Quantcast
Telus Internet 25: my UL speed is only 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Telus Internet 25: my UL speed is only 3

Default Telus Internet 25: my UL speed is only 3

I had the old Internet 6. Finally got around to having Telus come by 2 days ago to switch my subscription to Internet 25. Zyxel modem taken out. Actiontec is the new one.

Wifi
    Ping 7
    DL 19.13
    UL 2.95

Ethernet
    Ping 7
    DL 26.51
    UL 2.95

The above speedtest.net were done at 530am using my laptop. As you can see, I'm only getting 60% of the advertised UL speed. Is it reasonable for me to raise that concern with Telus? I'm sure they're going to say it's not important

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It's the exact speed as advertised. "Up to 5Mbps".
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

TELUS says up to 5Mbps upload speed - it would seem you're within the range of that statement.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Better to call Telus and see, you should be able to get your rated upload speed at off peak hours contrary to what the two people above are saying.

I actually get about 25% above my rated upload speed (12.5 tested, 10 rated)

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Better to call Telus and see, you should be able to get your rated upload speed at off peak hours contrary to what the two people above are saying.

I actually get about 25% above my rated upload speed (12.5 tested, 10 rated)
    Should? Nothing contrary - his speeds are within what TELUS states he could get. At the same time, one usually gets more then that stated maximums or at least that's what I experienced on TELUS Internet 25 (DSL) and Internet 50 (optical) - that's not to say though that TELUS will actually do anything for the OP.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Oh, you must be on RFD, I replied to you on there. If it's DSL it's more or let normal. I get higher then advertised myself on fiber.

So 50 is fibre?

What if I change it to 50 and then couple months down the road, switch it back to 25? Will it stay fibre?

On a side note, I connected my old Linksys e3200 router to the Actiontec. Have my laptop connected wifi to the Linksys. Getting 26.xx for DL but the same 2.9x for UL.

Not sure why the DL is significantly better on the Linksys???

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

50 is not necessarily fibre.

Depends on where you live.

15 can be fibre in the new areas.

50 can be 2 ADSL lines bonded together. There are a bunch of variations.

I think they can even do 100 with 2 bonded lines.

Before telus enforcing the caps, i would have left it. Now since they insist on charging overages for going over, i would expect compensation for being under advertised speeds...regardless of the fine print. Its a pipe dream i know, but i wouldn't mind spending a few minutes every other day calling in to complain.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

You know people want to bitch about overage charges.. Well guess what... Upgrade your plan.

Its like bitching about your truck using $100 a day in fuel but your the one CHOOSING to drive that truck. You could drive a car.

My setup again: Linksys E3200 router ---> Actiontec ---> Telus

Actiontec

12ms
    16.35DL
    4.93UL

Linksys

32ms
    26.85DL
    4.88UL

Telus must have changed a setting recently.

I'm still not sure why the DL when connected to the Actiontec is whacked.

My Ride
    Axis powers

As a Telus customer myself, if you notice your internet connection reset around 1am it's Telus' servers automatically checking your connection and finding the best circuit for you, wait a week and see what your speeds are

I went through this when I moved to my new house and they put in a DSL service after having fibre at my old house

And for those who say off peak hours, this isn't Shaw, Telus gives you a dedicated connection not some shared garbage
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by adam c
    As a Telus customer myself, if you notice your internet connection reset around 1am it's Telus' servers automatically checking your connection and finding the best circuit for you, wait a week and see what your speeds are

I went through this when I moved to my new house and they put in a DSL service after having fibre at my old house

And for those who say off peak hours, this isn't Shaw, Telus gives you a dedicated connection not some shared garbage
    It may be a dedicated line from your house to your neighborhood node but it is a common fibre line from there. If your node cannot sustain the amount of internet traffic for that area, your speeds will suffer during peak hours. Hence telling him to check at lower traffic hours to see if it isn't just his neighborhood is over saturated.

My Ride

As others have said, 50mbps doesn't have to be fiber. In some communities, like Silverado, they only have Fiber (at least to my parents place) and my parents are on 25mbps, but can easily go back to 15mbps if they wanted to.

If you can't get fiber to your home, then you are stuck with DSL, which isn't a bad thing by any means, just limits your max speed to 50mbps on bonded connection, and 25mbps on a single connection.

The difference in speed between the devices is probably just configuration. You can go around and play with settings on the actiontech, if you don't have any b or g wireless devices you can switch the configure it to exclude b as a compatible protocol and it should speed things up a bit.

You want WPA2-personal with AES for encryption type, and try to disable WMM, I did on mine and it improved speeds a lot. I have a hacked firmware on my actiontech so not sure how many of these things you can actually change on your router.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by eblend
    As others have said, 50mbps doesn't have to be fiber. In some communities, like Silverado, they only have Fiber (at least to my parents place) and my parents are on 25mbps, but can easily go back to 15mbps if they wanted to.

If you can't get fiber to your home, then you are stuck with DSL, which isn't a bad thing by any means, just limits your max speed to 50mbps on bonded connection, and 25mbps on a single connection.

The difference in speed between the devices is probably just configuration. You can go around and play with settings on the actiontech, if you don't have any b or g wireless devices you can switch the configure it to exclude b as a compatible protocol and it should speed things up a bit.

You want WPA2-personal with AES for encryption type, and try to disable WMM, I did on mine and it improved speeds a lot. I have a hacked firmware on my actiontech so not sure how many of these things you can actually change on your router.
    Or he can just setup the DMZ and use his own router

Originally posted by pheoxs

It may be a dedicated line from your house to your neighborhood node but it is a common fibre line from there. If your node cannot sustain the amount of internet traffic for that area, your speeds will suffer during peak hours. Hence telling him to check at lower traffic hours to see if it isn't just his neighborhood is over saturated.
    True as that may be, Telus is far ahead of Shaw in that regard, I've always been at 98%-100% of my purchased speed on Telus no matter what time of day I use it, when I was on Shaw it would range from 30% - 75% of my purchased speed, never anything more
    Last edited by adam c; 03-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride

Or he can just setup the DMZ and use his own router

He could, but by the sounds of it he wants to use Telus router.

I use the DMZ route myself with my checkpoint firewall, going to mess around with it and see if I can dump the actiontech all together and just go directly off the fiber modem..HPNA is the only thing holding me back as most of my TVs connect through that. Plan is to try to use one of these suckers that Telus left for me when I first got Optik

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

True as that may be, Telus is far ahead of Shaw in that regard, I've always been at 98%-100% of my purchased speed on Telus no matter what time of day I use it, when I was on Shaw it would range from 30% - 75% of my purchased speed, never anything more
    All depends on your area.

I'm on Shaw BB50

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by eblend

He could, but by the sounds of it he wants to use Telus router.

I use the DMZ route myself with my checkpoint firewall, going to mess around with it and see if I can dump the actiontech all together and just go directly off the fiber modem..HPNA is the only thing holding me back as most of my TVs connect through that. Plan is to try to use one of these suckers that Telus left for me when I first got Optik

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Why do you guys have to go the DMZ route? I'm not using the actiontec at all. It's not even plugged in. It goes straight from the modem to my own router. (This is with fibre, does DSL feed straight into the actiontec?)

Edit: I don't have Telus TV I guess, I forgot they feed off the router.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 03-04-2015 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I go direct to the fibre modem.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

All depends on your area.

I'm on Shaw BB50

I was getting similar speeds to that when i was on shaw bb50 in the renfrew area. When I moved out to applewood and went on bb100, speeds were slower than the previous bb50 pretty consistently.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast