Quantcast
Man alert: BIG SCREENS! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Man alert: BIG SCREENS!

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Default Man alert: BIG SCREENS!

So it's time to look at a big screen. I've been looking at some of the Toshiba cinema screens but I make the mistake of seeing a Sony Grand WEGA side by side to a rear projection.

However, after SEARCHING, I see in some older threads that bulbs burn out with projectors (Not rear projection).

300 bucks for a bulb is better than 1200 for a projection gun (rear proj have 3 guns which do die - but how often?). Do bulbs really burn out yearly?

Basically if you had around 5Gs for a big screen, would you get a WEGA or something else? And why?

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

Samsung 50" DLP projection TV. Uses latest technology and only one single bulb that you can replace. Match it up with a HDTV digital reciever and you've got TV the way its supposed to be.
    asdf

My Ride
    QX80,SL600, Utopia 205SE

I have the 42" Sony Grand Wega KF-42WE610. It is really sharp with HD and DVD's. Best picture for $ when I went looking. Slim design and lightweight.

The new Samsungs are definately worth checking out.

I like the Samsung DLP better than the Sony Grand WEGA.

Toshiba and Panasonic will be releasing DLP TVs later this year.

My Ride

So the grand Wega is a digital light processing TV (projection but with a bulb instead of guns).

I see a 50 inch Samsung DLP for 5500, and an RCA DLP for 5000, so they are the same tech as the sony I looked at.

Ok - in general, I found the rear projection has washed out colors in different parts of the screen. Guns expensive.

DLP has better colors and clarity but can't do true black.

Plasma has a really short lifespan - I don't want to buy one and find it's dead after 6 years.

Is DLP a good technology to jump on? I want to buy soon, so it has to be as things stand now more or less.

Thanks!

Khyron

What about the sony LCD tv's in 42, and 50 etc...?

Sony Grand Wega is what sony calls LCD Projection, as for pure Sony LCD tv's in the 37"+ range you're looking around 9-15 grand
    asdf

My Ride
    project empty wallet... Kouki Monster

dont go plasma... my buddy has one and one o f the pixils went out apparently if you want that fixed you have to replace the whole thing...

i recomend to cheak the warranty on the individual units, and the store warranty

My Ride

Yah plasma and LCD are pretty much dead end technologies. The LCD projection (DLP) TVs have close to plasma qualities (the bulb contains or creates plasma) and is actually cheaper to make than a current 3 gun projector.

Apparently you also don't have to worry about burned out/in pixels because its still a projection from the bulb onto the LCD screen rather than altering the LCD screen itself.

The more I read about this, the more DLP seems to be a sure bet. The current problem is there is a beta/vhs standards war going on - once that gets settled the sets will be cheaper than CRTs.

Khyron

Whatever you're getting ... get four of them and set them up in a row... in front of your bar. SOrta like Joey's at chinook. Then watch all four sports nets... or CSI, Las Vegas, Family Guy, and freshprince all at the same time! while shooting ameretto!!!

962 kid Guest

DLP is overrated, it looked good at visions when we took it home the colors didnt blend at all.... on lord of the rings the dudes beards are green!! plus its uber hard to use and after 10 days, the remote was already wearing out. We ended up getting a theatre-stylr projector for a fraction of a price, it looks wayyyy better and its 82 inches big!!

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

Oh man, Im moving into my new house, and I need a new tv, but Im torn, because in a way, I want to by the flat panel tv's.. and in a way, I wanna wait for those rollup tv's..

it'll be crazy expensive, no doubt, but its sweet..

My Ride

Originally posted by 962 kid
    DLP is overrated, it looked good at visions when we took it home the colors didnt blend at all.... on lord of the rings the dudes beards are green!! plus its uber hard to use and after 10 days, the remote was already wearing out. We ended up getting a theatre-stylr projector for a fraction of a price, it looks wayyyy better and its 82 inches big!!
    Which DLP did you buy? There are tons of color tweaking commands with hundreds of fine-tweaks that are sort of hidden ( people would wreck their picture and not know how to get it back).

Biggest I can go is 60 inch, but again the cost of rear projection is attractive. Replacing a gun is not - but how often is it done.

Khyron

962 kid Guest

Originally posted by Khyron

Which DLP did you buy? There are tons of color tweaking commands with hundreds of fine-tweaks that are sort of hidden ( people would wreck their picture and not know how to get it back).

Biggest I can go is 60 inch, but again the cost of rear projection is attractive. Replacing a gun is not - but how often is it done.

Khyron
    we got this one in the 46 inch, and yes we tried everything with the settings, we got it toned down a bit but it was still very noticable, enough for us to take it back. If you do buy it though, I believe you need to replace the bulb/gun every 4-6 thousand hours, but we were told it would cost around 500 dollars

it did sound very good though, amazing speakers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

-LCD has the best quality, it will deteriate over time, it won't start getting noticable till about 6 years into use, and after about 9 years, your LCD is gona have pretty bad quality. You can not buy replacement bulbs for these. if you wana see what the quality is at after about 4 years, go check out the older LCDs at Future shop, they have been runing all day everyday for almost 4 years now, and the quality still isn't bad.

-DLP, uses a chip with about a million mirriors on it to show the picture. second best quality, not very expensive and after about 3 years of daily viewing the bulb needs to be replaced. A replacement bulb still isn't forsale yet for most of them but will likely cost anywhere from 300 to 500 dollars.

-rear projection, they suck, you can only view them from certain angles in the room, the bulbs burn out after a couple years, the tvs are heavy, and did i mention the picture quality is usually horrible. People don't talk about changing the bulbs/lasers in these things because they don't usually burn out for a while, they just keep getting worse and worse.

So, Get a DLP!!

962 kid Guest

Originally posted by PsI
    -LCD has the best quality, it will deteriate over time, it won't start getting noticable till about 6 years into use, and after about 9 years, your LCD is gona have pretty bad quality. You can not buy replacement bulbs for these. if you wana see what the quality is at after about 4 years, go check out the older LCDs at Future shop, they have been runing all day everyday for almost 4 years now, and the quality still isn't bad.

-DLP, uses a chip with about a million mirriors on it to show the picture. second best quality, not very expensive and after about 3 years of daily viewing the bulb needs to be replaced. A replacement bulb still isn't forsale yet for most of them but will likely cost anywhere from 300 to 500 dollars.

-rear projection, they suck, you can only view them from certain angles in the room, the bulbs burn out after a couple years, the tvs are heavy, and did i mention the picture quality is usually horrible. People don't talk about changing the bulbs/lasers in these things because they don't usually burn out for a while, they just keep getting worse and worse.,

So, Get a DLP!!
    close but you're forgetting a few things

- a 46 inch inch DLP will end up being around 6 thousand, while a 40 inch LCD is about 2 thou less
    -when you get the bulb changed in the DLP, it will be out of commision for about 2 weeks
    -the DLP is better movie quality, but the biggest difference is in watching anything but HDTV or movies, the DLP will waste the LCD
    -personally, I hate samsung and will always take the sony route whenver its best, its like the whole 50 years of ferrari thing
    -the remote for the DLP absolutely sucks (they have a TV at costco with the exact same one), while I really liked the sony one
    -I think if I were you I would just cheap out and buy one that will tie you over until canada goes HDTV, because the whole letterbox 4:3 16:9 thing is really, really annoying, its so hard to find some that work together, because on about 90 percent of DVDs, you'll either end up stretching the image or the edges, or seeing black bars, which is the biggest reason for buying a 16:9 tv

I still think theatre style is the best, you can get a DLP one at costco for 1300 bucks, which can be mounted like anywhere, is ultra thin :P, can adjust from 4:3 to 16:9 and the size is adjustable as well. The only downside is that it requires a lot of cables, and a reciever and stuff, as well as a tuner or VCR. Still though, all that totaled up cost us around 2500

projector: 1300
    bose sound system: 700
    DTS reciever: 400
    new DVD player: 150
    various optical and composite cables: 100

My Ride

Originally posted by 962 kid

close but you're forgetting a few things

- a 46 inch inch DLP will end up being around 6 thousand, while a 40 inch LCD is about 2 thou less
    -when you get the bulb changed in the DLP, it will be out of commision for about 2 weeks
    -the DLP is better movie quality, but the biggest difference is in watching anything but HDTV or movies, the DLP will waste the LCD
    -personally, I hate samsung and will always take the sony route whenver its best, its like the whole 50 years of ferrari thing
    -the remote for the DLP absolutely sucks (they have a TV at costco with the exact same one), while I really liked the sony one
    -I think if I were you I would just cheap out and buy one that will tie you over until canada goes HDTV, because the whole letterbox 4:3 16:9 thing is really, really annoying, its so hard to find some that work together, because on about 90 percent of DVDs, you'll either end up stretching the image or the edges, or seeing black bars, which is the biggest reason for buying a 16:9 tv

I still think theatre style is the best, you can get a DLP one at costco for 1300 bucks, which can be mounted like anywhere, is ultra thin :P, can adjust from 4:3 to 16:9 and the size is adjustable as well. The only downside is that it requires a lot of cables, and a reciever and stuff, as well as a tuner or VCR. Still though, all that totaled up cost us around 2500

projector: 1300
    bose sound system: 700
    DTS reciever: 400
    new DVD player: 150
    various optical and composite cables: 100
    Once you go past 40 inches, the LCDs become massively expensive. DLP isn't a model, it's a type, so the remote etc depends on which brand you got. Apparently the Grand Wega is Sony's version of a Digial Light Processing TV. The average joe can replace the bulbs in a few minutes (apparently - I am just reading a lot).

So far what I'm seeing is the DLP is best, but risk that the price will drop big time in the next few years, and to make sure the picture is what you want right away or return the thing.

The black bars look ok when watching normal TV - it's when watching movies
    I could care less about the sound, as even the good ones are only like 40 watts - got a low end 6.1 system and I love it.

Khyron

962 kid Guest

Once you go past 40 inches, the LCDs become massively expensive. DLP isn't a model, it's a type, so the remote etc depends on which brand you got. Apparently the Grand Wega is Sony's version of a Digial Light Processing TV. The average joe can replace the bulbs in a few minutes (apparently - I am just reading a lot).

Khyron
    Grand Wega is not a model either. Sony has no DLP yet, and say they have no plans for production, but they said the same thing about plasma. I think you may be right about the DLP and changing the bulb, its the sony one that will be out of commission. its a rear projector LCD, not pure LCD so it has a bulb too

So far what I'm seeing is the DLP is best, but risk that the price will drop big time in the next few years, and to make sure the picture is what you want right away or return the thing.

Khyron
    yes, the price will go down a lot, especially since other companies are starting to catch on

The black bars look ok when watching normal TV - it's when watching movies
    I could care less about the sound, as even the good ones are only like 40 watts - got a low end 6.1 system and I love it.

Khyron
    yes the black bars are ok on 4:3, but the whole reason for them is so that the film does not need to be changed from its original 16:9 format. With most movies, there will still be black bars, which totally defeats the purpose, and the only way around this is to stretch the image.

If you're that sold on DLP, check out the new Toshiba one, its supposed to be way better than the samsung

TOSHIBA POWER

and ps, wana give me your old tv?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast