Quantcast
Weird transaction in my chequing acct - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Weird transaction in my chequing acct

Default Weird transaction in my chequing acct

So I had some money deposited into my account outta the blue, (amount is irrelevant) and the transaction description read RBCDS BLOCKED MTG just like that. Now I'm assuming, RBCDS would be Royal Bank Canada Dominion Securities? I have no products with them and never have, my bank told me that they'd investigate and it could take a few weeks but I thought I'd ask around in the meantime since this is really baffling. Obviously not gonna keep/spend that money until I know where it came from. Any idea what may have happened here?

Default Re: Weird transaction in my chequing acct

do you have a mortgage with them?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 12:22 AM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

As soon as you buy a house, you start getting random deposits on a regular basis. It's a secret thing that helps us stay a step above renters. Welcome to the club!

Originally posted by blitz
    As soon as you buy a house, you start getting random deposits on a regular basis. It's a secret thing that helps us stay a step above renters. Welcome to the club!

That is funny stuff.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Weird transaction in my chequing acct

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    So I had some money deposited into my account outta the blue, (amount is irrelevant) and the transaction description read RBCDS BLOCKED MTG just like that. Now I'm assuming, RBCDS would be Royal Bank Canada Dominion Securities? I have no products with them and never have, my bank told me that they'd investigate and it could take a few weeks but I thought I'd ask around in the meantime since this is really baffling. Obviously not gonna keep/spend that money until I know where it came from. Any idea what may have happened here?
    Someone may have provided incorrect banking information.

Happened to me once. Got a $2,100 deposit one day out of the blue from a label I didn't recognize. Called the bank. Two weeks later they figured it out and wanted the money back. No biggie since I didn't spend it.

What happens if you spent the 2100$ without knowing (it could happen) and they request it back?

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Then you have to give a different $2100 back.

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    What happens if you spent the 2100$ without knowing (it could happen) and they request it back?
    You give them this look

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by blitz
    Sweet! I always knew there had to be some Stonecutter-like perks to home ownership...

I always wondered if they could convert that bill counting machine that spits out money, into a machine that prints - and spits out money.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    money transfers are not paypal. The bank can't just go into your account and take your money. They ask for it back but you could be a dick and say no, then the person would have to report you to the police / sue you etc. It can be a real gong show and they might never see the money returned. This is primarily the reason that when you do a wire transfer there is so much information collected for error checking and with EMT which is easier there are limits.

Aye, fair enough

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by BigMass
    money transfers are not paypal. The bank can't just go into your account and take your money. They ask for it back but you could be a dick and say no, then the person would have to report you to the police / sue you etc. It can be a real gong show and they might never see the money returned. This is primarily the reason that when you do a wire transfer there is so much information collected for error checking and with EMT which is easier there are limits.
    They can't? Try and stop them. You going to stand between them and every single computer screen in the world to prevent them from just logging into your account and removing the money? By the time you start to object, it's looooong over. Plus I'm dead certain there's terms to cover exactly this happening in your TOS that you signed when you opened the bank account.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

haha of course the bank can take money back that was improperly put into your bank account.