Quantcast
2012 Merc S550, reliability, etc. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Merc S550, reliability, etc.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Default 2012 Merc S550, reliability, etc.

Wife is in the market for a new car right now. We're pretty much decided on a 2012 S550 4matic. They've already depreciated like crazy so IMO are an absolute steal, it's low mileage, still under warranty and I'm able to purchase an extended warranty through MB.

I've done a fair bit of searching into reliability and can't find much besides reviews that are within the first year of ownership (which are almost always good). It seems like most of the people that own these things trade them in every 2 years so I can't find a while lot on long term reliability.

I know there's a ton of MB fanboys on this site and many of you own similar vehicles (there's some cls550s, cl550s on this site) so just curious what you guys think of these things, I spend a lot of time out of town so I don't want my wife to be stranded while I'm away.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

When I see a woman driving a car this big I automatically go into defensive driving mode not that ai don't normally drive defensively but I pay extra attention. Sorry I grew up in Richmond, BC.

My Ride
    This and that.

Do some research on mbworld.org. They have a S class specific forum where I am certain tons of members will be able to pitch in. I don't have much experience with them. Have contemplated one a few times but just get turned away the massive size and boat like feeling they have. As far as luxury is concerned, they have tons of that. Since you're looking at a relatively newer model, I don't think you should worry too much about the reliability aspect either.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I only worked on a handful but I must say the S550 is one of my all time favorite cars. That said I would carry a form of warranty one way or the other for sure to cover any large expenses such as the air ride, which I believe is one common fault on pretty much any MB with age.

I love how smooth they ride, it ruined my perspective of how a luxury car should feel.

My Ride
    VAG products

Just buy a civic

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Maintain the warranty. I don't know if my in laws have the worst luck in the world but the CLS is always in the shop for one kind of electronic fault or another theirs is '12 or '13 as well. Most recently it was throwing a CEL due to a bad sensor.

The S just has more electronics in it to go wrong...

I was in for a major disappointment yesterday when my MiL picked me up in her wrangler...

Aside from that you cant really get a nicer car , just depends on your wifes tolerance to frequent and expensive service imo

Last edited by killramos; 02-25-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My CLS550 has been near flawless through my 2 1/2 years of ownership. The only issue I had was a blown speaker which was replaced under warranty.

Airmatic suspension, those typically need replacing at 100,000km on average. Electronics are much better than the last generation of MB's during the Daimler Chrysler era, but if something does go wrong, be prepared to shell out $$$. Other than that, the S550 is an awesome car.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    W204

I love the look of the S550 and it's one of the few boats that really turn my head LOL. Also consider the same year 750LI XDrive. Totally a toss up for me. One thing about the Bimmer is that the 7 series do 'feel' a lot smaller than they actually are.

What is the year they go with turbo in the S550? Is it 2012?
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

2012. 2011's had the old AMG 5.4L NA V8.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I owned a 2012 750Li, it was meh. It was comfortable but extremely boring to drive. I finally got so bored I traded in for an m5. However, if I'm not mistaken, 2012 750's can be had for very cheap, so it may still be worth consideration.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 09:41 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

New brakes at 17k? WTF was he tracking it or something?

I drive the crap out of my CLS550, and at 48k still have tons of brakes left.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 09:41 PM.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Thanks guys, with this car I'm letting her choose exactly what she wants so that almost immediately eliminated the 7 series. She also doesn't care about performance, the sales guy and I were trying to get her to look at the E63/ML63 and she didn't like those either.

In the end it came down to being between the SQ5 and S550 (yes, I know they're completely different vehicles but women are weird) and I just couldn't get on board with having that particular Audi.

This isn't going to be a super long term vehicle either, I can't see it being around much more then 2 years.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by ddduke
    Thanks guys, with this car I'm letting her choose exactly what she wants so that almost immediately eliminated the 7 series. She also doesn't care about performance, the sales guy and I were trying to get her to look at the E63/ML63 and she didn't like those either.

In the end it came down to being between the SQ5 and S550 (yes, I know they're completely different vehicles but women are weird) and I just couldn't get on board with having that particular Audi.

This isn't going to be a super long term vehicle either, I can't see it being around much more then 2 years.
    Just make sure its in warranty the whole time then.

Rage does lonestar still give out loaners fairly leniently?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I heard you have to pay for loaners now. Availability has gone up because of that policy.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So the same as BMW then. I cant even get a loaner from them through normal channels because I am to young. Their insurance wont cover me.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by killramos
    So the same as BMW then. I cant even get a loaner from them through normal channels because I am to young. Their insurance wont cover me.

wtf? How old are you? I thought over 25 and you'd be golden.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by ddduke

wtf? How old are you? I thought over 25 and you'd be golden.
    Exactly

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

LS460... will hold value better than the benz and will be more reliable

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast