Quantcast
2015 Golf Thread - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Golf Thread

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I wouldn't say good course management is always laying up on Par 5's, but recognizing which ones to go for in two. If you have read "Every Stroke Counts" you get to read some polarizing statistics and one of them is that amateur golfers should always go for the green in two. However, this is provided there are no OB, water hazards, etc in play. It goes on to say that non pros are not good enough to stuff it within 10 feet with a wedge in their hands every single time, so you are better off hitting it as long and straight as you can. Closer to the hole, the better the odds of making par.

Things like punching out vs going for the gap between two trees is obviously course management. But things like club selection, assessing the lie, where to miss, how will the ball come out of wet vs dry sand, and when to be aggressive or defensive are also some things you should consider. Course management can be worked on anytime, and on every shot. Think your way through a course, and plan out how you are going to hit your next shot, will greatly improve your scores.

Originally posted by npham
    I wouldn't say good course management is always laying up on Par 5's, but recognizing which ones to go for in two. If you have read "Every Stroke Counts" you get to read some polarizing statistics and one of them is that amateur golfers should always go for the green in two. However, this is provided there are no OB, water hazards, etc in play. It goes on to say that non pros are not good enough to stuff it within 10 feet with a wedge in their hands every single time, so you are better off hitting it as long and straight as you can. Closer to the hole, the better the odds of making par.

Things like punching out vs going for the gap between two trees is obviously course management. But things like club selection, assessing the lie, where to miss, how will the ball come out of wet vs dry sand, and when to be aggressive or defensive are also some things you should consider. Course management can be worked on anytime, and on every shot. Think your way through a course, and plan out how you are going to hit your next shot, will greatly improve your scores.
    This is a long more drawn out good post. I am too lazy to write something similar

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Exactly... except when you shoot 100+ the odds of scoring a 5 or 6 on a par 5 when you hit driver/6 iron/wedge are exponentially higher than hitting driver/fairway wood/??.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by 88CRX

Exactly... except when you shoot 100+ the odds of scoring a 5 or 6 on a par 5 when you hit driver/6 iron/wedge are exponentially higher than hitting driver/fairway wood/??.
    I did say the longest club you can hit straight!

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Has anyone played Apple Creek yet this season?

I've a tee time booked Saturday and curious what type of condition the course is in.

Originally posted by DJ Lazy
    Has anyone played Apple Creek yet this season?

I've a tee time booked Saturday and curious what type of condition the course is in.
    I tried to book a time for this past weekend, but it was booked solid! I may try to get on for Wednesday.

My Ride
    V8s

Played Fri-Sat-Sun this weekend (Pinebrook/Heritage Pointe/Pinebrook), great weekend for golf... Unfortunately, I didn't break 90 a single time. I shot a 47 on the front yesterday with a quad bogie on 5. Worst score on a single hole all year so far

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by cjblair
    Played Fri-Sat-Sun this weekend (Pinebrook/Heritage Pointe/Pinebrook), great weekend for golf... Unfortunately, I didn't break 90 a single time. I shot a 47 on the front yesterday with a quad bogie on 5. Worst score on a single hole all year so far
    Heritage has some amazing early season conditions. Is it still good right now? Which 9's did you play?

My Ride
    V8s

Heritage has some amazing early season conditions. Is it still good right now? Which 9's did you play?
    Played Heritage and Pointe. Conditions were awesome actually, I was blown away. Greens were about as good as the ones at Pinebrook, fairways not quite as good, but still great shape.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by cjblair

Played Heritage and Pointe. Conditions were awesome actually, I was blown away. Greens were about as good as the ones at Pinebrook, fairways not quite as good, but still great shape.
    Nice, I usually play well there for whatever reason. I played Inglewood on Friday and conditions were really really good too. The early spring rain really helped out. But I think we are going to need some rain soon, or we are going to see a lot of burnt out greens and fairways by July.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by flipstah
    Anyone looking to buy a thick-sole Mizuno irons? Complete with bag and driver.

I'll post pics later at the Marketplace but thought I'd try this thread first. I have my Ben Hogan's + Titleist driver now.

EDIT:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=392688
    Cough cough.

Originally posted by petoria
    anyone try apple creek in airdrie? new course that opened last year.pretty cheap green fees as well
    I heard Apple Creek is really nice.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by flipstah
    I heard Apple Creek is really nice.
    It's in interesting course. There are no sand traps, but the greens are very very tiny and even if you land on one softly, you are not guaranteed a GIR. There is a creek that winds through the course(probably 75% of the holes have water), so if you come up short you'll be in water hazard. It's definitely a good test of golf.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Played Silvertip on Friday (after playing Stewart Creek the week before) and its amazing but there are definitely some gimmicky holes on Silvertip.

Was hitting the ball pretty good (putting was terrible though) and managed a 98. Still waiting for that one round to have everything click and shoot an 89.

Regardless $200+ for a round of golf is ridiculous. Not to mention the $4 bottles of water and $8 beers

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Played Silvertip on Friday (after playing Stewart Creek the week before) and its amazing but there are definitely some gimmicky holes on Silvertip.

Was hitting the ball pretty good (putting was terrible though) and managed a 98. Still waiting for that one round to have everything click and shoot an 89.

Regardless $200+ for a round of golf is ridiculous. Not to mention the $4 bottles of water and $8 beers
    This is exactly why golf is a dying sport

I almost wonder when prices will start to become more manageable.

I was BS'ing with a pro shop guy on a beautiful Saturday afternoon at a course in town here and he said their tee sheet was wide open. I speculated it was because of cost and he agreed.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by lasimmon
    I almost wonder when prices will start to become more manageable.

I was BS'ing with a pro shop guy on a beautiful Saturday afternoon at a course in town here and he said their tee sheet was wide open. I speculated it was because of cost and he agreed.
    Which course? I will agree that it's been a lot easier this year to get tee times when compared to last year.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Last year I documented 16 rounds (4 were best ball) so out of the remaining 12 my average score was 102.6. If I had tracked my scores prior to that my average would have been even worse!

So far this year I've played 7 rounds (1 was best ball) and I've averaged 97 (100, 96, 98, 95, 100, 93). On top of that I've only been at the range once so far this year (whoops).

I can almost taste that 89 haha.

Feel like I'm hitting the ball good enough to get to sub 90 but holy shit I still have the odd 3 put or duffed chip shot that hurt the score card. In fact that 93 at Speargrass included back to back to back chips on one hole that didn't get on the green and I lipped out puts on 3 different occasions. Seems so easy to just drop 6 shots right there LOL.

So. Damn. Easy.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Played Inglewood yesterday and really enjoyed it. Front nine reminded me of the old-school courses in Ontario like Brantford G&CC and Hamilton. Short but tight off the tee.

Hoping to get a round in at one of the Invermere courses this weekend.

My Ride
    2017 Tacoma street queen

Played Fairmont Riverside on Saturday and was glad I tee'd off at 8am because when we got to 18 it was 30c out. Played pretty well with a 85 and no 3 putts. Course was in pretty good condition for the weather being 30 plus for over 2 weeks now.

About the prices I always bring lots of water and beer in my bag as prices are out of hand at golf courses. Even the prices for golf carts are stupid I walk unless it's hot or included in the price like speargrass.

Played Speargrass on Sunday with one of the email special tee times ($60.00 for green fees, cart, driving range, gst) and have to say for the price and condition of the course it can't be beat. I live in the SE so the drive bad at all.

Shot an 88 as well for my best round of the year. Should have been low 80's after I looked at the score card which included a 4 putt on hole 1, 2 doubles on par 3's, and a triple on a par 3.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast