Quantcast
Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge

For those of you hoping for a bigger battery, the S6 "Active" is supposed to be getting a 3,500 mAh battery which is a significant bump.

My Ride
    ralli///art, 09 zx6r

Pre ordered a black 64bg edge with Rogers. Been an iPhone user for awhile now and finally decided to give Samsung a try. We'll see how that works. Paying $10 per month on my phone bill so I can't complain. ($70 corp rate -$60 that my company pays monthly + $200 hardware upgrade allowance per year)

For work, what phone do you guys use?

Originally posted by aypi
    For work, what phone do you guys use?
    Currently use an iPhone 4S for work, but they have been so problematic for us over the last few years (the 5's & 6's too) that we are moving away from them. I have recently learned we now have to buy them with our own money if we want one. The company pays if it's Android or BB. Also, the iOS email, even in iOS 8, is a joke - you can't even attach documents to an existing email which is literally a daily frustration. Just doesn't work well for us for business, especially when work phone use is primarily email. Originally we were supposed to get new phones in January, and I was planning on trying the iPhone 6 out just for fun, but that plan went out the window for a number of reasons.

Trying out the S6 as it look to be easily the best smartphone at the moment - it will be my first Galaxy "S" device. I also have to make my decision last 3 years (our work contracts are 3, not 2 like I thought), so I didn't want to buy into dated tech.

Rogers Pre-Orders come with the Samsung Wireless Chargers as well

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by slick2404

I'm leaning towards the s6 edge. If you can get a rep at the store to get you this plan, you're set.

Telus SK/MB Plan
    Basically:
    Unlimited Nationwide Call/Text
    5GB data
    CD/VM

That plan is ridiculously good. Anyone have any luck getting that in Alberta?
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Ford F150

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=139752

Apparently its possible with koodo
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

I think I mentioned my plan in other thread, my current plan is very similar,
    Fav 10, 500min, 5gig data, wknd/night free etc and my total is $63.00 after tax.
    I got them about 2 years ago as part of a retention offer from Telus.
    Today, I logged into Telus to see if I could pre-order SGS6 edge, and Telus won't allow me to upgrade with my current plan. I guess I have to wait until they come out and purchase outright.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    For those of you hoping for a bigger battery, the S6 "Active" is supposed to be getting a 3,500 mAh battery which is a significant bump.
    does the s6 active have any differences from the s6 or s6 edge in terms of hardware specs?

if the only difference is a bigger battery, i would totally ditch my One Plus One for it i think

//edit
    according to some google-fu, its either gonna be same 5.1 inch screen size as s6(edge) or 5.5 inch (bigger than s6)

the rest of the stuff inside is supposedly the same, except the battery is expected to be 3500mah.

ive recently become quite active with rooting, custom rom's, etc with my One Plus One, and i imagine theres going to be lots of support for the s6 (edge) in terms of custom roms, kernels, etc. So if the insides are the same for both the s6(edge) and the s6 active, hopefully the same level of hacking/etc will exist for both

I'm kinda tempted to wait and see how development works out with the phones first on xda, then decide if i want to switch over or not (and hopefully with a year left on my contract currently, that will bring me closer to the 6 month left on my contract mark and Rogers might offer to waive the upgrade fee as they sometimes do )

hmmm... choosing a phone based on hacking/custom ROM/kernel support.... does that mean im kinda nerdy !?!
    Last edited by EK69; 03-15-2015 at 04:21 PM.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...iew-1227p3.php

So it seems the battery life will only slightly be better than iPhone 6. Less than S5.

I usually can't get a full day out of iPhone 6 so this is crappy news.

Maybe software tweaks will make battery last longer?

My Ride
    Grimace

That battery life seems pretty good, you also still have battery saving mode due tot he screen being amoled. Some other places have confirmed the 8 hr web browsing and 10hr video. My N5 currently gets like 1.5h web and 2h video

is that 8 hour web browsing over LTE? So therefore 8 hour screen on time? That would be freakin sweet....

Originally posted by Hero_X
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...iew-1227p3.php

So it seems the battery life will only slightly be better than iPhone 6. Less than S5.

I usually can't get a full day out of iPhone 6 so this is crappy news.

Maybe software tweaks will make battery last longer?
    I don't think it'll be that bad. The iPhone6 only has a tiny 1800 mAh battery, and the battery life isn't great so this should hopefully do much better with 2550 mAh. There's always tweaks you can make. Also, battery life seems to vary a lot from person to person, easily 50-100% variance depending on usage and options. Contrary to Shcoker's experience, my N5 is still getting an average of 30 hours between charges on a smaller 2,300 mAh battery, so the S6 should be able to match that with a larger battery I would think.

8:45 browsing or 10:24 video playback is pretty impressive. That should EASILY cover off a day of heavy usage, and then it charges back up to full in around an hour. Or if you need 4 more hours, most people should be able to find time to put it on the charger for 10min pretty easily. I always forget to charge my phone before I go out, and that will be awesome. That's a non-production unit as well, so likely to be even better. I'm first on the list for one through our supplier so hopefully I get it on the 10th.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-16-2015 at 01:14 PM.

See I'm not sure how they're doing their web-browsing tests. Is it over wifi? If it is then it isn't much of an indicator of battery performance considering most people are not gonna have consistent wifi access. Better indicator would be over LTE.

I usually get great battery life if my phone is just on wifi but it does drain quicker if on LTE.

Same with their video playback. I wonder if it's with all the connections (network + wifi + bluetooth) on or if it's with everything else turned off.

Originally posted by Hero_X
    See I'm not sure how they're doing their web-browsing tests. Is it over wifi? If it is then it isn't much of an indicator of battery performance considering most people are not gonna have consistent wifi access. Better indicator would be over LTE.

I usually get great battery life if my phone is just on wifi but it does drain quicker if on LTE.

Same with their video playback. I wonder if it's with all the connections (network + wifi + bluetooth) on or if it's with everything else turned off.
    Yeah I am not sure about that one...I read their testing method detail and it didn't say anything too specific unless I was looking in the wrong place. That said, I've never seen a battery test done like that with the phone in airplane mode, so I have got to believe the radios were still on.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

I was at Rogers in market mall and they have both the s6 and the s6 edge to demo. I only got to play with it for a minute but it seems pretty nice so far!

Android Authority's review:

http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...review-595233/

Only thing I noticed they got wrong is they say the battery isn't replaceable, when in fact it is quite easy to replace.

Also, you can remove most if not all of TouchWiz, including S-Voice, which is a very welcome change.

My Ride
    Grimace

Yup. All the review sound great, and you can customized touchwiz with skins etc. and also remove/disable most samsung apps which is great. Can't wait to get one. Looks like amazon already has some spigen cases in stock also.

I want one so bad. But must wait ... lol not to mention put up with BS with Telus

Are there any Samsung made cases (other than the S view case)?

I want to get a case for it but I don't like the flip cover.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast