Quantcast
iPhone vs Samsung S5 VS Samsung Alpha. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: iPhone vs Samsung S5 VS Samsung Alpha.

My Ride
    97 Supra tt

Default iPhone vs Samsung S5 VS Samsung Alpha.

I'm thinking about switching out the iPhone 4S for something else. What is your opinion on the phones & what one do you like the most?
    IPhone 5C or 6
    Samsung S5
    Samsung Alpha

Also, coming from a house full of Mac stuff. How much would I like the Samsung & how much trouble would it be to get used to it.

Thanks
    751HP HKS V-Pro, Tuned by: Justin Nenni

I tried out the Nexus 5 when it first came out, ended up selling it around a week later lol. I just couldn't get used to the Android OS and went back to the iPhone.

If you have a house full of Mac stuff I would stick to the iPhone 6.
    Last edited by J.M.; 03-04-2015 at 08:48 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Galaxy s6 comes out next month. Looks great so that might be worth looking at. I am going to get one myself.

I agree with all the apple stuff, if you have it already, the phones just talk better to your current equipment.

also, something most people overlook, I thought about getting the 6 but got the 6 plus instead. After taking a day or two to get used to its size, you can't imagine ever using a smaller phone.

The Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 are going to be available in a few weeks, I would hold on a little bit. You may not care, but the phones you listed are going to be replaced in 6 months already.

I am getting either an SGS6, M9, or Nexus 6. Can't make up my mind! I kind of want to try something new.

Both OS's are ridiculously easy to learn, I don't imagine you would have any issues whatsoever.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-05-2015 at 10:18 AM.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

If you're fairly good with technology making the switch wouldn't be too bad, usually takes a few weeks to get used to it. Most people give up after a few days.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by jltabot
    After taking a day or two to get used to its size, you can't imagine ever using a smaller phone.
    Yes, because it is always in your hands......because it doesn't fit in your pocket

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    The Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 are going to be available in a few weeks, I would hold on a little bit. You may not care, but the phones you listed are going to be replaced in 6 months already.

I am getting either an SGS6, M9, or Nexus 6. Can't make up my mind! I kind of want to try something new.

Both OS's are ridiculously easy to learn, I don't imagine you would have any issues whatsoever.
    I would say S6 over either of those. LG and Moto will be later in the year. I read about the Snapdragon problems, so since all of the other flagship phones will have the 810, I feel better off with the samsung. Also the design is probably the closest to apple build quality of any android phone.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Default Re: iPhone vs Samsung S5 VS Samsung Alpha.

Originally posted by redmethods
    I'm thinking about switching out the iPhone 4S for something else. What is your opinion on the phones & what one do you like the most?
    IPhone 5C or 6
    Samsung S5
    Samsung Alpha

Also, coming from a house full of Mac stuff. How much would I like the Samsung & how much trouble would it be to get used to it.

Thanks
    There will be a learning curve if you move to Android, but you could get up to speed fairly quick. It would take a week or so but you would then be opwrating android just as easily as you did ios. Samsung does have an app called SmartSwitch, that let's you bring over most of your phones content front your old iDevice to your new Samsung, if you decide to go that route. I will also say that once you get a big screen phone, you wont be able to go back to a device with a smaller screen.

I would skip the iPhone 5c, that thing is junk.

Is there a way you could use your current phone for another month? The Galaxy S6 comes out April 10. I played with it yesterday and my God has Samsung hit a home run with this one. I only had a couple minutes with it but I thought it had amazing feel in the hand with the metal and glass going on like iPhone, and it was incredibly zippy to use. Plus the camera is incredible as well.

For me it would be between S6, iPhone 6, and Note 4. Depends how big a screen you want and if you can wait another month. Bell just knocked a $100 off the Note 4, down to 199 on a 2yr contract.

Originally posted by schocker

I would say S6 over either of those. LG and Moto will be later in the year. I read about the Snapdragon problems, so since all of the other flagship phones will have the 810, I feel better off with the samsung. Also the design is probably the closest to apple build quality of any android phone.
    Yeah I wish I had a Moto X '2015' to add to my list of candidates. Moto's hardware is phenomenal - that is the big thing in favor of the N6, however since I need to commit for 3 years, I think I want to go 64bit.

I always thought the HTC's looked pretty good but I have yet to own one (kind of want to get one to try). My work won't pay for iPhones anymore - I was on the list for an iPhone 6 in January but that plan kind of went out the window when I found out it would cost me $970 haha. We've had so many issues with them they are discouraging their use. I also found out I have to commit for 3 years, so I want some newer tech.

Link to the Snapdragon issues? I can't find anything but rumors with Google. I've got to believe a company like HTC wouldn't put them in their phones without testing, since that could tank the entire model. If they did that would be quite the blunder! The new Samsung chip looks to be a beast though, I am leaning toward the S6 myself. Also, the camera is more important to me than I thought it was before, and the S6's looks quite good (OIS, tracking AF, decent sensor). The 810 looks like it may have the better GPU though. If only the S6 had the boomsound speakers and expandable storage it would be perfect. I also hate TouchWiz, but they seem to have really cleaned it up.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-05-2015 at 12:01 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^I don't like the HTC design because of no revised design between M7 8 9. Also weaker hardware compared to the samsung. I was reading about the processor on reddit/android, it is the heat that is poor so I thought I saw they had to underclock and are already doing damage control by announcing that the 820 will ship later this year but won't be in phones for probably a years time. S6 has great camera, wireless charging, snappy, the battery saver mode and tons of other features. I don't like S3/4/5 at all and yet the S6 was such a drastic change I want it.

These are some excellent videos from samsung showing off the features of the phone
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...icial_handson/
    I have already convinced 2 others to get one also. I like the 32gb non-edge most likely.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

I'm going to be getting the s6 as well, using the note 4 currently and will miss the s-pen but the size of the s6 along with the specs....

^^ Good videos, that is looking pretty awesome. Not a fan of the protruding cameras, but it seems to offer a lot in return (F1.9, OIS, AF tracking, etc.) Once you have a case on it usually becomes flush and isn't as big a deal. Can't really tell it's themed with TouchWiz from the videos, which is a good thing. It also has 10-minute 4hr charge and 30-minute 8hr charge I believe. I would go non-edge as well. I'll probably try it out for work and if I like it, get a second one for personal use at least until Fall (when hopefully a true N5 successor appears).

How has Samsung been with Android updates? Getting them immediately with Nexus has been such a huge selling point for me. HTC pledged 90 days max, but has failed to meet that more than once in the past.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    ^^ Good videos, that is looking pretty awesome. Not a fan of the protruding cameras, but it seems to offer a lot in return (F1.9, OIS, AF tracking, etc.) Once you have a case on it usually becomes flush and isn't as big a deal. Can't really tell it's themed with TouchWiz from the videos, which is a good thing. It also has 10-minute 4hr charge and 30-minute 8hr charge I believe. I would go non-edge as well. I'll probably try it out for work and if I like it, get a second one for personal use at least until Fall (when hopefully a true N5 successor appears).

How has Samsung been with Android updates? Getting them immediately with Nexus has been such a huge selling point for me. HTC pledged 90 days max, but has failed to meet that more than once in the past.
    Yes, even my n5 has a camera bump so I am used to it. I will get a spigen case anyways have to decide just the thin shell or the one with the kickstand. They already have them all on their website: http://www.spigen.com/brands/samsung...galaxy-s6.html

The fast charge is nice as my n5 is currently always dead. Wireless charging is my main sell as I have one at work and one at home. N5 successor is going to be made by hauwai though, and a larger one by a normal brand.

Android updates for samsung though I thought are carrier based no? I saw that the S5 lollipop on Bell started coming out yesterday which is about average speed I think. I like nexus but I had 5.0 when it came out and 5.0.1 completely buggered up my phone which is why I want a new one so having updates faster is not always good.

Originally posted by schocker

Yes, even my n5 has a camera bump so I am used to it. I will get a spigen case anyways have to decide just the thin shell or the one with the kickstand. They already have them all on their website: http://www.spigen.com/brands/samsung...galaxy-s6.html

The fast charge is nice as my n5 is currently always dead. Wireless charging is my main sell as I have one at work and one at home. N5 successor is going to be made by hauwai though, and a larger one by a normal brand.

Android updates for samsung though I thought are carrier based no? I saw that the S5 lollipop on Bell started coming out yesterday which is about average speed I think. I like nexus but I had 5.0 when it came out and 5.0.1 completely buggered up my phone which is why I want a new one so having updates faster is not always good.
    While I hate camera bumps, The N5 bump is like 0.5mm, so it hasn't been a big issue for me even though I wish it didn't have one at all. I also use a Ringke Slim case which makes it flush while adding almost zero bulk. Looks like they have S6 cases too, even for the edge, which should solve the issue:

http://www.amazon.ca/Galaxy-S6-Case-...slim+galaxy+s6

But those Spigen Neo Hybrids look at least as good. Ultra-slim phones are not a selling point for me haha. They just bend like the iPhones or end up with significant camera protrusions and smaller batteries. At least with the glass back, the S6 should hopefully be less prone to bending but even it has a smaller battery than the S5. The ridiculously quick charging should make up for that though I guess.

Interesting the N5 successor is a Hauwai - the Chinese have been putting out some good hardware lately. I have been so happy with my N5, it's the only phone I've ever owned that I haven't upgraded within a year - hopefully they do just as good of a job with the successor.

Do you know if the S6 camera has sapphire crystal covering? Also I don't think the S6 has MHL support which is actually a huge drawback. With my N5/N9 I just attach a USB stick right to the device and have unlimited movies for flights and such.

s6 has only a 2550mah battery?? are u fucking kidding me? ugh

other than that everything else looks like a plus...i just cant get over my one plus one battery life with a 3100 mah battery...

My Ride
    This and that.

Stick to Apple if you have Apple stuff and are used to it already. I am not stuck with an single OS and have used them all and currently have the iPhone 6 and BB Passport. To be honest prefer using the Passport to the iPhone 6 in lots of ways, minus the games etc. Went through several Android phones latest one being Note 4 and might pick the S6 but simply cause of the edge screen. Other than that all Android's are the same. If you really do feel like switching stick to other iOS or Android. Either of these OS's will provide you compatibility with pretty much everything more or less. I have Google Play on my Passport so have access to all Android apps which is what I think is part of the appeal for me. I do love the way it looks and how it's relatively rare compared to the iPhone or in general from the phones that look like that.