Quantcast
Nenshi doesn't want to suspend arts budget during downturn - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Nenshi doesn't want to suspend arts budget during downturn

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Nenshi doesn't want to suspend arts budget during downturn

To be fair, he was speaking at an arts luncheon.

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/129...d-nenshi-says/

Suspending Calgary’s Public Art Program, as one city councillor is proposing, would be a “terribly short-sighted move,” Mayor Naheed Nenshi told a gathering of artists Thursday.

“The declining price of oil had the square root of zero to do with our public arts budget,” Nenshi said at the Mayor’s Lunch for Arts Champions.

Citing Alberta’s sagging economy, Coun. Peter Demong plans to introduce a motion at Monday’s council meeting to suspend “all funding intended for public art” in 2015 and for the Public Art Board to be “temporarily suspended until further notice.”

Numerous members of council attended the Mayor’s Lunch for Arts Champions Thursday, including Couns. Gian-Carlo Carra, Shane Keating, Druh Farrell, Brian Pincott, Sean Chu, and Ward Sutherland.
    According to the Herald, he made some comments towards developer influence again, and one of the council members isn't pleased.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ash-public-art

Mayor Naheed Nenshi blasted a councillor’s proposal to slash the public art budget in response to the economic downturn, telling people at a luncheon for the arts Thursday to lobby his colleagues against the idea.

In a motion council will debate Monday, Coun. Peter Demong wants to freeze all public art spending until at least 2016, and reallocate all unused art funds from older projects.

At the annual mayor’s luncheon for the arts, Nenshi called that idea “terribly short-sighted” and unnecessary, since art budgets amount to only one per cent or less of infrastructure projects.

“If one is going to use what’s going on in the world and the very real pain that people are feeling in the community as an excuse to go after a program one never liked in the first place, there are words one can use to describe that, which I will not use,” Nenshi said to close out the afternoon awards celebration.

It was a friendly crowd for Nenshi’s message. Attendees, a mixture of artists and business executives, booed when Nenshi first brought up Demong’s proposal.

“You can imagine how I feel about this,” the mayor said over the boos.

Although critics complain that sculptures or murals alongside public buildings are nice-to-haves, Nenshi argued that nobody complains about a project’s paint or landscaping budget.

“We just assume that the building isn’t finished unless we paint or plant grass and trees. So why in the world would we believe that a piece of public infrastructure is finished if it does not involve public art?”

Over his two terms on council, Demong has repeatedly criticized the public art program and the large sums allocated to beautification projects. Last spring, he endorsed a measure that would limit the public art spending to only 0.5 per cent of a project’s budget for any portion above $50 million — a measure Nenshi also supported.

Demong is advocating a total freeze on the program because of low oil prices and economic downturn, although council won’t learn for a month how the provincial budget will alter the city’s infrastructure grants.

Nenshi urged his audience of artists and others Thursday to advocate against Demong’s cut.

“There are people in this room who are property developers. All of you have (the) phone numbers of council members on your speed dial,” he remarked, at an event sponsored by a major inner-city property manager.

“There are seven members of council here today. I’m sure they’d love to hear your opinion on this matter.”

Coun. Ward Sutherland said on Twitter the mayor’s remark about developer influence is “inappropriate, and can imply many things.”

Last December, Nenshi also irked colleagues when he said after a Chamber of Commerce that people should lobby particular councillors to ease zoning restrictions on secondary suites. The following week, council resisted any firm action on the policy reform Nenshi has long pushed for.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-12-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

it could be good, but it does need to be overhauled like crazy, it's garbage in it's current state, just throwing away money
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

They did put a cap on the budget last year, or maybe 2 years ago, so it's a start.

But yea, in times of tight budgets, I completely agree that it should be suspended. I'm curious how the provincial budget is going to affect us as a city when it's released in the next month or so. Curious how many projects are going to get shafted (ie Library) that's based on unguaranteed forward funding.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I'll defend the arts.

We place far too much value on oil here. We place far too much value on consumption. What value is there in driving or watching people drive around a racetrack all day? Personal enjoyment? What benifit to humanity is a 250 mile space shuttle pizza that costs 2 million pounds of rocket fuel to deliver?

Some people like to look at art at the end of the day for personal enjoyment. And at least you might have a sellable painting at the end of it that some billionaire decides to buy for $70 million.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-19-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

ZenOps, you make my brain hurt.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

It's just our cute little Nenshi sticking his foot in his mouth again, and showing that he isn't capable of thinking before he speaks.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by ZenOps
    I'll defend the arts.
    Since when was giant blue ring or fish on an overpass considered art?

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

Originally posted by 88CRX

Since when was giant blue ring or fish on an overpass considered art?
    That giant blue ring of failure is just pointless garbage. If it is budgeted properly and used in a way to support local artist with good talent, I'd be ok with it

My Ride
    Car

I like it in theory, but the blue ring just goes to show something needs to change

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by muse017

That giant blue ring of failure is just pointless garbage. If it is budgeted properly and used in a way to support local artist with good talent, I'd be ok with it
    Art should be a pursuit of passion. As long as the person isn't starving, they can do their art. Anything above and beyond that is too much IMO.

Oh Nenshi, catering to whatever audience he is speaking to. It's convenient he waited a full week before saying "Yeah I don't like the blue ring either guys!!!" after seeing the outcry if disapproval. Course he would say he's opposed to it at an arts luncheon.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

I like the art budget as I don't want a plain boring city of boxes.

I do think the money should be kept local. It would support local artists and keep the money in the local economy. Pissing it away on foreign artists does nothing for local economy.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I've got no problem with the art budget (or the previous art budget either), but it needs to be spent better, and in a more mass-appeal way. The art also shouldn't have to be placed on or near the project, it should be located in a high-pedestrian area. (down town, or in public parks)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Busa

The most egregious part to me is that the contracts are often awarded to companies outside the province and frequently outside the country. If you want to build/support the arts then you should probably start by employing local artists instead of outsourcing overseas. Just a thought.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Nobody is saying get rid of the art budget at this time. Demong just wants it suspended till our economic situation improves.

My Ride
    oooo

I am glad the city spends money on art, I think during the downturn it would be a good idea to cut it back, but the art is part of what helps keep this city from looking soviet like downtown Edmonton.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by sillysod
    I am glad the city spends money on art, I think during the downturn it would be a good idea to cut it back, but the art is part of what helps keep this city from looking soviet like downtown Edmonton.
    Edmonton had their 1% art budget before we did.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by sillysod
    Really? I grew up just outside of Edmonton, and I never thought it looked Soviet at all.

http://edmontonpublicart.ca/#!/grid/

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I think it should stay, but id like to see how it's spent tweaked to be Alberta based companies that do the design and install of the art pieces as way to reinvest in our own economy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast