Quantcast
Cyclist doesn't want to pay for damages in accident - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclist doesn't want to pay for damages in accident

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Cyclist doesn't want to pay for damages in accident

This should be a fun discussion haha. Guy doesn't want to pay because he's poor. He ran a red light, claims he was distracted by another cyclist blocking traffic, and was hit by a Toyota SUV turning. Pretty obvious he's in the wrong here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-suv-1.2952836

When cyclist Rylan Kafara walked away from a car crash more than a year ago, he counted himself lucky.

Now a major insurance company wants Kafara to pay more than $6,000 in damages, or it will try to take away his driver’s licence.

The bill is for damage to a 2013 Toyota Venza that was scratched and dented in a crash with the cyclist. The driver filed a claim with Wawanesa Insurance to cover the repairs. The company now wants Kafara to pay up.

“I bounced off the SUV,” Kafara said. “And when I hit the ground, my head snapped back as I hit the concrete.”

Kafara was headed toward a red light at the corner of 112th Avenue and 68th Street, cycling home from a swim after work. A copy of his official collision statement says he was distracted when another cyclist cut across the road into the oncoming lane and blocked traffic. That’s when Kafara and the Toyota collided.

“Complete shock that it was actually happening,” he said. “Because I was slowing down for the intersection and this car was turning, I got up thinking it wasn’t that big a deal.”

A few months later, a bill came in the mail: $6,223.

Kafara has a modest job at an Edmonton homeless shelter, paid by a grant that will run out in March.

A lawyer friend offered to represent him pro bono. He wrote letters to the insurance company, saying Kafara was not in a position to pay. The company responded, insisting Kafara had run a red light.

The most threatening letter from the company came in December. In it, the company’s lawyer said it would sue and try to suspend his driver’s license.

“Please advise if your client is prepared to enter into settlement negotiations, or if I should simply proceed to issue a Civil Claim, and then pursue any recovery once judgement is obtained by suspending your client’s licence,” reads the letter.

One expert questions the ethics of the wording.

“I’m reading it as the insurance company flexing its muscles and playing a poker game here,” said Sivan Tumarkin, an insurance lawyer who used to represent insurance companies in similar cases.

“They’re saying to the cyclist, pay up, or we’re going to go after you. And not only after you, but after your ability to drive, buy groceries and make a living.”

Legally, it is possible to seek a licence suspension in Alberta as a remedy after a civil judgment. But Tumarkin said there’s no guarantee the court would find in the company’s favour.

“Let’s face it, by the time this civil action is done, the insurance company will likely pay their lawyer more than what they could potentially get from the cyclist,” Tumarkin said.

He was surprised that an organization with more than $8 billion in assets would go to such lengths over a relatively small sum, with no witnesses to prove either side of the story.

To be successful with a lawsuit, Wawanesa would have to prove not only that Kafara was at fault, but also negligent.

“It’s not typical in my experience,” Tumarkin said.

“It’s such a ridiculous situation to be in, where Wawanesa is really concerned about $6,000 worth of damage to the vehicle when the cyclist could have been killed.”

CBC contacted Wawanesa Insurance several times to request an interview and received no response.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Woe is me

Cyclist ran a red, hit a car (private property) and caused damage to it. Just because you don't make a lot of money does not excuse you from your responsibilities when you damage what someone else worked hard to pay for. It is stories like this that make me think people who commute on bikes should be carrying some sort of insurance.

If every insurance company didn't "go to such lengths over a relatively small sum" word would get out that if the damage is less then $XXXX don't worry, you don't have to pay it if you don't want to, the insurance company won't do anything about it. Take speeding 10 over for example, its an unwritten rule the cops will leave you be, 10 over is still 10 over (Just an example. Don't flame me for it. I'm not saying I don't do it). With his police report and admitting he hit the vehicle it is a pretty open and shut case. I don't know what leg he thinks he has to stand on here, but the evidence is against him. Does not matter that there were no other witnesses, pretty hard to fight the police report that you wrote and signed.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    99 Blazer

How about plates and a mandatory minimum of 5k a year insurance. So $100 a year or probably way less to be a cyclist.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Default Re: Cyclist doesn't want to pay for damages in accident

Originally posted by rage2
    and was hit by a Toyota SUV turning.
    From the article it sounds like he was the one that hit the SUV, not the other way around. Would be interesting to see where the damage on the SUV was. I am willing to bet it was to the side.

EDIT*** Just saw the damage pic. Looks to be around the headlight area. I still say it was more a side impact.
    Last edited by quick_scar; 02-11-2015 at 10:01 AM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Distracted cycling is the real problem
    Cyclists have to pay attention and follow the rules of the road also, just like cars.

My Ride
    This and that.

Just cause it's a relatively 'small' amount for them they should let it go? If everyone had that mentality, we would have far fewer lawsuits in this country. Keeping my personal animosity against the way cyclists ride their bicycles aside, it's his fault and he is liable.

Default Re: Re: Cyclist doesn't want to pay for damages in accident

Originally posted by quick_scar

From the article it sounds like he was the one that hit the SUV, not the other way around. Would be interesting to see where the damage on the SUV was. I am willing to bet it was to the side.
    Front left corner.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: Cyclist doesn't want to pay for damages in accident

There's a photo of the damage.

I'm guessing $8k isn't just repair damage, but administrative costs, and maybe some soft tissue claims on the drivers part?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea i have no idea how this is the insurance company playing a poker game. Its open and shut.

They are proceeding exactly as they would have if buddy was driving a car. Which is exactly as they should.

Hmm maybe there is something behind the concept of all cyclists using public roads carrying insurance, and probably registration.

Buddies lawyer sounds like an idiot.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

The article is really unclear as to what actually happened. It doesn't really say he ran the red light but he "slowed down for it".

I actually know this guy haha.

Same thing some people use as an excuse to not pay for tickets from the city and pretty much any life event

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Let police determine who is at fault based on the law. If it was the cyclist, he should pay up. If it was the car driver, its on them. I am pretty sure we know the answer to this already as I doubt the insurance company would go after him if the driver was found to be at fault.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

more bike lanes!!!!
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

He rides a bike, why does he care that they're threatening to take away his drivers license

Can you get an insurance policy on a bicycle?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Work out a payment plan and accept your responsibilities.

Where are the people who scream that bike riders/owners shouldn't need insurance because the cars are bigger and can cause more damage?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Let police determine who is at fault based on the law. If it was the cyclist, he should pay up. If it was the car driver, its on them. I am pretty sure we know the answer to this already as I doubt the insurance company would go after him if the driver was found to be at fault.
    Insurance companies have their own rules among themselves and police tickets sometimes don't determine how insurance will judge the case. At least this is what I was told when a coworker had to sue her insurance that deemed her at fault even though police issued a ticket to the other driver for an unsafe turn.

Lame excuse trying to say a company worth 8 billion is trying to collect 6k in damages and he could of been killed but admitted to causing the accident. You share the road, you share the same responsibility when an accident happens. Case closed, no sympathy here. If he had full coverage insurance this wouldn't be an issue.

Here we go again!

They should report what actually happened. In my mind it sounds like the Insurance company is just trying to strong arm him into paying.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Yeah... I get that the guy doesn't have the means to pay, but that doesn't mean he should be exempt from responsibility.

Pay more attention next time. The Venza driver shouldn't be out of pocket for this guy's ignorance.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast