Fido and Telus. Telus is by far the best IMO. Telus' CDMA is far superior to Rogers GSM network.

Think if I go back to Telus they can give me the same deal as they had on last week?

Rogers's Gsm isn't that bad.. sure it has a few dead spots, but hey it's still a new network.. only been out 1yr in November.. Do you think fido was this good when they first came out ? Does anybody remeber No service at the University no matter where you were.. for like 2yrs until they finally put up a site on Social Science ?..

Rogers Gsm is decent, and Yes it could use some improvement, but it can only get better..

If you go back to Telus.. hope you like the Per minute billing..
    Atleast rogers will give you per second after the first minute. if your on a 40+ plan. Telus won't..

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

are u seriously ont he per min Silvercivicsir?? i thought thats just w/ pre-paid.. or is it for everything?

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

I think with telus, you can get per second billing but it costs extra a month for having it...

And I'm with Rogers GSM right now and yeah there are a lot of blindspots in the city where reception sucks!
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    BMW E70

I currently have 3 plans under my name with Telus. All of them have per second billing, and only one of them is over $40 a month for the base plan
    RBCVtec should be able to answer this, he works for Telus Mobility activations...

The per-minute billing was is for analog phones. And Rogers did this too. I'm pretty sure both companies have either phased them out or are phasing them out.
    Last edited by HRD2PLZ; 09-28-2002 at 11:59 AM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Originally posted by RCBVtec
    also if you are driving from Cal to Edm you will get no service.
    Maybe when FIDO was still new, but for the last year and a half or so its been working fine when I drive up to Edmonton.

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

RBCVtec where are u haha!

All New telus activations are billed by the minute.. if you had per second before.. you can keep it, however if your a NEW cx.. you will get billed by the minute.. the same with rogers, however atleast they have a loop hole to get per second after the first minute if you sign a 40+ plan.

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

oh fock haha i just signed the contract just las month... well shiet the only reaon i dropped my pay as u go to go contract is cuz of the per min billing.. .. must talk less. . on phone..

My Ride
    01 330i

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
    I currently have 3 plans under my name with Telus. All of them have per second billing, and only one of them is over $40 a month for the base plan
    RBCVtec should be able to answer this, he works for Telus Mobility activations...

The per-minute billing was is for analog phones. And Rogers did this too. I'm pretty sure both companies have either phased them out or are phasing them out.
    Ok here's the deal guys... any new activations are all per minute billing and no you can't pay extra per month a get per second. If you are an existing customer (like HRD2PLZ) you stay on per second, however if you change price plans you move to per minute; you can renew with the same plan and keep per second though. Our competitors i.e. Bell, Rogers have announced they will be doing the same, it's just a matter of time. Any other questions, let me know.

Mr. Buffy what plan are you talking about???
    Last edited by RCBVtec; 09-29-2002 at 09:50 AM.

My Ride
    01 330i

Originally posted by RCBVtec

Ok here's the deal guys... any new activations are all per minute billing and no you can't pay extra per month a get per second. If you are an existing customer (like HRD2PLZ) you stay on per second, but if you change price plans you go to per minute; you can stay on your same plan and keep per second though. Our competitors i.e. Bell, Rogers have announced they will be doing the same, it's just a matter of time. Any other questions, let me know.

Mr. Buffy what plan are you talking about???

WTF???? don't know how that double post happened???

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

Man that reallyl sux :madred:
    RCB buffy was talking about the sale cell city were having just last week in China town Dragon city, i think it was for the v60 1year/249 2 year/ 158 3 year/ 98 <correct me if im wrong> and they give u free stuff like if u go 3 years they give u car charger, free case, handfree head set etc etc.. but the plans is pretty much the same

i got a question for you RCBVtec... I think im w/ the $25 plan w/ conference call, voice mail, call waiting, caller ID and call foward.. i thought the guy mention something about my plan having unlimited weekends, but its not really on their plan.. list.. shreet thingl.. well do I ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast