Quantcast
Mayweather/Pacquiao - May 2nd - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayweather/Pacquiao - May 2nd

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Mayweather/Pacquiao - May 2nd

I think it's a few years too late for Manny, but that's probably why Mayweather agreed to it.

http://www.tsn.ca/mayweather-pacquia...may-2-1.212294

LAS VEGAS, Nev. - The Fight is finally on.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will meet Manny Pacquiao on May 2 in a welterweight showdown that will be boxing's richest fight ever. Mayweather himself announced the bout Friday after months of negotiations, posting a picture of the signed contract online.

"I promised the fans we would get this done and we did," Mayweather said.

The long anticipated bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas will almost surely break every financial record, and make both boxers richer than ever. Mayweather could earn $120 million or more, while Pacquiao's split of the purse will likely be around $80 million.

The fight, which matches boxing's two biggest attractions of recent years, has been in the making for five years. It finally came together in recent months with both fighters putting aside past differences over various issues — including drug testing and television rights — to reach agreement.

Pacquiao was sleeping in the Philippines when the fight was announced, but his camp issued a statement saying the fans deserve the long awaited fight.

"It is an honour to be part of this historic event," Pacquiao said. "I dedicate this fight to all the fans who willed this fight to happen and, as always, to bring glory to the Philippines and my fellow Filipinos around the world."

While the fight rivals the 2002 heavyweight title bout between Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson for interest, it comes more than five years after the first real effort to put the fighters together in their prime. Most boxing observers believe both have lost some of their skills, though Mayweather remains a master defensive fighter and Pacquiao showed in his last fight against Chris Algieri that he still has tremendous quickness in his hands.

Still, Pacquiao is 36 and has been through many wars in the ring. And while Mayweather has been largely untouched in his career, he turns 38 on Tuesday.

"I am the best ever, TBE, and this fight will be another opportunity to showcase my skills and do what I do best, which is win," Mayweather said in his announcement. "Manny is going to try to do what 47 before him failed to do, but he won't be successful. He will be No. 48."

Oddsmakers believe Mayweather will do just that, making him a 2 1/2-1 favourite in the scheduled 12-round bout. The fight is expected to do record business in Nevada's legal sports books, with tens of millions wagered on the outcome.

It will also do record business at the box office — with the MGM expected to be scaled far higher than the $20 million live gate for Mayweather's 2013 fight with Canelo Alvarez. The pay-per-view revenue also is expected to be a record, though television executives said Friday they had yet to actually fix a price for people to buy the fight at home.

The fight will be televised as a joint venture between competing networks Showtime and HBO, which will share announcers with Jim Lampley and Al Bernstein reportedly handling the task at ringside.

Pacquiao began pushing hard for the fight after beating Algieri in November in Macau, and negotiations picked up last month when the two fighters met by chance at a Miami Heat basketball game and later talked with each other in Pacquiao's hotel room about making it happen.

"It's one of those fortuitous circumstance we couldn't have planned," Showtime boxing chief Stephen Espinoza said. "But we were lucky that it happened."

As part of the agreement, Mayweather insisted on having the right to announce the bout. He also won concessions from the Pacquiao camp on who enters the ring first, what type of gloves are used, and a number of other issues, including a reported 60-40 split of the purse.

But it didn't take long for Pacquiao's camp to start talking, either. Promoter Bob Arum expressed his elation in making the fight, while trainer Freddie Roach predicted a big win for his fighter.

"Floyd should enjoy being the A-Side while he can because on May 2 Manny is going to put him on his backside," Roach said.

Arum, who has promoted some of the biggest fights in history, said this one would be bigger than them all.

"This boxing match will have the interest in the U.S. of a Super Bowl," Arum told The Associated Press. "I think it will set all kinds of pay-per-view records and gate records. It will be the biggest boxing event of all time."

Both fighters will bring 147-pound titles into the ring, but the fight is about far more than belts. Mayweather, who is unbeaten in 47 fights, wants to stake his claim as one of the greatest fighters ever, and remove any doubts about his legacy by fighting the boxer who is thought to be the greatest challenge of his career.

Pacquiao, meanwhile, will try to show that a knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012 and a disputed decision loss to Timothy Bradley should not define a remarkable career that began 20 years ago in the Philippines

Don't tune in looking for a big knockout, either. The last time Pacquiao stopped anyone was in 2009 when he finished off Miguel Cotto in the 12th round, while Mayweather has only stopped one fighter (Victor Ortiz) in the last eight years.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Finally.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

lol about damn time, is this mayweather's last fight on his current contract?

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

i dont think this fight will live up to the hype. Manny is too old and was tuned by Marquez in the last few fights. But he will give it is all and i imagine the trash talk will be epic from Mayweather.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by civic_stylez
    i dont think this fight will live up to the hype. Manny is too old and was tuned by Marquez in the last few fights. But he will give it is all and i imagine the trash talk will be epic from Mayweather.
    The $$$$$ is gonna be cray
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I'd be willing to bet that for some stupid reason it doesn't go down.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

^^ Sure, how much?

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Even before the fight is signed the prices for Vegas for the May 2 weekend has been crazy! Now that it's happening the prices will shoot through the ceiling specially in hotels. Time to book a flight. Thank god I have friends and relatives in Vegas I can bunk for a few days. I normally stay in the hotel but this might be an exception. The per night stay right now is stupid if you check right now.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by Disoblige
    ^^ Sure, how much?
    I dunno, $200? Mayweather will find a way to get out of it. Not even going to bother getting excited for it.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by ddduke
    I'd be willing to bet that for some stupid reason it doesn't go down.
    I actually share your cynicism. Until these guys step into the ring, part of me thinks anything can happen and the fight will get cancelled.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by ddduke

I dunno, $200? Mayweather will find a way to get out of it. Not even going to bother getting excited for it.
    Sure, you're on. I'll post in betting thread. Just confirm and it's on.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Pacquiao has nothing to prove anymore and I feel that this will be his downfall.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Originally posted by civic_stylez
    I disagree. Manny was winning that last fight against Marquez until he got caught, and has looked great since then. He's still clearly the #2 P4P in boxing.

Plus, Mayweather is older than Manny and still looks unbeatable.

Should be a great fight.

Originally posted by flipstah
    Pacquiao has nothing to prove anymore and I feel that this will be his downfall.
    Both fighters have something to prove but more pressure is on Floyd as people have always thought he has been ducking Manny. Losing to Floyd won't be his downfall if he losing to the #1 pfp fighter.

I don't think Floyd will walk away from the money that he would make for this fight. I believe its going down unless something out of their control happens.

My Ride
    NC1

Oh this is definitely on. Perhaps this was Mayweather's plan all along anyway? Drag it out, get a shit load of money, everything on his terms etc.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by max_boost
    Oh this is definitely on. Perhaps this was Mayweather's plan all along anyway? Drag it out, get a shit load of money, everything on his terms etc.
    That seems to be how all his negotiations go down, he is undefeated though so I guess he has leverage there.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by DENZILDON
    Even before the fight is signed the prices for Vegas for the May 2 weekend has been crazy! Now that it's happening the prices will shoot through the ceiling specially in hotels. Time to book a flight. Thank god I have friends and relatives in Vegas I can bunk for a few days. I normally stay in the hotel but this might be an exception. The per night stay right now is stupid if you check right now.

I checked right after they announced the fight and it was already $900 for flights plus three nights at the Luxor *blahhhh*. I could have booked my self when it was just rumors but so be it. I'll probably just buy the ppv and watch it.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Yeah bro, I've heard mgm sold out in 15 mins after the fight was announced!

My Ride
    rally pig

apparently it was a glitch but atleast $4k a ticket now

http://www.tiqiq.com/tickets/floyd-m.../2001442395452

My Ride
    04 EP3'

anyone know when or how to purchase tix at face value if possible? i've searched but wasn't able to find any release on when tickets will go on sale.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast