Quantcast
Jaime Orellana killed in Winston Heights - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jaime Orellana killed in Winston Heights

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Jaime Orellana killed in Winston Heights

Musician, carpenter and loyal friend killed following confrontation with acquaintance
    Annalise Klingbeil, Calgary Herald

Last April, Jaime Orellana said goodbye to his friends, four younger siblings and mom. He left his home in St. Catharines, Ontario, and moved west to Calgary in search of a better life.

In Alberta, the hard-working 30-year-old settled into a house in Winston Heights with a close friend, got a job as a carpenter and pursued his passion of making music under the stage name Acres.

“He moved out to Calgary to get away from violence and street stuff that was going on in this city (St. Catharines),” said close friend Mattia Di Simone, who met Orellana more than two decades ago.

“He moved out to work and better himself and then he ends up getting in an argument with a neighbour and (killed).”

Orellana was fatally shot on Sunday afternoon, in the first of three shootings in less than 12 hours on city streets.

The three violent incidents, which police do not believe are related, have left two men dead, one man critically injured, and prompted police to say they’re deeply concerned about gun violence in the city.

Orellana, who’s full name was Jaimend Roberto Orellana-Sincuir, was wounded outside of the duplex home he shared with a friend in the 400 block of 26th Avenue N.E. following a confrontation with a man who frequented Orellana’s neighbour’s home around 2 p.m. Sunday.

“We’re not sure what the motive is on this one. All we know is it was as the result of a verbal argument that escalated,” said police spokesman Kevin Brookwell.

Orellana’s younger sister said her brother was shot after he asked a man, who didn’t live next door but often visited Orellana’s neighbour’s home and was known to Orellana, to keep it down.

Police officers and emergency crews were called to the scene after neighbours reported hearing gun shots and seeing a suspect run by.

A man was arrested in a nearby field following the shooting and he has been charged with first-degree murder and identified by police as Alan Devon Bird, 20, of Calgary.

Born in Guatemala, Orellana moved to St. Catharines with his teenage mom when he was a baby.

He was the oldest of five children and friends said the creative, gentle man served as the “glue that held his family together.”

“He helped raise all of his brothers and sisters,” said Di Simone.

“We all grew up in low income housing together. We were shown a lot of things early in life and there was a lot of bad decisions that could have been made. (Orellana) was always the guy who had his head on straight … making sure no one is making bad decisions.”

Orellana’s 26-year-old sister Mayra Orellana said after her father died in 1997, her older brother served as a father figure for her and her siblings.

“He let us know he was going (to Calgary) to be able to give us a better life, especially my mom and maybe in the future be able to help her out financially,” she said.

“Everything he did was always with the best intentions for (his family) … It seems like the life he was fleeing here followed him over there.”

Orellana said her family is devastated by her brother’s sudden death and they’re working to raise funds to bring his body home to Ontario for a funeral.

“He was just so well-respected. He was the person you would go to for the wise words, for the encouragement. When you were down, he could pick you right back up,” she said.

Carson Johnson met Orellana a few years ago after moving to St. Catharines and he marvelled at how quickly Orellana was to include him in anything he was doing.

“He was a genuinely amazing person,” Johnson said.

“You’re lucky to find a friend like that once in your life.”

The pair bonded over a passion for music and spent hours at each others homes, mixing beats together.

Orellana was a creative soul, who excelled at drawing and produced countless tunes under the name Acres, a moniker he’d chosen because he liked how the combination of letters looked when drawn in a graffiti style, and because he felt the word was key to his life.

“He referred to himself as a warrior,” Johnson said.

“He said in his life he felt like he was moving acres at a time.”

Both Di Simone and Johnson are reeling from the loss of their friend, who they described as loyal, loving and not violent.

“It would take people two lifetimes to fulfil the impact he had on people. He just touched them,” Johnson said.

Di Simone said Orellana cared deeply about his family and friends back home, even after he moved west in search of a better life.

“He was the kind of guy you could go to with your problems and he would always have something that could uplift you, or motivate you to do better, or try to make a change. He would let you know that anything is possible,” Di Simone said.

The accused is scheduled to next appear in court on March 6.
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...h-acquaintance

Apparent motive:
    "Orellana’s younger sister said her brother was shot after he asked a man, who didn’t live next door but often visited Orellana’s neighbour’s home and was known to Orellana, to keep it down."

What's really crazy:
    "Orellana was fatally shot on Sunday afternoon, in the first of three shootings in less than 12 hours on city streets."
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Damn. 20-years old. Good start to life:

Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by zipdoa
    Damn. 20-years old. Good start to life:

Shooting someone over a noise complaint? Lets hope he gets the maximum. Aka out in 3 years good behavior in Canada...

What a degenerate.

He's got the money for a lawyer. LV belt
    RIP to the victim

My Ride
    V8s

I highly doubt this was simply over a noise complaint.

Guy had to move to Calgary for a "better life", and to get away from "violence and street stuff". If you live in Canada, and are involved with that shit, moving to another city isn't going to change anything. Chances are he surrounded himself with the same type of people in Calgary, and got in an argument with one of them, which obviously ended badly.

Or maybe I'm just a cynical dickhead.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by cjblair

Yes.

According to all the news reports, the accused was a frequent visitor of the victims neighbor. The victim asked him to keep the noise down, which escalated into an fight/shooting.

My Ride
    fairlady tt

A man was arrested in a nearby field following the shooting and he has been charged with first-degree murder and identified by police as Alan Devon Bird , 20, of Calgary.

Anyone surprised by his last name?

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

For future reference... shooting someone who asks you to keep it down is not the proper social response.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride

Gofund me page for the victim:

http://www.gofundme.com/BringJaimeHome
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Originally posted by zipdoa
    Gofund me page for the victim:

http://www.gofundme.com/BringJaimeHome
    Does a funeral cost $25k these days or is family now benefiting from deaths? Last week over 150k was raised for the family of the boy who froze to death in Toronto.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by roopi

Does a funeral cost $25k these days or is family now benefiting from deaths?
    Depends on how big of a funeral, but yes, it can easily cost $25k.

My Ride

Originally posted by roopi

Does a funeral cost $25k these days or is family now benefiting from deaths? Last week over 150k was raised for the family of the boy who froze to death in Toronto.
    Depends if there's any seat sales YYC to YYZ. They gotta ship the body back home somehow.

Lol that piece of shit looks just like the Taliban kid walking his goats in Lone Survivor, the one who runs down the mountain and causes the ambush

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by cjblair
    I highly doubt this was simply over a noise complaint.

Guy had to move to Calgary for a "better life", and to get away from "violence and street stuff". If you live in Canada, and are involved with that shit, moving to another city isn't going to change anything. Chances are he surrounded himself with the same type of people in Calgary, and got in an argument with one of them, which obviously ended badly.

I completely agree with you, considering the only people who know what happened are the accused, and the dead person in the ground

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    Lol that piece of shit looks just like the Taliban kid walking his goats in Lone Survivor, the one who runs down the mountain and causes the ambush
    Yep, pure anger in that kids eyes.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Cos
    Pull your pants up.
    They just don't make belts like they used to.... even they are all fancy checker-like.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by P_D
    A man was arrested in a nearby field following the shooting and he has been charged with first-degree murder and identified by police as Alan Devon Bird , 20, of Calgary.

Anyone surprised by his last name?
    What were you expecting?
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Cos
    Pull your pants up.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

And we have another one. Same place...

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-of-a-shooting

Thank goodness i live across Edmonton trail from this place, keeps all those gang bangers at bay. To lazy to cross a main road obviously.

And ExtraSlow do you see why i made comments about the state of the neighborhood now? Hate walking around there...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast