Quantcast
Mayweather/Pacquiao - May 2nd - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8

Thread: Mayweather/Pacquiao - May 2nd

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by [GaGe]

I disagree. The judges score based on a 10-point round by round system in both Boxing and MMA. Unless there's a knockout, the winner is whoever scores the most points for the most rounds, not who does the most damage or is the most active throughout the fight.

Mayweather was the clear winner here under the 10-point scoring system. There's no way Pacquiao won 6 rounds of that fight. Mayweather controlled the pace for most of the fight (hence why the fight was boring to most people), and he easily landed his straight right and check left hooks throughout. Pacquiao didn't land anything for most of the rounds.

As for GSP vs. Hendricks, I scored the fight 3 rounds to 2 for GSP, but you could've argued 3 rounds to 2 for Hendricks. It was a split decision with exactly those scores in GSP's favour.

The problem is that the 10-point scoring system makes zero sense for MMA, and the scoring system is set by the athletic commissions and not the UFC.
    There are two factors at play here:

1) The 10-point system sucks when you have two styles that don't mesh well against each other. A 10-9 round for Mayweather looks very different than a 10-9 round for Pacquiao, but both are scored the same way. The rounds Pac won looked more impressive (like the couple times Pac caught him with the left in the earlier rounds), but when Mayweather took that away in the later rounds all you saw was Mayweather controlling the distance with his jab.

2) The crowd was very skewed towards the Pacquiao camp, so it also sounded like Pacquiao was winning more often than he actually was. Basically every analysis I've read or listened to in the past couple days said the same thing. On TV, you could see Mayweather was winning the match. But in the crowd, it sounded like Pacquiao was winning at times.

Also, Pacquiao is now claiming he hurt his shoulder in training.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Boxing is officially done, it might as well be WWF 1994. Justin Beiber, burger king, Mark Walberg promoting some stupid aqua company, both competitors getting huge amounts of money with nothing but dancing through the entire fight. Manny at least tried to dig down and hurt Mayweather but MW is really good at defending himself. I wasted a Saturday night watching that garbage.

Here is what boxing should be.
    Boxing is dead to the casual fan and always has been, they just get hyped into watching 'the fight of the century'. As a fan I was bitterly disappointed with the outcome to this fight, but it is generally in line with what has happened with most of Floyds previous fights.
    There are many exciting fighters [imo] that many of you guys probably have never heard of: Matthysse, Golovkin, Kovalev, Maidana, Garcia and Ward just to name a few.

The problem we have here is when casual boxing fans only watch the Mayweather fights [thanks to a ton of $ spent promoting the fight] and get this kind of performance, they seem to assume this happens in every other fight. Not many boxers have the shoulder roll technique/defense that Floyd has been doing all his life.
    It makes for a boring fight but Floyd is clearly blocking and missing punches while countering with precise jabs/crosses that are fast and hard. Several times Manny would step backwards from the power of these punches. He landed almost twice as many punches as Manny. All 3 judges saw this and Floyd easily walked away with the unanimous decision. It sucks but is within the rules of boxing. I know the hugging and head locking is annoying but it happens in the sport quite a bit.

Except for Adrian Broner [About Billions - brush my hair pops lol] there are no current big ticket boxers that have extravagant intros.
    Mayweather is trying to expand his brand by having people like Beiber tagging along with him. Im not saying I agree that Beiber will actually help it but thats my take on it. To compare his intros to the whole of boxing: ie. saying its WWE in general is unfair. A huge event like this will get companies flocking to advertise their brand/products, its common sense and will most likely get the company name out there.

As for that video, if all boxing matches were like that then none would get past the 3rd round. This is one of the craziest rounds I have seen in a long time. Like many other sports, they have the amazing/insane moments that are not happening at all times in the sport.
    If you are a boxer, you obviously want to take the least amounts of hits to the head. Thats not fun for the viewers... Quite a few of these exciting sluggers who had strong chins have either died or are showing signs of CTE or parkinsons [Gatti would be a controversial one] but they still have another 40 yrs to live out after retirement. Case in point Floyd.

All of this is strictly opinion from a boxing fan. Someone has to try defend boxing here

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Also, Pacquiao is now claiming he hurt his shoulder in training.
    Yep, he needs surgery for a torn rotator cuff. Out for 9-12 months, so doubt we'll ever see them fight again. I think a healthy Pac would've still lost to Mayweather though. He lost because he was chasing Mayweather in a straight line, not because he couldn't throw his right jabs.

Pretty good read here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/pacqu...-injury-2015-5

It sounds like the Mayweather camp knew exactly what was going on in the Pacquiao camp, and they even acknowledged it. I bet this has to do with them bringing over Alex Ariza, Pacquiao's old conditioning coach.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Originally posted by tomt64

Boxing is dead to the casual fan and always has been, they just get hyped into watching 'the fight of the century'. As a fan I was bitterly disappointed with the outcome to this fight, but it is generally in line with what has happened with most of Floyds previous fights.
    There are many exciting fighters [imo] that many of you guys probably have never heard of: Matthysse, Golovkin, Kovalev, Maidana, Garcia and Ward just to name a few.
    I hope Mayweather steps up in weight and fights Triple G next. I don't want to see Mayweather vs. Khan at all.

Pacquiao vs. Garcia would be good too once he recovers from surgery.

Originally posted by [GaGe]

I hope Mayweather steps up in weight and fights Triple G next. I don't want to see Mayweather vs. Khan at all.

Pacquiao vs. Garcia would be good too once he recovers from surgery.
    I would love to see Floyd vs GGG but from what he has been saying; he wants to play it safe and ride off into the sunset.

Khan has no chin, Floyd would make quick work of him. I hate how he runs his mouth about other boxers while preparing for another opponent, indicating he has him beaten [Algeri May 29th] IIRC that came back to bite him when he fought Garcia and got ktfo.

My Ride

Oh wow what a big surprise!

Floyd Mayweather willing to fight Manny Pacquiao again
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...pacquiao-again

My Ride
    NC1

As long as everything is on May's terms of course he will fight. He probably wants 70/30 this time around.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

yeah, let me make room for more cash. I think I ran out.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by euro_racer

Shocking...

Next fight, Manny wins, and then they have the third fight and each make 200mm.

Their trilogy will end up making both fighters half a billion.

My Ride
    NC1

Floyd wins his next match and goes 49-0. Retirement fight vs Manny 50-0. Greatest ever!

Ali is the greatest though....
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I heard the fight was boring as hell haha. What other physical sport is dominated by a couple of 40 year olds?

I wouldn't even be surprised if they fix the fights so that the rematches happen - everyone will make so much money. They can both take a few hundred million into retirement. What a joke. Maybe I'm just jealous

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by euro_racer

Mayweather stipulated that if he wins, there's no rematch.

But then again, money talks.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by adamc

^ has this bet been settled?

(that was RE: the fight not going down, beyond's quote system sucks)
    As of today, not yet. Sent him a PM 3 days ago with my e-mail info.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Just arrive 2am this morning. Tomt64 is correct and as much as I hate it mayweather won that fight.

But man it was crazy in Vegas, never seen Vegas full of blacks and flips. It was insane! We watched cc at the Manadalay Bay beach. They set up 4 huge screens for viewing and the crowd was fun!

The best part of the trip....sapphire and rhino! Lol! But Rhino still has the best looking women. There was a scarjo, Rihanna, Mariah and Cindy Crawford look a likes. Lots of girls came in for the fight so Long story short the gambling money went to them. Hahaha!

Was only sleeping 2 to 3 hours day, finally settled early Monday night and had a good long sleep.

Default Re: Mayweather/Pacquiao - May 2nd

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 03:04 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Haha Mayweather could care less, he was planning on vacating his belts before his last fight anyways.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8