Quantcast
Driving high safer than driving drunk? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Driving high safer than driving drunk?

Default Driving high safer than driving drunk?

So. Much. Popcorn.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Why is there a question mark in the OP subject line?

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

We should do a beyond experiment involving forza, some booze and some marijuana.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by BavarianBeast

We should do a beyond experiment involving forza, some booze and some marijuana.
    I'm down (alcohol)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm down as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is broken

Beyond Forza 6 launch party?
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Shlade

I'm down (alcohol)
    The only way it would work properly is if each person did sober/drunk/stoned on 3 different occasions.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

I can't speak to driving an automobile, but I've done enough mountain biking under the effects of Marijuana vs Alcohol vs sober and my findings match this study 100%. My times while sober vs high are almost identical for the same trail, sometimes even faster high. Drunk is drastically different; way less control, much slower, it takes my full concentration to even stay on my bike. I would never even consider doing a double black or highly difficult trail drunk, I'd kill myself. The same trails I would have no problem riding sober/high (and posting a pretty decent time too, at least in the Strava world).

^ I am way more alert when I'm high haha maybe it's just me.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Default Re: Driving high safer than driving drunk?

So, should we all assume that we're safe to blaze one and go for a joyride whenever the whimsy strikes us? Absolutely not. There's plenty of evidence showing that marijuana use impairs key driving skills. If you get really stoned and then get behind the wheel, you're asking for trouble.

What we do need, however, are better roadside mechanisms for detecting marijuana-related impairment. Several companies are developing pot breathalyzers for this purpose.
    From the paper:

Cannabis smoking increases lane weaving and impaired cognitive function. Critical-tracking tests, reaction times, divided-attention tasks, and lane-position variability all show cannabis-induced impairment. Despite purported tolerance in frequent smokers, complex tasks still show impairment.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

This was all talked about in another thread a few months ago. Most people who "indulge" thought they were just fine to drive when high.

I've driven high, and for me, although my driving skill is still quite high my attention to details and reasoning skills are not. So for me, I'm certainly a better driver clean - and I'd be very surprised if most were not the same.

With that said, the difference between driving drunk and driving high (on weed) is astronomical. As for other drugs - I guess it depends on the drug and what it does to your body and nervous system. So someone on cocaine can probably drive just fine. Someone on mushrooms - most likely not.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: Driving high safer than driving drunk?

Originally posted by blitz

From the paper:

Cannabis smoking increases lane weaving and impaired cognitive function. Critical-tracking tests, reaction times, divided-attention tasks, and lane-position variability all show cannabis-induced impairment. Despite purported tolerance in frequent smokers, complex tasks still show impairment.
    But no additional accidents because they're so slow, everybody around them has no problem going around.

According to my wife I'm a much better driver when I'm stoned... I'm one of those, you cut me off without using a blinker ill honk, or if you do something stupid like ride my ass when Im ten over the limit I break check your ass... when im stoned i drive the limit ...and dont care wtf morons are doing around me (flying past and weaving in traffic) haha and I ALWAYS obey the law and get through check stops.... even with the blunt lit..

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by egmilano
    According to my wife I'm a much better driver when I'm stoned... I'm one of those, you cut me off without using a blinker ill honk, or if you do something stupid like ride my ass when Im ten over the limit I break check your ass... when im stoned i drive the limit ...and dont care wtf morons are doing around me (flying past and weaving in traffic) haha and I ALWAYS obey the law and get through check stops.... even with the blunt lit..
    Jeez man do you drive a brown toyota or lexus while doing it? People always complain about elderly drivers and female asians because they drive exactly like this. You don't have to be involved in the accident to have caused it. Driving out of line with the flow of traffic and randomly braking because your ass is getting ridden due to holding up traffic because you are stoned isn't much better than cutting people off etc etc.

Don't see the big deal with driving perfectly sober.

I'd also add some cold meds can really give one a decent buzz. I normally bump up 25-50% of the advised dosage. Everyone ignores the warning on the side about "operating machinery". I shrug knowing I'm not driving or operating a tractor or backhoe, all is good. I was taking a cold med a few weeks ago, not drinking at all (who does with a cold?), driving home from Cochrane at night, I was seeing double tail and brake lights. Pulled over and let my wife drive the rest of the way.

I'd like to see a test of drivers on various cold meds.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-11-2015 at 12:18 AM.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by egmilano
    I ALWAYS obey the law and get through check stops.... even with the blunt lit..
    I highly doubt this...

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."