Quantcast
Rear lane alley paving, anyone been successful lately? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear lane alley paving, anyone been successful lately?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Rear lane alley paving, anyone been successful lately?

Anyone been successful on getting their existing gravel rear lane paved recently?

I know there was a couple people a few year back discussing it on here but I'm looking for anything recently with real costs per meter of rear property line.

My Ride
    2017 Tacoma street queen

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

I moved into a house that had the rear lane paved a few summers ago. From what I understand, somebody who motivated to get it done, had a petition made up, and got all of the neighbors to sign it. Not sure for how many years, but we each get a bill for $126 on our property tax per year towards it
    Honda/Acura guy

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I've read that. Just wondering what actual costs people might have received for a specific width of land and width of PL frontage.

There were news articles a couple years back that from the time the petition (and estimate) was completed to actual construction time the costs were jumping up ridiculous amounts.

My Ride
    Ford

ive seen on the Calgary 311 app of plenty of muddy lanes/ rutted garbage to drive in. i have never seen a back lane in Edmonton that is not paved.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    2001 Infiniti QX4

88CRX-

Had this done two years ago in my community:

Annual rate, $24.94/meter. Payable for 14 years or lump sum.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Bump!

Finally got the City to allow me to solicit signatures which I'm starting on tonight.

Cost for 8m wide lane works out to be $3050 total or $22/month for 15 years on property tax bill (monthly includes interest cost). This is for a narrow 7.70m wide property. This is all based on 2015 construction costs.

I hope people want it done

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So glad my back alley is paved, especially in the winter it helps it not turn into a muddy mess like my last place. It may be a hard sell to neighbors (because they'll be cheap and not want to pay) but its totally worth it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ball up and pay for neighbors as well. Sheet, pay for the whole danged block.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TDi

I'd like to do this, but there some neighbours that would probably cheap out so I will let someone else try it first
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Bump!

Finally got the City to allow me to solicit signatures which I'm starting on tonight.

Cost for 8m wide lane works out to be $3050 total or $22/month for 15 years on property tax bill (monthly includes interest cost). This is for a narrow 7.70m wide property. This is all based on 2015 construction costs.

I hope people want it done
    So everyone on the same block has to sign or no go? $533/year, I would do it but it really depends on the house value of the area. If you are paying $2K tax per year, that's a 25% tax hike.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-09-2015 at 04:49 PM.

My Ride
    2003 Rsx Type S WHITE, Ninja zx250r

how does it work?

so if some of the neighbours don't want to do it, you can't force them to? so whoever wants it done spilts the cost?? I imagine it like a property line fence.....
    please don't flame me, or i'll have to learn how to use the ban button

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You need 2/3 of the affected owners signatures, and those homes must combine to over 50% of total assessed value of all affected owners. If there is an owner with multiple properties, it can only be counted as 1 vote, and the highest assessment that owner owns counts towards the sum of assessed value. I have no clue how that would work if one guy owns the entire block...

Anyways, once that's signed off, everyone is forced to pay either the lump sum or on top of their property tax. I've heard stories of people wanting it done so bad that they pay for part/all of the share of friendly neighbors that don't want to sign because they can't afford the additional cost when it's short by 1 or 2 signatures. It's a great way to piss off your neighbors that don't want it done.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by rage2

Anyways, once that's signed off, everyone is forced to pay either the lump sum or on top of their property tax.
    Sadly no. Once the initial petition is signed, the city then (eventually) send out the cost estimate. Then anyone who doesn't want it done can petition to stop it. Which is exactly what happened in our case.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Sadly no. Once the initial petition is signed, the city then (eventually) send out the cost estimate. Then anyone who doesn't want it done can petition to stop it. Which is exactly what happened in our case.
    If this happens I'll be pissed. Hah.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

You need 2/3 of the affected owners signatures, and those homes must combine to over 50% of total assessed value of all affected owners. If there is an owner with multiple properties, it can only be counted as 1 vote, and the highest assessment that owner owns counts towards the sum of assessed value. I have no clue how that would work if one guy owns the entire block...

Anyways, once that's signed off, everyone is forced to pay either the lump sum or on top of their property tax. I've heard stories of people wanting it done so bad that they pay for part/all of the share of friendly neighbors that don't want to sign because they can't afford the additional cost when it's short by 1 or 2 signatures. It's a great way to piss off your neighbors that don't want it done.
    I'm going to my friendly neighbours last. If it's not looking good I'll kill the whole thing and not even ask them.

My Ride

Originally posted by 88CRX

If this happens I'll be pissed. Hah.
    The worst part was my own inlaws were the last vote needed to cancel, and they signed. I'll never forgive them for that

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You're telling me that 1 person can stop the project? That wasn't the case before. What's the point of having 2/3 vote then?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

You're telling me that 1 person can stop the project? That wasn't the case before. What's the point of having 2/3 vote then?
    No no, the vote to cancel won by one single vote. Which I attribute to my in-laws, because they were planning on moving anyways.

The petition to get it done was signed by over 85% of the homeowners, and after the costs came out, the 2nd petition was signed by 70.5%. I believe 70% was required.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

The worst part was my own inlaws were the last vote needed to cancel, and they signed. I'll never forgive them for that
    You lived on the same block as your in-laws?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast