Quantcast
Volkswagen Golf R/GTI Mega Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf R/GTI Mega Thread

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea i don't understand how people honestly think a 6 speed would be faster than dsg shifted manualy? Maybe you could launch the car better but for rolling, on power shifts the DSG will ALWAYS win. Its just faster.

Does VW's programming not let you redline it or something?

This isn't an AMG DCT with their stupid shift delays

Why a race driver would ever keep a car in automatic on a track, esp while testing its speed, is beyond me
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^^^^^read the reviewwwww
    wouldn't let him shift like he wanted

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by schocker
    ^^^^^^read the reviewwwww
    wouldn't let him shift like he wanted
    I did

In Sport mode the transmission was not downshifting until I gave it the gas. Well, that's too late. It needs to already be in the gear."
    That's a software in the automatic not telling the car to shift problem ( because he left it in automatic) not a DSG wont let me shift problem.

Unless he had his shift points massively wrong ( doubtful ) and tried to downshift near redline a DSG WILL let you downshift at a click of the paddle.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

When I read it, the first thing I thought to myself was "why is he using full-auto mode on the track, especially if he's having issues". There wasn't anything there that suggests he was using manual mode IMO. Also "sport mode" sounds like an auto mode program, not manual mode.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Also "sport mode" sounds like an auto mode program, not manual mode.
    It is. It just holds gears longer and downshifts a little more aggressively. Good as a switch to flick for a couple corners on the street. Not so good for the track, IMO.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by killramos
    I did
    whoops

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Originally posted by Mibz
    It is. It just holds gears longer and downshifts a little more aggressively. Good as a switch to flick for a couple corners on the street. Not so good for the track, IMO.
    DSG tune can fix that

Originally posted by Mibz
    Yeah that makes more sense.

So, the question I guess is how much better would the Golf R lap time be if RP was using manual mode and not having shift timing issues?

Either way, the more I read about this thing, the more of a bargain it seems like at $40K.

Motor Trend also picked the STI over the CLA45 AMG and M235i...so if the Golf R beats the STI, does that mean it also beats the other two? Haha

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Yea i don't understand how people honestly think a 6 speed would be faster than dsg shifted manualy? Maybe you could launch the car better but for rolling, on power shifts the DSG will ALWAYS win. Its just faster.
    Yes, I concur.

A DSG car can be significantly down on power and still be faster, and on top of that, the STi is using a drivetrain that hasn't changed in a decade. Not exactly apples to apples.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Yea i found that comparo to be a bit odd. Esp in the video. Where they extensively track test the CLA and M235 and just come out and say the STI is better at the end without much of a review

IMO seems a bit odd to compare the M235i rwd to the STI and the CLA ( let alone golf R) since they really are so different.

The big sticking point pulling the bmw down was a lack of standard features from what i read of that review.

That being said Top Gear magazine picked the Golf R over the M235i to so maybe im just being sore

Anyways back to the Golf R. Fuck i want one, fiancee said no to another car i cant store ( sounds like I'm being played into buying a bigger house again ) so i need to wait

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    So, the question I guess is how much better would the Golf R lap time be if RP was using manual mode and not having shift timing issues?
    Probably not a whole lot TBH. The shifts are so fast that it's negligible, as the gearbox is already pre shifted into the next gear anyways. I ran this test at Race City with my datalogger in my GTI back in the day, and turn 3 exhibits this exact behavior, staying in 4th then dropping back down to 3rd on exit under power in auto mode. I ran a few laps by forcing it into 3rd under braking, and there was no difference in time in that sector (start of t3 to end of t3).

Where I found a difference was when I was manually shifting down the straight, the car would shift at redline perfectly single time, and I would be short shifting slightly where the difference at the end of the straight would be around a car length. The fastest way around the track was pretty much letting the car do it's own thing in auto mode. It was a pointless exercise anyways, because the GTI auto upshifts even in manual mode. Not sure if the R does the same thing.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Big thanks to Ryan, my parents just ordered an R from him. My mom is usually super picky especially when it comes to car buying and who she deals with and she was really really happy with how nice Ryan is and easy to deal with and quick.

^ Yea i found that comparo to be a bit odd. Esp in the video. Where they extensively track test the CLA and M235 and just come out and say the STI is better at the end without much of a review

IMO seems a bit odd to compare the M235i rwd to the STI and the CLA ( let alone golf R) since they really are so different.

The big sticking point pulling the bmw down was a lack of standard features from what i read of that review.

That being said Top Gear magazine picked the Golf R over the M235i to so maybe im just being sore

Anyways back to the Golf R. Fuck i want one, fiancee said no to another car i cant store ( sounds like I'm being played into buying a bigger house again ) so i need to wait
    To me the M235i is one of the last true BMW's. It cut down on crap in favour of driving feel. They in a way remind me of a modernized E30 325iS. I am ecstatic for when the M2 comes out (might even be buying one!).

Audi/VW DSG is wimpy. It shifts faster then everyone else right now, but it likes to duck out the redline. My 2014 S4 would force shift itself, even in manual mode, before redline. The 6 speeds will creep right to red and a bit above I believe. I also hated how the DSG felt too automatic. It creeped with the foot off the gas, and would creep back in reverse. But that's just me, I love BMW DCT (even after all the BS mine has given me) for the fact that it really does drive like an MT. I love how it will roll back on hills (after 3 second hill hold releases), and doesn't creep in reverse, you have to gently tap the throttle to get moving and engage the clutch.

The AMG MCT system is a love/hate for most people. When I got my AMG I looked at a facelift too, with the MCT, and I preffered the 7g tronic, as it was less jerky. The shift delays were a huge pain in the ass though, until you learned the catch point (hitting redline shifts in MT was hard for the first few weeks, I often bounced off the limiter).
    Last edited by ToXicXxX; 04-04-2015 at 05:46 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by ToXicXxX

To me the M235i is one of the last true BMW's. It cut down on crap in favour of driving feel. They in a way remind me of a modernized E30 325iS. I am ecstatic for when the M2 comes out (might even be buying one!).

Well I certianly like mine. I could see myself getting into an
    M2 if the specs are right and finally decide to allow individual (I have heard Leipzig is incapable of accepting individual orders).

I won't be early adopting. There are whispers of an M2 CSL which would greatly pique my interest but I doubt I could get an allocation if it ever comes here.

Anyhow don't mean to derail a golf R thread with bmw talk. I still want an R... Just not in the cards without selling my car which I'm not willing to do.

fact.

If the M2 is what I hope, then I will try to euro-deliver one. If not, hold onto the E92 a few more years until the M4 LCI happens and begrudgingly accept a turbo.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Are we talking about the same M235 here? The one with a video game like steering feel? Honestly the M235 could have been a great car if they slapped on a LSD and spent some R&D dollars on that steering. But then they wouldn't have a reason to make the M2.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rage2
    The one with a video game like steering feel?
    You and I both know you are being dramatic lol. Sure it isn't an AMG skunkworks derived hydraulic setup like your BS but its not that bad when set to sport. Not the best iteration of EPS sure but its not a video game.

Apparently the M4/3 is better. I don't know that from experience, I refuse to let myself take the dealers demo out until i am ready to buy one.

I will admit I knew you were going to pipe in the second I saw Toxic praise the driving feel

My disclosure is that both of the perf-ish cars I have ever owned has had EPS so i will admit i have no idea what i am talking about.

My mustang ( which isn't even close to perf-ish) has hydraulic steering and you can keep it.

I apologize for being responsible for the VW guys...

fact.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Somewhat related I drove a GTI for the first ever today and I thought the steering weight and feel is way better than my BRZ. I started to seriously reconsider my car choices for a few minutes lol.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm not even comparing to my car, nor anything with EPS. You can compare it to any last gen BMW and it's a night and day difference. All sport mode did for me was crank up the simulated road feel sensation. There is zero feedback which is what's fucked up, all you get is constant same simulated road feel, hence the video game reference.

To put things back on topic, drive a GTI and take a corner that has some bumps and "texture" to the road surface. Your mind will be blown at what steering feel is supposed to feel like. Ok that last sentence might be slightly dramatic haha.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I loved my 07 gti it was awsome semi performance car. When I switched to the rs4 it was insane how good the driving feels in the rs4. That's what a golf r should be. A big step up, but that will be the potential golf 400r.

Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast