Quantcast
Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by shakalaka

Quite steep, I will try to wait maybe for a while before it's a little more readily available.

EDIT: I noticed some Samsung Edge's already on sale on Kijiji, what are they if these don't get released until April 10th?
    Yeah, it is pretty pricey this time around, not bad though as it is $700 USD which would be $875 here if it was priced like some companies do business

Originally posted by Hero_X
    Did you renew contract or buy outright?

Where can I buy outright?
    I think I will end up buying outright for my company. Minimal savings if I was to get it subsidized and require a more expensive plan.

Type - Plan /m - 24 m - Above Plan - Phone - Total - Diff
    Current - 63 - 1512 - - 700 - 2212 - 0
    Silver - 70 - 1680 - 168 - 600 - 2280 - 68
    Gold - 75 - 1800 - 288 - 300 - 2100 - -112
    Platinum - 105 - 2520 - 1008 - 100 - 2620 - 408

That is me sample on virgin mobile buying an S5. Buying out is only $112 more than locking in for 2 years on a gold plan.
    Last edited by schocker; 03-05-2015 at 04:21 PM.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Whos planning on upgrading and willing to sell me their S5???
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    Has AWD

how the flying fuck do you ppl afford these $1000 phones........i mean for fuck sakes a laptop top of the line is now on par if not cheeper than a cell phone........wtf

Originally posted by MGCM
    how the flying fuck do you ppl afford these $1000 phones........i mean for fuck sakes a laptop top of the line is now on par if not cheeper than a cell phone........wtf
    A new phone every year is extremely easy to justify IMO. For me, it is my single most used possession (that probably goes for a whole lot of people these days). Take the $750 SGS6 for example. Sell the previous top-end phone for say, $150-$300, and I am left with a $600 bill on the high scenario. If I practically give away my previous phone, that is $1.64/day for the luxury of having a top of the line phone every year, and less than a Tim Hortons coffee. Pretty easy decision for me to make given how much I rely on it day to day for so many important things. I don't have a house phone either, so it becomes an even easier decision.

Now, I realize you can break anything you want down like that, but people tend to spend more money on things they use heavily and rely on every single day. Phones these days cost little compared to how important they are IMO, as sad as that is haha.

Top of the line laptops are WAY more than $1000.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-05-2015 at 05:26 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Good laptops are like $1400+ tho. You pay a premium for a small package like this. I am only getting the $750 dollar version tho.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

A new phone every year is extremely easy to justify IMO. For me, it is my single most used possession (that probably goes for a whole lot of people these days). Take the $750 SGS6 for example. Sell the previous top-end phone for say, $150-$300, and I am left with a $600 bill on the high scenario. If I practically give away my previous phone, that is $1.64/day for the luxury of having a top of the line phone every year, and less than a Tim Hortons coffee. Pretty easy decision for me to make given how much I rely on it day to day for so many important things. I don't have a house phone either, so it becomes an even easier decision.

Now, I realize you can break anything you want down like that, but people tend to spend more money on things they use heavily and rely on every single day. Phones these days cost little compared to how important they are IMO, as sad as that is haha.

Top of the line laptops are WAY more than $1000.
    I get that, but what is the marginal difference (day to day useage), between this and a S4 or Nexus 5?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Reserved a 64gb edge. My S4 has been so laggy the last few months and the battery has been extremely annoying, April 10th can't come any sooner!
    Mercs

Is it just me or our only options are black or white?
    Mercs

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    I get that, but what is the marginal difference (day to day useage), between this and a S4 or Nexus 5?
    More features, faster, more memory, better specs, newer (I like new things!), newer OS, better build quality, better materials etc.

My Ride
    This and that.

I wish I only spent $1000 a year on a phone!
    I don't even want to start thinking about that, it's scary.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

What shocker said pretty much. It doesn't matter to me that my previous phone was plenty fast, if there are new speed increases, features, etc. that I will use and appreciate, I'm sold. The same marginal difference argument could be made for pretty much anything because what makes a huge difference to one person may not even be on someone else's mind. Phones are so cheap compared to their importance/usage that I am more than happy to buy a new one even for what some people may consider a marginal difference.

In the specific case of, say, the S4 and S6, I would happily pay the upgrade cost for the new camera or QHD OLED alone, so for me those are not marginal, but maybe the guy still happily rocking an S3 thinks it's a waste of money. It's all relative. If I use it daily, rely on it daily, and appreciate even small upgrades, it's a no-brainer to always have the latest & greatest when it's so inexpensive.

I know people who buy 2 or 3 $5.00 Starbucks per day, and have POS 4 year old phones (just as a random example). Just different priorities, no right or wrong way to go about it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-05-2015 at 07:02 PM.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Definitely going to upgrade to a S6. Played around with it on Wednesday and now it sucks I have to wait till April 10 to get my own. I don't care if they copied Apple's style or not. The fit and finish is top notch, the new Samsung Exynos processor flies, and the camera is probably the best I have seen on a smart phone. The lack of a removable battery and no SD card slot sucks, but based on Telus' pricing, Samsung is going to give you double the storage of the entry level iPhone 6 for less money. to Samsung. April 10th can't come fast enough.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by schocker

Good laptops are like $1400+ tho. You pay a premium for a small package like this. I am only getting the $750 dollar version tho.
    I never said Alienware tho I think those start at like $2000

.........here i am limping around on my Galaxy S2 and ppl are spending $1000 on new phones........am I the only one who see's these phone companies as crooks? Is that how its gunna be for the next few generations? Find some stupid new way to get ppl to blow all their hard earned money on some stupid new thing that nobody needs? I feel like the only one who is willing to speak out against this crap. Everyone is happy to just put there head down and do what everybody else is doing? Is it logical to have cell phones, yes. Is it logical to evolve cell phones to a level where ppl are willing to shell out $1000 once a year to buy the latest greatest? Or would it make more logical sence to release a new phone every 5 years and until then we can all just humbly accept it does the job we ask of it? How many billions could be saved and put into more useful things? Mankind seems to have evolved to the "Age of Money" and everyone has blindfolds on, thinking that massive amounts of wealth will fix anything and make you happy, such a farse.

But of course everyone has their heads so far up each others asses that
    Last edited by MGCM; 03-06-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:53 AM.

My Ride
    Grimace

I never said Alienware tho I think those start at like $2000

.........here i am limping around on my Galaxy S2 and ppl are spending $1000 on new phones........am I the only one who see's these phone companies as crooks? Is that how its gunna be for the next few generations? Find some stupid new way to get ppl to blow all their hard earned money on some stupid new thing that nobody needs? I feel like the only one who is willing to speak out against this crap. Everyone is happy to just put there head down and do what everybody else is doing? Is it logical to have cell phones, yes. Is it logical to evolve cell phones to a level where ppl are willing to shell out $1000 once a year to buy the latest greatest? Or would it make more logical sence to release a new phone every 5 years and until then we can all just humbly accept it does the job we ask of it? How many billions could be saved and put into more useful things? Mankind seems to have evolved to the "Age of Money" and everyone has blindfolds on, thinking that massive amounts of wealth will fix anything and make you happy, such a farse.

But of course everyone has their heads so far up each others asses that
    Whoa slow down there toma2

A good ultrabook with an i5 and an ssd is above $1k. My macbook pro was $1300 but I bought it refurbished, I believe a surface pro with those specs is $1500. How are they crooks, think about how amazing the technology is in a smart phone. Also try and think of a company that doesn't release refreshed products every year. Phones, cars, appliances etc. If a company released a new phone every 5 years, they would be out of business in no time. People expect innovation, and that only happens with new products. Especially since the average person subsidzes their phone anyways so even though (not $1000 unless you are getting top spec) it is expensive, they have no idea because they are only paying $299 etc. Now you are just on a tangent. You have some soviet type of phone idea that sounds horrible

So back to the new phones and what we think of them...

As mentioned the two biggest reasons for the S5 was expandable memory and removable battery, they took them away in the S6 so for me I'll be sticking with the S5. Wireless charging is great but I've had that on my S5 since last spring/summer so for me the S6 is going backwards.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Galaxy s2 is extremely outdated os wise and hardware but a lot of people don't require much from their phones.

With that said the Galaxy like has always been a top end line full of features and nuking the removable battery and expandable storage takes away this and now it's just a phone like every other one on the market.

When it comes time to upgrade my s4 unless they fix this stupidness I will be looking at another brand.

my grip with the new samsung devices, on par with iPhones.

at least Samsung will no longer use the cheaper than iPhone debate

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I want one bad but I just got my S5 last April. Problem is I cracked the screen and smashed the camera lense and it's bugging me, but otherwise the phone works fine

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by GQBalla
    my grip with the new samsung devices, on par with iPhones.

at least Samsung will no longer use the cheaper than iPhone debate
    The 32gb is still a better deal but now the 64 and 128 are the same. The build quality is actually good this time around so I am OK with the pricing. I can see the 6S going up in price though for the 6S if the dollar is still low in the fall.

I have had a nexus for my last two phones so I am fine with the no replaceable battery/micro sd. All my stuff is in the cloud (amazon, google music, drive, dropbox etc.) anyways and 32gb should be enough storage for me for some music/apps etc.

The battery though, do you guys not like it because you carry a second or use it enough that the battery needs to be replaced?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast