Quantcast
Clean-Up of Dead Animal - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Clean-Up of Dead Animal

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I'm getting a new roof because of the hail, and moose is worse than hail. You're an insurance broker, right?, don't tell me you don't have moose insurance.

Masked Bandit, I need to be covered in case a dead moose shows up on my roof. Pls add coverage ASAP.

Dont Worry Bill, I am on it. Feel free to endorse your current policies.

PART I
    Dead Moose On The Roof Deductible and Limitation Endorsement

Attached to and forming part of DP 001. This Endorsement modifies insurance provided under Part I - Property Insured.

All the General Provisions, Conditions, Exclusions and Definitions of the Policy apply to this Endorsement except those specifically stated to apply only to other Parts. In addition, this Endorsement is subject to the exclusions, provisions, and conditions of Part I – Property Insured.

This Endorsement applies separately to each “scheduled risk location” specified on the “schedule”.

If the sequencing of any added clause in this Endorsement is in conflict with the sequencing of the respective clause of form DP 001 and any endorsements attached thereto, then this Endorsement is changed to the next available sequencing.

1. Dead Moose On The Roof DEDUCTIBLE
    The following is added to Part I Section 3. DEDUCTIBLE:
    (f) Dead Moose On The Roof Deductible: ________% subject to $___________ minimum deductible.
    We are liable for the amount by which the loss or damage caused directly or indirectly by a dead moose on your roof, whether driven by wind or not, exceeds the amount of the deductible(s) specified above for this Dead Moose On A Roof Deductible and Limitation Endorsement in any one
    occurrence. The amount of the deductible will be calculated as follows:
    (i) $25,000 or as otherwise shown as the deductible;
    (ii) If a percentage is shown as the deductible, the amount of the deductible will be calculated as follows:

(1) if only Building(s), as defined and limited by Part I Section 2. Insured Property (a) Building(s), suffer Dead Moose On The Roof loss or damage, the amount of the deductible is the deductible percentage multiplied by the amount of insurance specified on the “schedule” for Building;

(2) if only Business Personal Property, as defined and limited by Part I Section 2. Insured Property (b) Business
    Personal Property, suffer Dead Moose On The Roof loss or damage, the amount of the deductible is the deductible percentage multiplied by the amount of insurance specified on the “schedule” for Business Personal Property;

(3) if both Building(s) and Business Personal Property, as defined and limited by Part I Section 2. Insured Property (a)
    Building(s) and Part I Section 2. Insured Property (b) Business Personal Property respectively, suffer Dead Moose On The Roof loss or damage, the amount of the deductible is the deductible percentage multiplied by the sum of the amount of insurance
    specified on the “schedule” for Building plus the amount of insurance specified on the “schedule” for Business
    Personal Property.

2. Dead Moose On The Roof LIMITATION
    The following exclusions are added to Part I Section 6. EXCLUDED PROPERTY but only for loss or damage caused directly or indirectly by a Dead Moose On The Roof, whether driven by wind or not. These exclusions apply whether there are one or more other causes or events (whether covered or not) that contribute concurrently or in any sequence to the occasioning of the loss or damage:
    (s) the roof or siding of any building(s) or structure(s) at the “scheduled risk location”. However, we will only apply this exclusion if the functional performance of the aforementioned property has not been degraded or compromised or if the loss or damage is only cosmetic. We will not apply this exclusion to the roof if the roof has been punctured by the a Dead Moose On The Roof or to the siding if the siding has been punctured by the a Dead Moose On The Roof;
    (t) Fixtures, signs, machinery and equipment that are permanently attached to a building, yard equipment or outdoor furniture, all as defined and limited by Part I Section 2. Insured Property (a) Building(s). However, we will only apply this exclusion if the
    functional performance of the aforementioned property has not been degraded or compromised or if the loss or damage is only
    cosmetic;
    (u) Business Personal Property situated outside of any building or structure which is covered by a roof other than the poly-tarp or
    cover-all type. However, we will only apply this exclusion if the functional performance of the Business Personal Property has
    not been degraded or compromised or if the loss or damage is only cosmetic; or
    (v) Outdoor Property, all as defined and limited by Part I Section 8. Extension of Coverage (bb) Outdoor Property. However, we will only apply this exclusion if the functional performance of the aforementioned property has not been degraded or
    compromised or if the loss or damage is only cosmetic.

All other terms and conditions remain unchanged.

My Ride
    oooo

Dannie,

The fat will definitely have broken down and got onto the roofing materials, but it can be cleaned out.

Call Chemfax in Calgary. I do work in food processing plants and they have stuff that will clean that right up. Something like an engine degreaser (Castrol Super Clean) would work too but I don't know if it would damage your shingles. So I would just cal Chemfax.

That being said I've seen chemicals that are food safe make that wash completely away and dissolve all the fats so there is no residue.
    Last edited by sillysod; 02-05-2015 at 04:03 PM.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Dave, Can you call me about adding this endorsement to my home policy? I honestly don't want to have to deal with when this happens, and it appears it's just a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I was hoping to not have to go into depth... but here it goes.

I live in a warehouse in the middle of downtown Calgary. There are 5 warehouse bays that all have residences in them as well. All 5 units have access to the roof top via a hatch in each unit. Each unit has rooftop terraces (mine is 1100 sq feet) that are absolutely stunning. There is no access from the ground.

Yesterday, one of the warehouse bays was having an issue with the HVAC unit on the roof, so they called Alaska refrigeration to come out and fix it. Dude found this mess. I got the call to come home and sort it out.

Turns out, it wasn't flying monkeys or super-hero-strength magpies... the neighbour (who is... a little off - to put it mildly) told her landlord that she has taken up taxidermy and it is up there "salting and drying" since November. She told him she is going to roll it up and take it back to the school (again, not sure how she plans to do this considering it is frozen to the decking). Once it's out of there, the giant mess underneath will have to be cleaned. Because it's an asphalt roof, I didn't want to clean up the bones, fat etc without knowing how to do it properly.

That all being said - thanks boys! Your epic responses have made my crazy, clusterfuck of a day - a little more funny.

Fourrings and Sillysod - Thanks! I will make sure to talk to chemfax and use the 50:50 mixture when it's gone

Originally posted by fourrings
    After you have removed the mystery moose, clean the roof with a 50:50 mix of laundry strength liquid chlorine bleach and water. Apply with a sprayer and allow the solution to soak on the roof surface for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off with low pressure water, garden hose pressure ideally.

Do not use any sort of de-greaser or insoluble solution, it will melt the tar in the asphalt roof, which then in turn will ruin your eavestroughs

At least it's cold, less smell when the mystery moose is frozen.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by sillysod
    Dannie,

The fat will definitely have broken down and got onto the roofing materials, but it can be cleaned out.

Call Chemfax in Calgary. I do work in food processing plants and they have stuff that will clean that right up. Something like an engine degreaser (Castrol Super Clean) would work too but I don't know if it would damage your shingles. So I would just cal Chemfax.

That being said I've seen chemicals that are food safe make that wash completely away and dissolve all the fats so there is no residue.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Call F&W.

If buddy doesn't have a tag or license for the fur you can have him fined and jailed.

My Ride
    EG6

Sue the shit out of that bitch. She is 100% responsible for cleaning and repair.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by mr2mike
    ^^ lol, been boring on that app lately or what?
    The only time I look at it is when someone on Beyond posts funny shit on there. I just thought it'd be funny and random as hell for anyone who looks through it hahaha

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

That is seriously fucked up. So, the roof has a shared decking space and this crazy chick decided to leave a dead moose up there to rot. Honestly, I'd be calling Fish & Wildlife about it. That just simply can't be legal, and she would at the very least be responsible for any cleanup charges.

I mean seriously... who does that? Sounds like an ACAD student to me lol.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departm...f/all/rsb10366
    Last edited by codetrap; 02-05-2015 at 10:17 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

No way this is legal and "salting and aging" meat doesn't take place outside in open air.

There's gotta be hunters on here who can chime in but even if the person had a tag they can still be fined for indecency of an animal carcass or something to that extent and have their hunting license revoked.

You can't just treat a dead animal like that and any hunter will tell you there's something about respect.
    Definitely call fish and wildlife.
    http://esrd.alberta.ca/about-esrd/co...-contacts.aspx

Fish and wildlife was called. So was 311. The whole situation is disgusting. My staff think it's hilarious because for the last month and a half, I complained about a weird smell at my house. Looking back, it was on days that were warmer. I had attributed it to downtown living or the restaurant next door or my neighbour not taking out garbage. Never would I have ever guessed it was a moose carcass.

How can someone even think that leaving a dead animal on shared property is normal?

I would have your place professionally assessed by some dead-animal-carcass-smell investigator guy and determine if there is any real risk associated with that decaying carcass.

Originally posted by bimmere92
    I would have your place professionally assessed by some dead-animal-carcass-smell investigator guy
    Might need to update my post in the Dream Job thread.

Mibz: If you've taken girls home from Cowboys at Stampede time, you're probably already qualified.

dude, dont talk about his wife that way. asshole.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Originally posted by bimmere92
    How can someone even think that leaving a dead animal on shared property is normal?

I would have your place professionally assessed by some dead-animal-carcass-smell investigator guy and determine if there is any real risk associated with that decaying carcass.
    It isn't normal.... at all.

I have no idea how someone in their right mind could think that it's ok. The owner is going to have to garbage the decking (approx. $2k worth), replace it and then we need to attempt to clean the asphalt and hope that theres no after effects. With the weather being so beautiful out - that bitch is going to stink today. Hopefully F&W will have it removed before I get home.

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by dannie
    Fish and wildlife was called. So was 311. The whole situation is disgusting. My staff think it's hilarious because for the last month and a half, I complained about a weird smell at my house. Looking back, it was on days that were warmer. I had attributed it to downtown living or the restaurant next door or my neighbour not taking out garbage. Never would I have ever guessed it was a moose carcass.
    After chatting with you on Instagram, how does this story keep getting worse... WTF. Didn't realize it was up there for months. Jeezus.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 09:58 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

This is an absolutely retarded story. Not only is there ZERO justification for her putting that moose up there in the first place, it makes it even less justified when you consider she left it there throughout the winter, where it could not possibly had been drying, or whatever she felt was a good reason to put it up there in the first place.

In addition to that - how does she even get a moose up there? Is this an Amazon woman or something? She had to have had help, no? Did those helpers not consider this to be a rather odd request?

This is just right fucked up.

Originally posted by xnvy
    After chatting with you on Instagram, how does this story keep getting worse... WTF. Didn't realize it was up there for months. Jeezus.
    Yup.. since November

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    The fuck?! One thing I still don't get, is it on the common area of the rooftop or on their section or OP's section?

The area is exclusive use. So, we all have planter barriers to signify where our spaces end. However, where this is - is partially on my space, mostly on theirs. I will see if I can find a pic of the roof top

Originally posted by Kloubek
    This is an absolutely retarded story. Not only is there ZERO justification for her putting that moose up there in the first place, it makes it even less justified when you consider she left it there throughout the winter, where it could not possibly had been drying, or whatever she felt was a good reason to put it up there in the first place.

In addition to that - how does she even get a moose up there? Is this an Amazon woman or something? She had to have had help, no? Did those helpers not consider this to be a rather odd request?

This is just right fucked up.
    There is no good reason to justify it. None. I have no idea how she got it up there. She isn't a big girl and her live in boyfriend isn't a big guy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast