Quantcast
Building a track car - keep STi, or new platform? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a track car - keep STi, or new platform?

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Default Building a track car - keep STi, or new platform?

Looking for some opinions from track folks on building a track car with current STi or getting something else. Currently have an '07 STi that is fun to drive, but at the end of the day it's still a 4-door car with AWD, not a RWD coupe.

However, I've seen a bunch of STis that are made into track cars, but I'm a little hesitant of the cost involved to get it up to that level (rotors, brakes, air/oil seperator, rad, water pump, etc etc). Serious investment to get into next level, and starting to wonder what else is out there.

What other cars around the same price point, lower or higher, are good/better options than an STi for track days? I've looked at M3's as well, but the NA engine makes me wonder about power at this altitude...

Current mod list on STi for reference:
    -Megan racing coilvers
    -Nitto NT01 tires 255/40/17
    -Motegi 17" wheels (basic wheels)
    -Hawk HPS pads
    -3 in catback exhaust, HKS Carbon-Ti can
    -Dyno tune (265whp, 290lb-ft at wheels)

Cheers

Current look:

Last edited by Canmorite; 12-28-2014 at 10:32 PM.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

The e46 m3s are easier to drive fast on fast tracks compared to the STI. A 996 turbo is a fantastic all around car for street and track. Unfortunately it's double the price. An evo 9 would be a cool option as well.

Tough as there isn't much out there in the 20-25K range that's quicker than a modified sti, even in the used market.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

My BRZ was an awesome track car with a couple mods to the suspension and wheels and tires last year, the downside was the lack of power, I was getting passed on the straights by Miatas...

Now with boost, I can't wait to not get left behind on the main straights.

Downside number two: cost...

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Tough as there isn't much out there in the 20-25K range that's quicker than a modified sti, even in the used market.
    $20-25K is a perfect budget for a track monster LS swapped FD, which (if you can drive) will decimate all at race wars.

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?board=11.0

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

If you really wanna have fun, get a second set of wheels and mount some race tires like RA1s or R888s.

My Integra on some very old, very used race tires was faster than 90% of the cars at the trackdays I went to. Cars with triple the horsepower.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Sentry
    If you really wanna have fun, get a second set of wheels and mount some race tires like RA1s or R888s.

My Integra on some very old, very used race tires was faster than 90% of the cars at the trackdays I went to. Cars with triple the horsepower.
    I had a set of Nitto NT01's for this year and they were great. Outran an E92 M3 at castrol no problem with those tires.

Theres one white FD on that link that looks badass. Fully built track car, but for $35K+. Not saying it's not worth it, but still.

James your BRZ was super quick at the auto-x's I attended. The cost is a downsize, but for me I like a car with more power out of the box. A SC'd BRZ could be a ton of fun though. I'll look into it.

Keep 'em coming! I think I'm leaning more and more towards a summer car only, the STi does everything well but not one thing great haha.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I think if I was to do it again I would do an Integra (ideally a Type R)

Originally posted by EM2FTL

$20-25K is a perfect budget for a track monster LS swapped FD, which (if you can drive) will decimate all at race wars.

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?board=11.0
    Not to derail, but an LS swapped FD is not a great car for serious track duty.

Another vote for 996tt
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    I think if I was to do it again I would do an Integra (ideally a Type R)
    Even a prepped GSR would be tons of fun, hell my base rsx is still fun when I want it to be

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Originally posted by 962 kid

Not to derail, but an LS swapped FD is not a great car for serious track duty.

Another vote for 996tt
    Yeah, well, that's like, your opinion, man.

No but seriously, wat? An LS swapped FD has been dominating TA for years up here in Etown. What are you basing that on?

Originally posted by EM2FTL

Yeah, well, that's like, your opinion, man.

No but seriously, wat? An LS swapped FD has been dominating TA for years up here in Etown. What are you basing that on?
    Again, not really interested in derailing this thread. To be brief, concerns arise mainly from having to buy someone else's project car - no further explanation needed. Secondly, LS swapped FDs have oiling issues when driven hard on even moderately grippy tires.

Not that they can't be fast... you just won't be getting a fully sorted track ready dry sumped LSFD for anywhere near 20-25k, and once you start going over that price range there are more/better options.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    The e46 m3s are easier to drive fast on fast tracks compared to the STI. A 996 turbo is a fantastic all around car for street and track. Unfortunately it's double the price. An evo 9 would be a cool option as well.
    Originally posted by 962 kid

Another vote for 996tt
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/382413/fs...che-911-turbo/ Have seen this car in person and it's awesome. I'd feel awful for winter driving it though haha.

Originally posted by Canmorite

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/382413/fs...che-911-turbo/ Have seen this car in person and it's awesome. I'd feel awful for winter driving it though haha.
    Yeah that's a fun car, sold though :p
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

By track car do you mean a dedicated road course time attack (Solo-1) car, an autocross (Solo-2) car, a dual purpose car? Will this car be trailered or do you want to maintain some street driveability? Do you want to prep it to a particular class?

NA may be slower at our altitude but in my experience it's also more reliable. Boost = heat.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

C5 Z06 would be another good sub $30k choice.

My Ride
    IS350

Default Re: Building a track car - keep STi, or new platform?

Originally posted by Canmorite
    my vote goes for the FD too...but personally bro I think you're going about this the wrong way. When I win, I take the cash AND I take the respect. To some people, that's more important...

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Default Re: Re: Building a track car - keep STi, or new platform?

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at E46 & E92 M3's, 996 Turbos and FD's. Something RWD would be fun.

Originally posted by 94boosted
    By track car do you mean a dedicated road course time attack (Solo-1) car, an autocross (Solo-2) car, a dual purpose car? Will this car be trailered or do you want to maintain some street driveability? Do you want to prep it to a particular class?

NA may be slower at our altitude but in my experience it's also more reliable. Boost = heat.
    I'm thinking a time attack car, with some driveability as it won't be trailered. No particular class, just fast fun laps on a track. Hell, it might even be winter driven. It's a hard bill to fit.

True, definitely found that out this year. Proper cooling is super important for longer sprints on the track.

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    C5 Z06 would be another good sub $30k choice.
    Although I think they're good looking cars, I don't think I can ever seen myself in one. C6 maybe, but even then.

Originally posted by Stephen81

my vote goes for the FD too...but personally bro I think you're going about this the wrong way. When I win, I take the cash AND I take the respect. To some people, that's more important...
    Whateva Lexus boy. You know what? My STi will decimate all after I put about fifteen grand in it or more.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

ok i'll be that guy... what about a miata?

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    ok i'll be that guy... what about a miata?
    No. Stop telling people to buy them, the good ones are getting scarce and expensive

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I've read that the Miata is one of the best budget cars, I'd prefer a s2000 is it fairly comparable for being a track car?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast