Quantcast
Things to do around Calgary & the Rockies - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Things to do around Calgary & the Rockies

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by BigMass

wow, great pictures! Cute bear! how close did you get to it?
    Thanks man! He was probably 50-60ft away? Really bad at estimating distances lol.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Thanks for all the input guys. I know I can't fit everything suggested so I think I'll probably be doing something like this...

Vancouver - Kelowna - Lake Louise - Moraine Lake - Banff - Lake Minnewanka - Kananaski - Calgary - Edmonton

I'm definitely doing the Heli tour, thanks for the link beyond_ban . The only downside on that is that it's from the Icefield Base at Cline River instead of the Kananaskis which would have been ideal.

So for our trip from Edmonton to Calgary I'll probably do the heli tour then and the Glacier skywalk and stay over in Banff and head to Calgary.

Then after a few days head to Vegas.

It just means I'll have to bring the wife to Canada another time and woo her then and get her to fall in love with the place.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sounds like a really fun trip!! Ask questions about those areas, lots to see and do.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

So things have changed a bit. First of all that Groupon link was good until I called up the place and they said when I arrive it obviously won't be snow shoeing season and they would do a hike instead. I'm a bit gutted about that so I decided to pass. I'd rather do something snow related.

We are now flying from Vancouver to Calgary.
    And it the trip will be Calgary - Lake Minnewanka - Lake Louise - Moraine Lake - Banff (overnight accommodation).

Next day from Banff - Columbia Icefield (do that, Athabasca Glacier & the Skywalk) - Athabasca Falls - Edmonton.

Definitely don't have enough time but does anyone have any recommendations to break up the drive from Athabasca Fall to Edmonton?

Thanks for all the input so far guys

Trip:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Originally posted by /////AMG

Definitely don't have enough time but does anyone have any recommendations to break up the drive from Athabasca Fall to Edmonton?

Trip:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Jasper townsite, maybe the gondola? Maligne Canyon/Lake could be worth a visit, but it's not really on the way to Edmonton. Possibly Edson on the way back for a bite and washroom break. Don't remember there being much between Edson and the Greater Edmonton Area.
    Last edited by ga16i; 05-20-2015 at 01:17 PM.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I prefer canmore over Banff. Less touristy.

http://www.billcorbett.ca/books.html

http://www.amazon.ca/Day-Trips-Calga.../dp/1770500111

Day Trips From Calgary by Bill Corbett

(Whitecap Books, 2010) – A new, completely updated edition of the book was published in the spring of 2010, revised in 2013, featuring two new trips and more recommended places to eat and get coffee and road snacks. The book, first published in 1995 and since expanded four times, has to date sold nearly 60,000 copies. It describes some 90 destinations – ranging from foothills and mountains to prairies and badlands – that can be reached within a two-hour drive from Calgary. Each trip describes the route from Calgary and what can be seen and done along the way – including lots of history, geography, geology and watchable wildlife. Just reading the book, I hope, will give you a good sense of the landscapes and history we’re blessed with in southern Alberta.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Maligne Canyon look like a good quick stop

Banff has to be done because most of the people haven't seen it..they are tourists lol. I've been there loads of times but I guess it has to be done.

Day Trips From Calgary looks good, I'll check it out

My Ride
    G6

If you fly in on the 12th instead of the 13th, you can catch a Stampeders game. It's the pre-season game, so it's not like it'll sell out. Could be a few hours nicely spent in the sunshine over a few beers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2