Quantcast
City of Calgary purchases land from GSL Chev, West Village/new Arena coming? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: City of Calgary purchases land from GSL Chev, West Village/new Arena coming?

Hopefully if the arena goes there they build an airport style underground moving walkway to shuffle everyone to the Sunalta LRT station.

A properly built dining/entertainment hub would also result in more people sticking around and spreading out the traffic leaving the area all at once.

IMO they should build the arena in Seton and fast track the SELRT
    ---

WOrst location ever.

McMahon still would do very well if UofC dropped the money to put a proper indoor facility.
    Add tennis center
    baseball training center
    track and field stuff around the outside of one of those
    Massive stacked parking garage for a few thousand spots
    Propper access across crowchild to the c-train

The parking alone could pay out this project in a few years.

Raise the Stamps ticket price for the luxury of indoor sports.

Raise tuition too.... oh wait, already done.

Originally posted by mr2mike
    WOrst location ever.

McMahon still would do very well if UofC dropped the money to put a proper indoor facility.
    Add tennis center
    baseball training center
    track and field stuff around the outside of one of those
    Massive stacked parking garage for a few thousand spots
    Propper access across crowchild to the c-train

The parking alone could pay out this project in a few years.

Raise the Stamps ticket price for the luxury of indoor sports.

Raise tuition too.... oh wait, already done.
    Like this maybe?

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

The space is there - that's for sure. Could build the new arena and stadium while keeping McMahon in service.

Nice.
    Yeah, seeing that, you can for sure see McMahon in service while the stadium gets built.

Moving the Saddledome there, I don't see the merit with it being more of a corporately funded institution, needs to stay downtown or close to it.
    If it moved up North, you'd need more resturants and bars around to house the pre-game crowds.
    Saigon Y2K, isn't going to cut it. lol

Also the Flames Group is more together with Stampede committee as compared to the University. Doubtful the UofC has the leadership to get this done.

I will pat the back of whomever at the UofC decided to buy up all that land years ago for future growth. Good thinking.

Talking

Originally posted by M.alex
    So rather than invest money in worthwhile stuff like new hospitals, let's buy land for buildings where a bunch of drunk hicks can congregate and watch people getting paid a few hundred million dollars push a little ball/puck/object around a field.

Said during every PE high school class... "We have last pick, I guess we'll take M.alex"

New hospital in the deep SE, more like a large hotel inside. Not busy at all from what I saw last month. I hear what you are saying though and agree somewhat. I'll need a hospital many times in my life, I'll bet I will never need a convention or sports complex. Wants and needs.

The city needs this though, what we have is a joke and falling apart. Regina has crap hospitals and a new stadium. Calgary can have both.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-12-2015 at 04:03 PM.

There is no way in hell the Sunalta C-train station can handle the masses after a flames game.

(as someone who goes there every day)

Originally posted by BigMass

agreed. If the city is going to spend money on something non essential like a hospital, put it towards something that would get global recognition, something to do with science, not fucking sports.
    You jokes are the problem with our city. Science? Yes let's invest in science, I'm sure we can outpace silicon valley with the capital that was to be used redevelop west village with new sports venues Pointless endeavour for a city / community our size.

Calgary is a progressive, growing and young 1M+ pop. city and the fact the we don't have proper sports venues for a city this size is fairly embarssing. You should realize that some people enjoy live entertainment in public places and supporting our cities teams and energy instead of sitting at home watching cosmos in your NE/NW neighbourhood. Terribly disappointing to hear 'Calgarians' such as yourself whining about any shred of identity and culture our city tries build. Hopefully everything goes ahead and the entire project is approved. We can look at Landsdowne Park in Ottawa as an example of the TD Place stadium did for a community (new bars, resturants, condos) Its incredible.

My Ride
    Z

You aren't going to find a lot of support for public dollars into this. Do you pay property taxes?
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2