Quantcast
is it Gout disease, or Gull disease or Gulls disease, which is it? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is it Gout disease, or Gull disease or Gulls disease, which is it?

Default is it Gout disease, or Gull disease or Gulls disease, which is it?

someone told me if you eat food high in purine, such as mussels, scallops, etc., you'll get high purine in your body. These purine somehow forms crystal structure in your body, and thus, causes pain in your foot for e.g., and this disease is called either Gout disease or Gull Disease or Gulls disease,

but all the spelling on those 3 variation yields different results. What is the actual spelling name of the above symptoms

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Gout, not a good time lol

My Ride
    *The First*

I can't believe you have the gall to ask.

Name:  gym-life-seagull.gif
Views: 360
Size:  240.0 KB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I take a pill everyday for it so I can live a normal life. Good times.

It’s a terribly mistreated condition. I had to research half the shit myself to get the prescription to fix the underlying problem. Doctors just recommend changing diet, that hardly reduces uric acid enough to eliminate attacks. It’s hereditary. If you have too much uric acid, no diet will fix it. Every attack wears those joints down more, resulting in arthritis at a young age. No fixing your joints by then, gangsta limp till you die.

Get blood tests. Measure your uric acid. Get allupurinol. Repeat. Up dosage as necessary. Don’t lose weight rapidly for 2 years till the uric acid is completely flushed out of your body.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

see that's what I want to understand, over here, it says:

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wel...-safe-for-gout

so for e.g., I should avoid fish, but I don't have enough fish, I can't even find 1 fish every 2 weeks. At superstore, they used to have good fish, now, the selection sucks.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_1

so does that mean I don't need to worry about high purine food as I don't have remotely enough fish? I do eat scallop once every 2 weeks.

Sounds like you need to see a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s a terribly mistreated condition. I had to research half the shit myself to get the prescription to fix the underlying problem.
    I can't believe you had the gall to question the science.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post
    see that's what I want to understand, over here, it says:

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wel...-safe-for-gout

so for e.g., I should avoid fish, but I don't have enough fish, I can't even find 1 fish every 2 weeks. At superstore, they used to have good fish, now, the selection sucks.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_1

so does that mean I don't need to worry about high purine food as I don't have remotely enough fish? I do eat scallop once every 2 weeks.
    So did you have an attack or are you trying to be preventative? High purine foods is really just a tipping point. The core of the problem is that some people produce too much uric acid, mostly genetically inherited trait. Most people don't have this problem, and can eat an insanely high purine diet and never ever have enough uric acid in their system to cause an attack. For those that have this problem, it gets worse and worse as you age, and diet becomes that tipping point that initially can reduce the onset of an attack. But that's just bandaiding the problem. Same with using colchicine to alleviate an attack. Fix the core problem, reduce your body's uric acid production, or in less common cases, increase the body's excretion of uric acid through your piss.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I can't believe you have the gall to ask.
    Nice.

Yeah, it's gout. And it fucking sucks. My very first attack, my foot became purple and my entire foot swelled up at least 25-30%, and although I can resist pain better than most (or so I think), I literally couldn't walk. Subsequent attacks haven't been as intense, but when it does happen, I still get some discolouration and swelling.

Rage2 is right in the fact that it's primarily an issue with the individual and not really the foods itself. That just exasperates the issue. As he says, it also does damage, so if you get any more than 2-3 attacks, I would recommend going on a daily maintenance drug regimen.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

So did you have an attack or are you trying to be preventative? High purine foods is really just a tipping point. The core of the problem is that some people produce too much uric acid, mostly genetically inherited trait. Most people don't have this problem, and can eat an insanely high purine diet and never ever have enough uric acid in their system to cause an attack. For those that have this problem, it gets worse and worse as you age, and diet becomes that tipping point that initially can reduce the onset of an attack. But that's just bandaiding the problem. Same with using colchicine to alleviate an attack. Fix the core problem, reduce your body's uric acid production, or in less common cases, increase the body's excretion of uric acid through your piss.

That sucks dude. The pills work then?
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    That sucks dude. The pills work then?
    Yup. This is my life now.

Name:  B7B2D532-5B34-4ED1-8365-BE92ECA99D89.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  48.5 KB

I’m at normal uric acid levels now. Eat normally. Exercise normally. No attacks. Life is good other than taking a pill like a senior daily. Only check my levels yearly now. Took about a year and a half for everything to stabilize once I started the meds. Started with 150mg, had to up it to 300mg for it to be effective enough.

I have some old posts that talked about my problems. When it first hit, I was working on losing weight, and IIRC lost 20lbs in a month, which spiked uric acid levels to trigger an attack. Totally counter intuitive, but ya, if you're high levels, your body fat is basically a uric acid collection sink. Losing weight releases that into the bloodstream. So ya it took a year and a half of medication, and really low intensity workouts (walking 10km a day thru +15s haha) to just get my body and uric acid levels in equilibrium before life was fully normal.

At my worst point, I went on 2 vacations while an attack hit. Walked around Mexico and Paris in a fucking aircast so I could even move lol.

Name:  5BC5B821-2294-4592-AF96-C63F01D7806A.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  278.2 KB

Allopurinol is a godsend. Allows for a normal life without the worry of random attacks. Before it the doctor I was seeing prescribed anti-inflammatories which did nothing. Went back my old doctor and got the new prescription and haven't had another major attack in years.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I’m at normal uric acid levels now. Eat normally. Exercise normally. No attacks. Life is good other than taking a pill like a senior daily. Only check my levels yearly now. Took about a year and a half for everything to stabilize once I started the meds. Started with 150mg, had to up it to 300mg for it to be effective enough.

I have some old posts that talked about my problems. When it first hit, I was working on losing weight, and IIRC lost 20lbs in a month, which spiked uric acid levels to trigger an attack. Totally counter intuitive, but ya, if you're high levels, your body fat is basically a uric acid collection sink. Losing weight releases that into the bloodstream. So ya it took a year and a half of medication, and really low intensity workouts (walking 10km a day thru +15s haha) to just get my body and uric acid levels in equilibrium before life was fully normal.

At my worst point, I went on 2 vacations while an attack hit. Walked around Mexico and Paris in a fucking aircast so I could even move lol.

So stay fat then? Got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Worth considering a ketogenic diet, however long term adherence can be a PITA. I do prefer the mental clarity and consistent energy when burning ketones .

Very few people who are not prone to gout (it's partially genetic) have an attack due to starting a ketogenic diet. The overall prevalence in the general population is about 1-2%—this includes those who are prone and those who are not.

A well-formulated ketogenic diet has potent anti-inflammatory properties that we are just now coming to understand. The primary ketone in our blood, beta-hydroxybutyrate (BOHB), is a regulatory signal that works inside white blood cells to reduce inflammation. Most recently, a well-known research group at Yale have studied the ketogenic diet in rats and in humans, and demonstrated that it actually has a protective effect against joint damage caused by gout (Goldberg, 2017). They've worked out the mechanism, and in the process demonstrated that BOHB can reduce damaging inflammation without reducing the benefits of inflammation such as healing and our defenses against infection. What this indicates that a well-formulated ketogenic diet may actually be beneficial in the management of gout.

Bottom line: A well-formulated ketogenic diet is not a contraindication in people with a history of gout. But once through the keto-adaptation phase, consistency with the diet is advised in order to avoid repeated swings in blood uric acid level caused by going in and out of nutritional ketosis.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by zipdoa View Post
    Worth considering a ketogenic diet, however long term adherence can be a PITA. I do prefer the mental clarity and consistent energy when burning ketones .
    Anti inflammatory, from drugs or diet, is a bandaid for gout. You’re managing the symptoms, not the cause. Remove the cause and be normal. That’s the only real fix.

Rage2 has said everything I can contribute to this.
    Great info and diet can only go so far and has never prevented an attack for me.
    One thing is high sugar snacks ramp up my UA #s quick. So there's that component too.

Allopurinol gave me easy bruising everytime I worked out and began having bad arm pain and then leg pain.
    On Febuxostat now. Seems good. Still in the dialing the dosage phase.
    High links between gout and strokes. Keep your UA in check.

UA Below 5 mg/dL is Peter Attia's target.

A good read on new info.
    https://www.hvfm.org/2022/03/28/uric...g-toe-problem/

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Your wife is black? This makes so much more sense.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

They're Muslim, you dick!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    They're Muslim, you dick!
    That’s not mutually exclusive you bigot
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

rage2 supports two things: burkas and the RAtM band.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast