Quantcast
Distracted Driving Ticket - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Distracted Driving Ticket

My Ride
    06 F-150

Default Distracted Driving Ticket

I bought a new vehicle the other day. My girlfriend took me to get it, and then she followed me home afterwards. So were cruising down Macleod and I notice a cop in an unmarked truck. I was thinking I should warn her to get off her phone (she's famous for it) and then all of a sudden I see the red and blue lights and they got her.

I am not saying she should be on her phone and I don't disagree with the ticket. I pulled over a block ahead and texted her saying "haha, they got ya for distracted didn't they?" and I also a comment about the cop being bald..and some other nasty shit. Anyways..I ask her later on if she seen my texts and she said no. The cop actually took her phone right away after pulling her over and was reading her texts as I sent them. So he got the texts from me about him being bald and whatnot. Ha.

Anyways, was it legal for him to take the phone? He seen that she made a text 8 minutes ago but there was no proof she was using the phone. She claims she just had it sitting on the seat and a notification made the screen glow.

Anywho..mostly just wondering if he was allowed to take the phone like that without a search warrant. Seems not right to me. Also thought you guys may get a kick out of me talking shit about the cop and him reading it.

My Ride
    Ford

password. problem solved
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

i think if it's unlocked, they can go through it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by blairtruck
    password. problem solved
    But that makes it harder for her to text while she's driving

Default Re: Distracted Driving Ticket

Originally posted by chathamf
    I bought a new vehicle the other day. My girlfriend took me to get it, and then she followed me home afterwards. So were cruising down Macleod and I notice a cop in an unmarked truck. I was thinking I should warn her to get off her phone (she's famous for it) and then all of a sudden I see the red and blue lights and they got her.

I am not saying she should be on her phone and I don't disagree with the ticket. I pulled over a block ahead and texted her saying "haha, they got ya for distracted didn't they?" and I also a comment about the cop being bald..and some other nasty shit. Anyways..I ask her later on if she seen my texts and she said no. The cop actually took her phone right away after pulling her over and was reading her texts as I sent them. So he got the texts from me about him being bald and whatnot. Ha.

Anyways, was it legal for him to take the phone? He seen that she made a text 8 minutes ago but there was no proof she was using the phone. She claims she just had it sitting on the seat and a notification made the screen glow.

Anywho..mostly just wondering if he was allowed to take the phone like that without a search warrant. Seems not right to me. Also thought you guys may get a kick out of me talking shit about the cop and him reading it.
    ticket you both, yes

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I got pulled over for speeding by a county mountie right after the distracted driving legislation came into force. My phone was sitting on my passenger seat and she was going to give me a ticket for distracted driving plus the speeding.

I lost my shit on her saying she had no proof I was using the phone as I drove and she dropped the conversation.

Although I do hear that you have to be off the roadway with the ignition off to be legal to use a device while your in the drivers seat... ??
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I think they can in BC, but I didn't think they could in Alberta?

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    Although I do hear that you have to be off the roadway with the ignition off to be legal to use a device while your in the drivers seat... ??
    I don't know about all that, but there was a cop being interviewed on the news as well as a news story where a guy was ticketed for pulling over onto the shoulder to make a call. So I guess that part (about not being on a roadway) is true, and it includes the SIDE of the road, apparently.

I have no issues with a distracted driving law, but like any law, it should be applied within reason.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

I like the fact that dd is going to be a 250.00 fine plus 3 demerits.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

They should issue a ticket and take your right nut for dating someone so ignorant as to use a phone while driving. The left one will be taken with a spoon on a second violation. I know of two idiots who have been in serious accidents due to using a cellphone while driving. Just a matter of time before she is the cause of an accident.

My Ride
    Silverado

What about stopped at a light?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I think they can in BC, but I didn't think they could in Alberta?

I don't know about all that, but there was a cop being interviewed on the news as well as a news story where a guy was ticketed for pulling over onto the shoulder to make a call. So I guess that part (about not being on a roadway) is true, and it includes the SIDE of the road, apparently.

I have no issues with a distracted driving law, but like any law, it should be applied within reason.
    The police give conflicting info about this it seems. One says one thing, another says something different. An RCMP officer called into one of the radio stations in Red Deer back in 2012. I was on my way home from work and was listening when he came on. He said... you can do anything you want while you drive as long as it doesn't distract you. The reason he called in was because earlier that day, other people had called in about specific situations that they wanted answers to. When the RC couldn't answer them, he just gave a vague answer.

As far as being legal when making a call, texting, etc... I found this....

Under what conditions can I make a phone call?

To be compliant, drivers may only engage in the restricted activities when they are not driving on a highway or when the vehicle is legally parked.
    A highway refers to any street, road, parking lot, or alley, etc, where the public is normally permitted to drive, including adjacent sidewalks and ditches.
    Can I park on the shoulder of a highway to make a call?

On provincial highways, outside of an urban area, section 43 of the Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation applies and vehicles are not permitted to park on the shoulder of a provincial highway except in an emergency. This is also for safety. If you have to make a phone call, do so at a rest area, or when you stop for gas or for a bathroom break. Alternately, have your passenger make the call.
    Provincial highways are typically numbered roadways (e.g., Highway 2), but they may also be known by other names (e.g., Queen Elizabeth II or the Trans-Canada Highway).
    Municipal parking bylaws vary from place to place. You will need to consider the parking bylaws for that area before pulling over.
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...teddriving.htm
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Can I send a text message or comb my hair when I am stopped at a red light?

No. You cannot engage in distracting activities when stopped at a red light, delayed in traffic or waiting for a train. You are still driving and engaged in a traffic situation. To be compliant with the law drivers need to be legally parked before engaging in the restricted activities.
    From the link posted above.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Silverado

No I meant is it stupid to do so?

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    This just happened to me last week, on McLeod and Southland. It's a long light and I was 2 cars back from the red, and JUST turned. It's a LONG light. So I take my phone out of the cradle...and start browsing. I get that "being watched" feeling and slowly turn my head left and I see a young cop just GLARING at me I kinda laughed...slowly put my phone down, then looked back with a big smile and showed my hands! He didn't smile.

Light turns green...he follows me and gets right in behind me, and flicks the lights. I pull right off the road onto grass (beside Tower Chrysler) and get everything out. License, Reg, Insurance in hand ready for him.

He walks up to my window as I'm rolling it down and removing my sunglass. He asks if I'm working (Sunday)
    "yes, I'm just coming home"
    "Ever been arrested?" I pause, think... "Uhh...no"
    "NEVER?".
    "Oh...yes I have, over 30 years ago"
    "Well thats what I asked!!!"
    *chuckle* "I forgot about that one" I said.
    "What about a ticket? When was the last one"
    "About two years ago"
    "Okay, I'll be right back". He takes his time, runs everything, then I see him get out with just my papers in hand....*gasp* Nothing?
    "You already GOT a ticket for your phone!!" he says, laughing.
    "Yes I did...that was two years ago"
    "Well you have to stop...you might not get someone as nice as me. Since you're working on a Sunday, I'll give you a break"

WooHoo!!!!

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

But that makes it harder for her to text while she's driving
    i have my password set for 5 mins. so if im doing some things. it dont lock. but once put in pocket and start to drive it will be pass coded by the time i get where im going or if a cop pulls me over.
    Street Tune

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by blairtruck
    password. problem solved
    She had one and the cop made her put the password in. He then took the phone and went back to his car for 15 minutes with it.

My Ride
    Ford

She had one and the cop made her put the password in. He then took the phone and went back to his car for 15 minutes with it.
    Fuck that. As if he wasn't going thru pics. And reading past texts that don't matter to him.
    Street Tune

Hmmmm, I'm interested to see what some if the experts say about that. If it was me? I'd probably politely refuse to unlock my phone, see what the officers next move would be.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Hmmmm, I'm interested to see what some if the experts say about that. If it was me? I'd probably politely refuse to unlock my phone, see what the officers next move would be.
    This
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

How much effort are you willing to put into fighting this?

I'm confident that you could get everything the cop got from the phone tossed and have a decent chance of having the whole thing tossed.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast