Quantcast
Volkswagen Golf R/GTI Mega Thread - Page 43 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf R/GTI Mega Thread

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope. I feel you would have to be tracking that car to even notice and since mine is a daily driver it's kind of pointless.
    It’s definitely a noticeable difference on any kind of snow or ice. If I had known this was possible before I got my WRX it would have swayed me to the R.

My Ride
    NC1

Can't afford the R but the GTi at 1.99% is enticing

Get into a 5door base DSG for under $400 a month. No options needed I'll just pay attention when driving and save 1750 on the drivers aid stuff lol

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    It’s definitely a noticeable difference on any kind of snow or ice. If I had known this was possible before I got my WRX it would have swayed me to the R.
    How so? I never have any traction issues on snow or ice. This car is just as competent as my STI or EVO in slippery conditions.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    How so? I never have any traction issues on snow or ice. This car is just as competent as my STI or EVO in slippery conditions.
    Definitely tends to oversteer more on throttle than before, feels more rear bias for sure.

I will have a Haldex tune ready to go soon!

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post

Get into a 5door base DSG for under $400 a month. No options needed I'll just pay attention when driving and save 1750 on the drivers aid stuff lol
    That's tempting. I wonder if I can roll over my 2016 GTI lease and get on this deal. Might be worth it for me to reach out to Ryan.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post

What makes this deal even better is that apparently VW is installing the LSD in these cars, but VW Canada brochures are out of date and don't mention it. So essentially you have a base GTI with performance package in place.

Did the 2018/19 GTI's really get a lot slower? I just read Motor Trend's review on their app and the best they could do was 6.2sec 0-60 on their Manual tester vs 5.7sec for the same in 2015. If so they are drifting dangerously close to econo-box territory for performance, but maybe they had bad samples.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    What makes this deal even better is that apparently VW is installing the LSD in these cars, but VW Canada brochures are out of date and don't mention it. So essentially you have a base GTI with performance package in place.
    Seriously? That's my biggest gripe about my 2016, is the one-wheel spin I get in the winter, even with studded winters.

Edit: Holy shit, it's on the website too. The Autobahn isn't even that bad, and the DSG has auto start/stop. Might be time to upgrade, haha. Ryan make it happen for me!
    Last edited by LilDrunkenSmurf; 02-07-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Did the 2018/19 GTI's really get a lot slower? I just read Motor Trend's review on their app and the best they could do was 6.2sec 0-60 on their Manual tester vs 5.7sec for the same in 2015. If so they are drifting dangerously close to econo-box territory for performance, but maybe they had bad samples.
    Pretty sure that was due to tires.. The 18 that they tested came with A/S tires and the 2015 had summer tires.

0-60 is only one metric of performance.. If you compare other metrics, the GTI will perform way better than any of the other econo cars.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Pretty sure that was due to tires.. The 18 that they tested came with A/S tires and the 2015 had summer tires.

0-60 is only one metric of performance.. If you compare other metrics, the GTI will perform way better than any of the other econo cars.
    They did say the tires were bad and squealed a lot, though tests for other cars are done on crappy all-seasons too so it's still probably an even playing field. I agree the GTI would still be more pleasant to drive than most, particularly with all the mid-range torque.

My Ride
    NC1

Damn this is the perfect budget baller hipster cool car the GTi lol

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Has anyone purchased/ordered a 2018 Golf R yet? I am wondering if/how much the dealers are discounting. Or is it too new yet?

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    C&D has pretty much the same time for 2018 and 2017s. At $30,500 I do consider the GTI an econobox haha.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Did you get a chance to drive it back to back with 'Haldex All-Wheel Drive Traction Adjust' set to 'Standard' and 'Increased Traction' I've been tempted to try this on my car but info both online and on the AB MK7 Facebook group is all but non-existent, plus I'm worried about any potential warranty issues from doing this. Did you try it out on the lake or just driving around town? Did the car have an aftermarket rear sway bar, that mod alone I think is one of the best things you can do on these cars to make the back end more lively.

There is also the 'XDS Differential Lock Adjustment' that you can change from 'Normal' to 'Hard' I believe that setting varies the aggressiveness of the e-diff/xds and doesn't do much for you except wearing brake pads quicker lol but again haven't experimented.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    C&D has pretty much the same time for 2018 and 2017s. At $30,500 I do consider the GTI an econobox haha.

C&D did a little better, that's good. Still a fair bit slower than 2015 though. Their Civic Si time is weird, the Civic Touring CVT sedan which is the heaviest variant (IMO an econobox) has been tested at 6.7sec 0-60 haha, maybe something was wrong with their Si. So if the GTI was slipping into the 6.2 range, that's why I thought it was creeping a little to close to econobox territory.

2015 GTI – 14.4 @ 100mph
    2018 GTI – 14.5 @ 100mph
    margin of error

New 7speed dsg in the R is amazing. Makes an already great car even better.

My Ride
    ute

My 2010 GTI is sitll one of my all time favorite cars.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Did you get a chance to drive it back to back with 'Haldex All-Wheel Drive Traction Adjust' set to 'Standard' and 'Increased Traction' I've been tempted to try this on my car but info both online and on the AB MK7 Facebook group is all but non-existent, plus I'm worried about any potential warranty issues from doing this. Did you try it out on the lake or just driving around town? Did the car have an aftermarket rear sway bar, that mod alone I think is one of the best things you can do on these cars to make the back end more lively.

There is also the 'XDS Differential Lock Adjustment' that you can change from 'Normal' to 'Hard' I believe that setting varies the aggressiveness of the e-diff/xds and doesn't do much for you except wearing brake pads quicker lol but again haven't experimented.
    Haven’t tried it back to back I just got told to take my dad’s for a spin after he coded it. No other mods except for my least favourite winter tires. He left the diff lock adjustment alone.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Haven’t tried it back to back I just got told to take my dad’s for a spin after he coded it. No other mods except for my least favourite winter tires. He left the diff lock adjustment alone.
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm very tempted to play around with this now haha and tonight might be the perfect opportunity

Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast