Quantcast
Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge

My Ride
    DA6, R59

I seem to be charging it more than my old S4 Galaxy. For example, moderate use since i disconnected it this morning around 7am and am currently at 65%. Not terrible but not amazing either.

I find myself charging it less then my GN4 but more then I had to charge my s5.

Granted I have not put it in power savings. Ultra power savings is such a neat setting. I almost prefer it at night.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    This and that.

So I got the S6 and enjoying it so far. Got a question about this stupid voicemail notification in the notification bar that won't go away. I've checked my voicemail a few time and there's nothing but the notification won't go away. How can I make it go away?

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Are these phones still carrier locked?

Originally posted by supe
    Are these phones still carrier locked?
    Yes.

-------------------------

So far I'm at 84% after 24 hours since my last charge, light use & some lunch hour browsing, but it's constantly fetching work emails, etc. A better test will be when I get my personal use one. I will be ordering this week so I get the free wireless charger with it.

For those of you that have the s6/s6 edge, any reviews? worth the purchase? regrets?

I like the s6 edge so far. It feels really nice in the hand and has some good weight to it which I prefer. Weighs about the same as my Nexus 4 and my iPhone4 before that. Much better feel compared to the iPhone5 which I found to be too light.

Battery life seems decent, it's been off the charger since yesterday morning so approaching 28 hours now and it is at 18%. Last time I charged when it hit 15% and it was fully in about 90 minutes (or thereabouts). Note: I haven't played any games at all. This is all watching videos, web, messaging, IG/FB and just a half dozen calls. Pretty light use.

Camera, well anything is better than the potato cam on the N4 but not sure it is better than iP6+ camera which is incredible in low lighting.

Overall I really like this phone, finally married Apple phone hardware build quality with good software. Best of both worlds. My only concern moving to Samsung would be the wait for updates if there is a killer new feature in future Android updates.
    ---

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by kenny
    Overall I really like this phone, finally married Apple phone hardware build quality with good software. Best of both worlds. My only concern moving to Samsung would be the wait for updates if there is a killer new feature in future Android updates.
    Since they are all locked also we would need carrier specific OS updates iirc?

Originally posted by nagooro
    For those of you that have the s6/s6 edge, any reviews? worth the purchase? regrets?
    I am very happy with with mine, so much so that I ordered a second one for personal use (current one is for work).

I've charged it only twice since Friday, but keep in mind that is fairly light use (sporadic browsing and mostly email). It charges *extremely* fast. Full charge 5%-100% in just over an hour, and even 10 or 20 minutes puts enough charge in it for a evening out or light work day. Battery saver mode can be turned on while you sleep too for even more savings. Ultra battery saving mode can get 15-20 hours out of 10-15% battery life left if you're in an emergency. Even if you can find 10-20 minutes to throw it on a charger in the day, even the heaviest users should have little to worry about with the battery. I timed a charge from 14% and after 40 minutes it was at 91%, about an hour to 100%.

The screen is amazing, and objectively the best screen on any device currently (resolution, color, etc.) It is noticeably sharper than my N5 screen when viewing very small text, but I am also extremely picky and you have to be looking for it.

I am used to looking at a calibrated monitor all day, so I actually prefer the phone in "basic" color mode, which tones down a lot of the crazy contrast and color punch that the default mode has. For games or movies though I would leave it in default mode. At least you have the option to customize that part to your liking, and it takes 2 seconds to switch.

The Camera is excellent. Compared to the iPhone 6 camera that many people are used to, it has double the resolution, optical image stabilization, and a significantly faster lens (lets in more light). It captures a noticeable amount more detail, and is better in good light no question. Low light performance is more similar, with the disadvantages higher megapixels brings to low light performance being offset by the faster lens and OIS. The front camera is 4X the resolution of the iPhone6 camera, significantly faster lens, and has a really wide lens for groups or whatever it is you want to do with it. Picture taking is instantaneous, focus is fast, and subject-tracking focus works surprisingly well for a smart phone. Face detection works very well, as does HDR mode (does a great job with difficult, high contrast scenes). The camera is actually a big reason why I wanted this phone, and the best camera is always the one you have with you (for most people that is their cell phone).

Build quality is as expected, no real surprises there. I don't like hard-buttons on phones but the home button feels very robust with good feedback, same for the volume/power buttons.

The fingerprint sensor is roughly twice as fast to read as the iPhone6 (did numerous side by side tests). It's nearly instant, and works from any angle. You can put your thumb on sideways, diagonal, or even upside down and it works right away. There is no way to save multiple fingers as far as I know, which would be handy (EDIT: Yes you can). WAY WAY better than the previous Samsung sensors which required a full swipe of the finger.

Looking forward to Samsung Pay, which will let you pay at any terminal with a magnetic strip, not just the ones that participate with tap to pay.

It is FAST. Especially on WiFi, everything is basically instant. Where I notice it most is when large amounts of data have to be loaded quick (eg. firing up the BuzzFeed app, game, or a heavy news app). Most phones are equally fast for normal tasks (typing, switching screens, etc.) but it is unquestionably the fastest phone I've experienced overall, which again, should be no real surprise.

The speaker is plenty loud, and has more "depth" to it than I am used to hearing from a cell phone speaker. It is not as good as HTC/Motorola front facing speakers (but nothing is).

I haven't actually made a call on it yet haha, so I can't comment on call quality. I'm sure it's fine just like every other phone.

I have used/owned numerous Samsung devices with Touchwiz and this is by far the lightest version. I find they got rid of a lot of the crap, and kept most of the stuff that is actually useful. You can disable most of the pre-installed apps so you never have to look at them or deal with them. It's just a few Microsoft apps, Facebook, Shazam, etc.

I didn't go for the Edge, because the screen actually rolls over the edge too, not just the glass. So, when you have text or whatever in the extreme corners, or if you're watching a movie, I personally found it annoying. It also messes with viewing angles a bit. Just purely my personal preference, but I preferred the non-edge, and it was more comfortable in my hand as well.

Base model is 32GB, which is what most people will go for. The colors of the body change drastically depending on the light, so make sure you like your color choice both in and out of direct lighting. The Sapphire Black one is black most of the time, but a purpley/steel blue as soon as you take it outside or put it under direct light. The Topaz blue is dark blue in normal light, and bright baby blue in good light/outdoors. It's extremely thin, even more so than the iPhone, but shares the camera bulge that I hate. A case will even it out, which most people will have anyway. I'd rather they just make the phone thicker with a flush or slightly recessed camera, but I'm probably in the minority on that.

There are tons of "professional" reviews out as well from the major websites, you can get a lot of info there as well but there are very few surprises with this phone. Just a really solid phone at the top of it's class in pretty well every way (not surprising as it's the newest one). Huge step up from the S4/S5. I love my N5 but it's time for a change and this is a better phone - I will miss the instant OS updates, but at least the GS6 starts with 5.0.2. Like Kenny mentioned, this isn't a big deal unless they implement a groundbreaking feature that you will have to wait a few months for, which would be annoying.

I think it's worth the $750, but this is all just my $0.02 based on my experience and the comparisons easily available to me. They are all locked to carriers as far as I know, but neither Telus nor Fido seems to mind selling them outright if you're a customer.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-15-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

There is no way to save multiple fingers as far as I know, which would be handy.
    I don't really get what you mean about this, I have both thumbs and index fingers saved on mine.
    Mercs

Originally posted by mdeleon

I don't really get what you mean about this, I have both thumbs and index fingers saved on mine.
    That's exactly what I mean by it, haha. Thanks for saying something though, I see where I can add prints now, that's awesome.

bell.ca sells theirs outright also

Oh ok, got me a lil confused.

The fingerprint sensor is definitely much better than previous. I also have the Galaxy Tab S, though it was annoying having to swipe all the time I didn't have much problems doing so. However, as soon as I upgraded to lollipop, I have to constantly swipe more than once as it doesn't recognize it the first time.

I have the edge, I like how the screen wraps around, it's different, but I don't like how it feels in the hand, makes it feel too thin. The Spigen case helps with that and the camera bulge, which also doesn't take away from the look of the phone itself. Now that I have the edge though, it really isn't worth the premium over the regular s6. On top of that, they don't make too many tempered glass screen protectors for the edge. I did find one on amazon and I'm waiting for delivery of it now, but none of the more known brands (Spigen, ZAAG, Ghost Armor) make tempered glass for the edge. Makes me question how good this one will be.
    Mercs

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I think it's worth the $750, but this is all just my $0.02 based on my experience and the comparisons easily available to me. They are all locked to carriers as far as I know, but neither Telus nor Fido seems to mind selling them outright if you're a customer.
    I called a few telus stores and they all said they werent selling them outright. Do you know any specific locations selling outright?

Originally posted by nagooro

I called a few telus stores and they all said they werent selling them outright. Do you know any specific locations selling outright?
    No, I just asked my Telus rep (corporate account though) and she said they could sell them. Maybe it's different for corporate vs regular customer.

With Fido though I'm just a regular customer and they were more than happy to sell me one. I reserved online for the free charger as well.

My Ride
    This and that.

Got mine outright from Fido as well. Liking it so far, haven't put a case on it though. Feels a little odd in hand but not too bad. Thinking of buying a clear case from the Samsung store in West Ed. The only one I've seen that I wouldn't mind as it doesn't hide the phone. Put on a screen protector already and that kills the swiping on the Edge part to make it come on a little bit. But other than no complaints.

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Got mine outright from Fido as well. Liking it so far, haven't put a case on it though. Feels a little odd in hand but not too bad. Thinking of buying a clear case from the Samsung store in West Ed. The only one I've seen that I wouldn't mind as it doesn't hide the phone. Put on a screen protector already and that kills the swiping on the Edge part to make it come on a little bit. But other than no complaints.
    If you like thin cases, I own or have seen in person all of the below cases, and they work very well:

Ringke Max (best combination of protection and being thin). Port covers work well. Also leaves the metal rim of the phone visible and it looks amazing in the case:

http://www.amazon.ca/Galaxy-S6-Case-...+max+galaxy+s6

Ringke Slim (slimmest possible case that still offers decent protection. Looks good in clear, you can't even tell there is anything on the phone at first glance. In just the right light you can catch a hint of "rainbow" effect in the clear plastic, but it's very minor):

http://www.amazon.ca/Galaxy-S6-Case-...6+slim+crystal

Ringke Fusion w/dust caps (pretty much the same as the slim, but with dust caps):

http://www.amazon.ca/Galaxy-Edge-Cas...fusion+crystal

Spigen Slim armor - Extremely well made case, but bulkier than I like. I moved to the Ringke cases.

http://www.amazon.ca/Galaxy-Spigen-C...rmor+galaxy+s6

If you got the "edge" version some of these cases are available for that too.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-16-2015 at 01:49 PM.

My Ride
    This and that.

Thanks I'll check out those cases! I am guessing wireless charging doesn't work if you have a case? On a side note what's the best setting to have in order to get the best quality videos and Pictures? I find my videos a little choppy looking on the phone after shooting them.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 04-16-2015 at 07:58 PM.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Thanks I'll check out those cases! I am guessing wireless charging doesn't work if you have a case? On a side note what's the best setting to have in order to get the best quality videos and Pictures? I find my videos a little choppy looking on the phone after shooting them.
    They should still charge in a case.
    Wireless charging worked through all my cases on my nexus 5

I'm waiting for speck to come out with there cases - i just bought a spigen case for the time being... i'm too scared to drop this phone although drop tests have been good.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast