Quantcast
Volkswagen Golf R/GTI Mega Thread - Page 46 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 46 of 63 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf R/GTI Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And DSG! That's about it haha

That's all I really need too lol I don't care about the drivers aid, sunroof, leather, bigger wheel, xenons, nav etc.

The GTI plaid is such a classic too. I'm just debating if I want another white one or go for black haha
    Black. Change things up.

...this coming from someone who has two white cars.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Never buy a black car.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

When GTI’s come in tornado red why get another colour?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    So correct me if I am wrong, but these days do GTI's really have any available options? I go on the website and paint and drivers assistance are all I see?

I would also buy another GTI in a heartbeat.
    Yes, several.

First you pick either the base GTI or the Autobahn version, the latter of which is like a package which adds options. Then you pick either MT or DSG. Then you can pick either a driver's assistance package and/or a cloth seating package. Same as most other cars in the range, really. A couple different trim levels and a few options, pretty standard. Price range is $30,595 - $39,045 before taxes, freight & fees. When they had the 3dr model still there were even more configurations.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-12-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

My Ride
    G37X

Those GTi's sure are pricey for a 6 second 0-60. Nice interiors, love the handling feel. Styling? A little bit too non offensive.
    Engine sound? Pretty cheesy stock.

I was shocked that my brothers 2015 GTi didn't come with an LSD. need the performance pack on an already expensive
    car.

Heck even the Golf R stock trap speed is kinda low. 103 mph is not that impressive in 2018. You'd have to go back to 98
    to find that impressive for a sporty car.

Wonder what a FBO R traps? Better be well over 110 lol
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 02-12-2018 at 11:16 AM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    Those GTi's sure are pricey for a 6 second 0-60. Nice interiors, love the handling feel. Styling? A little bit too non offensive.

I was shocked that my brothers 2015 GTi didn't come with an LSD. need the performance pack on an already expensive
    car.

Heck even the Golf R stock trap speed is kinda low. 103 mph is not that impressive in 2018. You'd have to go back to 98

I assume you are around 25 years old?

If anyone is looking for a good power increase without a flash tune have a look at the JB4!

https://store.gtrauto.ca/products/jb...-tuner-for-vws

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Is the Clark Cloth seat as hugging as the leather seat?

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post

car.

I think a 100 mph car with LSD, that can do 8L/100kms and has all the current safety features including driving assistance package for $32k is a steal in today's market.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    I assume you are around 25 years old?
    What would make you come to that conclusion? Is a 25 year old's comment less valid to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    I think a 100 mph car with LSD, that can do 8L/100kms and has all the current safety features including driving assistance package for $32k is a steal in today's market.
    It's not bad. Again, I do like my brother's MK7. It gets amazing mileage for sure. Very sound, solid feeling car. In my opinion it's way too slow for $32k and a guy shouldn't need
    to drop in a flash tune and DP and exhaust etc to make it more comparable to modern sub compact/entry level muscle car performance in 2018. Although I realize it is not necessarily
    aimed at that segment.

My Ride
    06 S2000

The biggest mod I've done to my GTI is some stickers and a license plate frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    Where do you see them for $32K? The cheapest I can possibly build one with a manual transmission and driver's assistance is $34,117 + GST which ends up being a hair under $36K all said and done.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Is the Clark Cloth seat as hugging as the leather seat?
    The clark cloth seats are pretty amazing. But are very snug. If you're much over 200 lbs
    you're not gonna enjoy them much unless your weight is over your belt.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Never buy a black car.
    This. Black paint is so high maintenance. YOU CAN SEE EVERY SPECK OF DUST AND MUD AND STUFF AND DANDELION SEEDS AND FINGERPRINTS.

Question is what else would you get if you're cross shopping a GTI?

The Civic Si ($28,590) is its closest competition and is $2,000 cheaper than a base manual Gti ($30,595). Add DSG ($1,400) and its a 5.7s vs 6.7 car, for $3,400 extra. Both cars have cloth seats, so its a very fair comparison. The Gti might have less options, but end of the day its much faster, much more upscale, much better daily (torque), and IMO looks better inside and out.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This. Black paint is so high maintenance. YOU CAN SEE EVERY SPECK OF DUST AND MUD AND STUFF AND DANDELION SEEDS AND FINGERPRINTS.
    True unless you have plans to put film on the entire car. Some cars look amazing in black, so I would just wrap the whole car in XPEL Ultimate or similar. Most people have had great success with keeping it looking good going this route.

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post

The Civic Si ($28,590) is its closest competition and is $2,000 cheaper than a base manual Gti ($30,595). Add DSG ($1,400) and its a 5.7s vs 6.7 car, for $3,400 extra. Both cars have cloth seats, so its a very fair comparison. The Gti might have less options, but end of the day its much faster, much more upscale, much better daily (torque), and IMO looks better inside and out.
    Motor trend got the regular Civic Touring (not Si) with a CVT to do 0-60 in 6.8 seconds, and Jalaponik claims to have got a base model Civic Hatchback Sport 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. They aren't as fast as a GTI, but the motors are underrated and the cars are light. Motor Trend's numbers on the 2018 GTI are 6.2 for the MT and 6.0 for the DSG. I don't think anyone has broken into the 5's with a 2018 GTI yet. Anyways the Civics aren't really great comparisons to the GTI, there is a massive price gap.

The GTI / Si comparisons is also not as easy because the Si comes fully loaded. To get a a 6MT GTI similarly equipped the price difference is over $9,000 including freight & pdi on both. I haven't been in a 2018 GTI yet but the 2017's interior did not stand out, and had a lot of hard plastic and minimal storage. Materials were on par with similarly priced vehicles. Maybe they stepped it up for 2018 though, I am not sure.

You can actually get an Infiniti Q50 2.0T for quite a bit less than a loaded GTI but I don't think that has driver's assistance. Most of the cars in the GTI's price range are family haulers.

The GTI has carved out a bit of a unique place in the market, it doesn't really have any direct competition so they can charge a hefty premium. You can't even get a WRX hatch anymore, and that would have probably been the closest thing. I just wish the GTIs had more granularity for option selection so you don't have to spend $40K for driver's assistance and a stereo that doesn't sound like a tin can. I'll be taking a close look at them again when my lease is up and maybe by then they will have an option combination that isn't so expensive.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-12-2018 at 02:55 PM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Where do you see them for $32K? The cheapest I can possibly build one with a manual transmission and driver's assistance is $34,117 + GST which ends up being a hair under $36K all said and done.
    As illustrated a few posts above, people go by MSRP before tax and fees as different manufacturers put the fees up front, some make you click on the little box, some hide it all together, so it's not always clear what is being compared to what. So I always go by msrp since freight/pdi is roughly similar across the board. So it would be $32,345 for one with DAP. To help the GTI case, there is a much larger markup on it than most cars in this range as well.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I honestly have no idea who cross shops civics with GTI’s.

The last few gens of civics are such trash, SI or not, as you said not even comparable to how nice even a base GTI is so I don’t know why you keep bringing it up.

Only thing civic really wins on is price, so if that’s all you care about then go civic?

“Fully loaded” is a red herring and the GTI comes pretty well equipped even as a stripper model.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post

I was very unimpressed with the new engine in the Si. That 1.5T with a manual is pathetic. It has so much turbo lag and the entire driving experience is lacking. GTI's engine is much better. What else to cross shop for a GTI? I would take a look at the WRX.

Page 46 of 63 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 56 ... LastLast