Quantcast
Advice on new Career $30+/hr - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Advice on new Career $30+/hr

Originally posted by Darkane

The market is quite dry right now for fresh grads. Wait until the next oil boom and land those high paying FIFO positions
    not all power engineer jobs are in O&G you have power plants, pulp and paper, other mills and factories. just O&G pay more

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

ASET has a good description on what a MET actually is and the possible careers.

http://www.aset.ab.ca/careers/attrib...echanical.html

I'm personally wanting to work towards manufacturing or corrosion. I will be continuing my education hopefully through programs at NACE (National association of corrosion engineers), i actually received a scholarship from the organization

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by 88jbody

not all power engineer jobs are in O&G you have power plants, pulp and paper, other mills and factories. just O&G pay more
    Yes you're right. There's just a lack of jobs for new grads with no experience.

Trust me, I'm somewhat always in contact with new grads or just graduating people. We have students at my plant and I also sit on SAITs PET Advisory committee.

There is building operations too. Also I'd forget about getting a job near calgary right now. Real tough market in the "alternative" industry jobs to O&G you mentioned.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 10:17 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Somebody had to bring some reality to the last couple of posts ^^^

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Rat Fink,

I have already done MET work at a summer job where they treated me exactly like I was a grad. I have already received a job before graduating.

I have no idea what your issues are with being able to use your paper and find employment. There are tons of opprontinty for a tech which is exactly what myself and my classmates are currently find out even in a time of economic down turn. The program has a 92% employment rate and I have no doubt.

I did not cut off my knees by being a tech, I enjoy what I do. I had a 2.84 in university but wasn't enjoying it. Switched to SAIT and actually for the first time in my life enjoyed attending classes, I currently have a 3.96. The program is easier than degree, but its still no walk in the park. Its way easier to be successful when you enjoy it.

Before doing the switch I did extensive research (web and with a variety of different engineers) to insure that I would have no regrets. I am 100% happy with my decision and even though I have the opportunity to go back for my degree I have no interest.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 03-29-2015 at 11:22 AM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 10:17 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3