Quantcast
City of Calgary purchases land from GSL Chev, West Village/new Arena coming? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: City of Calgary purchases land from GSL Chev, West Village/new Arena coming?

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Default City of Calgary purchases land from GSL Chev, West Village/new Arena coming?

http://calgaryherald.com/business/co...a-condo-towers

The City of Calgary now officially owns the GSL land on the western outskirts of downtown leading to speculation on what it plans to do with its real estate holdings of more than 12 hectares in the area along Bow Trail.

A new home for the Calgary Flames and perhaps even the Calgary Stampeders? Or a development called West Village similar to the mixed-use project coming out of the ground in East Village now.

The area, bounded by the Bow River to the north and Crowchild Trail to the west, has huge potential development opportunities.

Jillian Henderson, spokeswoman for the City of Calgary, confirmed the city has purchased the more than four-hectare GSL land, at 1720 Bow Trail S.W., from General Supplies Co. Ltd. for about $36.9 million.

“The reason that this parcel was purchased was actually more of an opportunity acquisition,” said Henderson. “There’s the whole west downtown redevelopment piece that went to council and so we just saw that as an opportunity acquisition and it may be used for municipal use down the road or it may not but that’s really why the land was purchased.”

Among other parcels of land in the area, the city also owns the Greyhound site, which is nearly two hectares.

Ken King, president and chief executive of the Calgary Flames, said he could not make any comments about the site or future plans by the organization
    I would love to see a new arena for the Stampeder's/Flames but I'd prefer no tax dollars go in to it. Should be interesting to see what actually happens with the land over the next few years. I wonder where GSL would relocate.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There's already an extensive plan for West Village there. I'm surprised that the city didn't own the land before. I always assumed they did, and leased it out to GSL.

https://postmediacalgaryherald.files...illage_arp.pdf

Let the cleanup begin! Wonder how much that'll cost.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

heard La Caille's got a shiny new quarter to give to the city for this parcel.

Finally, someone listening to my mantra. Now is the city able to dig deep and "World Class (Calgarians love to abuse this word)" this project? Calgary has the most confusing of traffic signs combined with a deep love of spaghetti networks as an overall road philosophy slash religion:

Richard White, an urban strategist with Ground3 Inc. Landscape Architects, said the potential for development in that area is huge.

“It’s on the west side. It’s got great exposure to the river. It’s got great exposure to the pathway and eventually to Edworthy Park,” said White. “It’s closer to both universities (Mount Royal University and the University of Calgary) which are just 10 minutes away. The access on that side. But it also comes with a lot of complications. The spaghetti network of roads … The infrastructure of roads and how important they are as commuter routes make it difficult to create a true village there.

“We all know the Flames have talked about how whether that’s a place for an arena and a football stadium which is what I’m hearing. They would actually do both. Potentially it’s an area for maybe a new convention centre. If you were really thinking big, do you move the Convention Centre and create what’s called a SHED which is a Sports, Hospitality, Entertainment District?”
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-12-2015 at 11:10 AM.

how about a launch pad for a Canadian space program with a goal of sending the first human to Mars :p But seriously, anything but sports.

New football stadium, new arena and a new convention center - it would all fit...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

I don't get why we need new arenas. What are we going to do with McMahon and the Stampede? Landfill sites? Just renovate them if they need it.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So they want to put a traffic circle into 14th st sw - thank god i dont use that road to commute.

Actually it looks like they want to fuck with bow trail and 6ave as well. Not sure how they are planning to make traffic work.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 02-12-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by BigMass
    I don't get why we need new arenas. What are we going to do with McMahon and the Stampede? Landfill sites? Just renovate them if they need it.
    You can't renovate design flaws. Well you can, but it'll cost more to do that than to build from scratch. Look at MSG's 3 year off season renovation. Logistics nightmare, and over $1b in cost, and that's not even O&G construction rates.

Originally posted by nzwasp
    So they want to put a traffic circle into 14th st sw - thank god i dont use that road to commute.

Actually it looks like they want to fuck with bow trail and 6ave as well. Not sure how they are planning to make traffic work.
    I'm pretty sure this plan was scrapped. The whole west village section has been nuked off CoC's website. I was just pointing out that they had this (actually 2) full on designs without even owning the land.

The link is from an archive on Calgary Herald's site.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by BigMass
    McMahon is owned by the U of C, sits on U of C land and would probably remain as is - that isn't a we (CoC tax payer) issue. The Saddledome is owned by the CoC and would probably stay where it is and be utilized by the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede which probably won't be an issue either.

As far as why they both probably need to be replaced, that's been beat almost to death elsewhere on these forums - search it up.
    Last edited by speedog; 02-12-2015 at 11:36 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing

So rather than invest money in worthwhile stuff like new hospitals, let's buy land for buildings where a bunch of drunk hicks can congregate and watch people getting paid a few hundred million dollars push a little ball/puck/object around a field.

sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by M.alex
    So rather than invest money in worthwhile stuff like new hospitals, let's buy land for buildings where a bunch of drunk hicks can congregate and watch people getting paid a few hundred million dollars push a little ball/puck/object around a field.

agreed. If the city is going to spend money on something non essential like a hospital, put it towards something that would get global recognition, something to do with science, not fucking sports.

Originally posted by rage2

Let the cleanup begin! Wonder how much that'll cost. [/B]

Very interesting. We all know the ground is extremely contaminated, and to do a proper clean up would be outrageously expensive. So maybe float a stadium/parking lot over it would be the least expensive option to the whole mess.
    At the same time, the City should buck up and rebuild Crowchild Trail over the Bow. Might as well just construction-fawk the area solid for 3-5 years and call it good.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Interesting.

Uh maybe I'll just go update my resume...

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

Holy crap that is going to be a traffic nightmare.

The only worse place they could have possibly picked for it would be directly in the core, replacing a parking garage.

Originally posted by rage2
    I'm pretty sure this plan was scrapped. The whole west village section has been nuked off CoC's website. I was just pointing out that they had this (actually 2) full on designs without even owning the land.

The link is from an archive on Calgary Herald's site.
    The plan wasn't scrapped, you can find it here:
    http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...illage-arp.pdf

It was approved in 2010, it's still in their list of plans here:
    http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/P...lications.aspx

This purchase was just to facilitate the West Village redevelopment, all this talk about arenas is just media speculation.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Interesting.

Uh maybe I'll just go update my resume...
    I wouldn't worry about it. It will be years before anything actually gets built and it's not like a new home won't be found for your situation.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    '03 ep3

After a Flames game that interchange between the 6 AVE on ramp to Crowchild will be backed up for kilometers.

They would have to completely re-develop that entire interchange for things to not be a nightmare.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I wouldn't worry about it. It will be years before anything actually gets built and it's not like a new home won't be found for your situation.
    Yeah I am sure it will be 3-5 years at the least.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
    After a Flames game that interchange between the 6 AVE on ramp to Crowchild will be backed up for kilometers.

They would have to completely re-develop that entire interchange for things to not be a nightmare.
    If the Arena is going in there, the city will have to fast track the Crowchild upgrades. It's not just the interchange that's a problem, it's the lights after the interchange (on the NW side) that throttles traffic and creates a backup nightmare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast