Quantcast
1st Time Buying - Lawn Mower & BBQ - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Buying - Lawn Mower & BBQ

My Ride
    '12 G37x Sedan

Default 1st Time Buying - Lawn Mower & BBQ

Hello,

With warmer weather approaching and the need to get lawn work done and start grilling outdoors, I've been looking online at options and trying to decide what's better.

If you could provide any suggestions, such as brands or locations to purchase that'd be great.

Lawn Mower: I'm debating between a gas powered or cordless model. If I were to go with a gas powered model I'd probably look at Toro or Craftsman brands and if it's a cordless model probably a Ryobi 40v brushless mower.

My lawn isn't extremely huge, but I'd personally like to use my lawn mower to dethatch the grass before laying down any fertilizer. I feel that gas would be the best way to go for this due to more power...maybe a cordless can match that power.

BBQ: I have a natural gas connection coming outside therefore I'm looking at that route. I've heard that it's best to buy a quality brand such as Weber, Napoleon and Broil King. I'm guessing BBQ's Galore is the go to spot due to a larger inventory.

Thanks for your help.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

For the lawn mower, if you have a smaller lawn, go with one that isn't self propelled. Its a little more energy and exercise. If your lazy, then go for self propelled. When I was looking for a mower, I wanted to make sure mine had a Honda motor for longevity but the new Briggs & Stratton aren't bad either. Its personal preference.

But for sure go for gas. More power. I ended up going with a Poulan Pro unit from Costco with a Honda motor.

For the BBQ, the the three brands you have listed are good choices. Try finding models that are built in USA/Canada vs ones from China. BBQ Galore is a great place but you can also pick up some great deals from the big box stores if you search.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 03-18-2015 at 10:11 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Self-propelled mowers also have more parts that can break and are usually more expensive. That being said, hills with these are great.

Also, unless you plan to do it weekly, go with a gas mower. I find the electric ones bog down if the grass gets too high in between cuts.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Grimace

Gas power for sure. I have a craftsman with a briggs motor but I think I would try and look for a honda motor next time but no issues after 5 years.

I agree with djrice on the bbq, look for something north american. The cheap ones will rust out in no time, even the costco ones I saw were all made in china. I ended up getting a broil king. Has been great for many years now. They generally go on sale in spring time so I think I got about 25% off and it has no rust or anything even though it is stored outside.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have a very small lawn, and I am very happy with my corded electric model. The cord is a little bit of a hassle, but honestly, I like that I never run out of batteries, I like how light it is, and I like that it's one less thing to maintain. Have had it for maybe eight years, no issues.
    It'll handle taller grass too if I forget for a couple of weeks. Yeah, it can get a little bogged down, but I've had that issue with gas mowers as well. Take a smaller "bite" if it's that long. No big deal.

This is probably the year I replace my gas grill too. Current one is a "fiesta" brand, and I've had it 11 years. I have had so many people recommend Webber, that's probably how I'll go.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Pfft, I've gone a month without cutting and my cordless dealt with it like a champ. Only issue is cutting within a day of it raining.

Cordless self-propelled. The king of lazy lawnmowers for lazy homeowners.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Mibz
    Pfft, I've gone a month without cutting and my cordless dealt with it like a champ. Only issue is cutting within a day of it raining.

Cordless self-propelled. The king of lazy lawnmowers for lazy homeowners.
    Why don't you just get one of those roomba type lawnmowers you lazy guy!

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Believe it or not Costco usually has a good deal on lawn mowers

I have a self propelled gas one with a Briggs engine. Couldn't be happier with it
    Do your oil change once a year, sharpen your blade once in a while and you'll never have a problem.

Originally posted by schocker
    Too lazy to make enough money to justify spending $1,000 on a lawnmower.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

They make those?!? Uh oh....
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Gas mower, cordless trimmer.

Napoleon BBQ. High sides protect food from wind, their lids are designed so that you don't need much clearance behind the unit, they still use good steel and you can get units that spit out as much heat as a charcoal grill.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Too lazy to make enough money to justify spending $1,000 on a lawnmower.
    Just need some rope with your self propelled mower

---

My Ride
    Nothing

I didn't think a roomba lawnmower actually existed, but it does

http://robomow.com/en-CA/
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

we have a manual mower, went from a gas sears mower to that a couple years ago. Paid $60 on kijiji, love it.

we are on 7 years with our "centro" from candian tire i think, bbq. You can buy the weber or bk or napolean, but unless your hardcore into bbq, or plan on using almost daily there really is no need to spend over $1000 on a grill IMO. I charcoal 9 time out of 10 anyways, and my bbq is used to do skewers or stuff at like 400 degrees.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by theken
    we have a manual mower, went from a gas sears mower to that a couple years ago. Paid $60 on kijiji, love it.

we are on 7 years with our "centro" from candian tire i think, bbq. You can buy the weber or bk or napolean, but unless your hardcore into bbq, or plan on using almost daily there really is no need to spend over $1000 on a grill IMO. I charcoal 9 time out of 10 anyways, and my bbq is used to do skewers or stuff at like 400 degrees.

I had a Centro one when I had lived in my condo. It was WAY too massive for my balcony but I scored a deal on it since it was a price error. $800 BBQ for $350 so I couldn't pass it up. It was a 4 burner, with side burner and a rostisserie burner as well. Ended up leaving it behind at the condo for my sister to use since it was too big and heavy to dis-assemble but there are plenty of BBQ options way under $1000. Even under $600 you can get something decent like a Broil King Baron series. I myself, still waiting for a good deal on a BBQ. 3 burners and a side burner is enough for me.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

I vastly prefer charcoal myself - the units themselves are cheap, you can blast to 900 but also smoke.

But he wants to use his pipe.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I think bbq all depends on size he wants, and if he is going to bbq galore for a grill, they have some small ones but at around 5-600 your getting a fairly small grill. I am in the market this year, looking at the komodo style grills, specifically the egg, or the keg.

My Ride
    '12 G37x Sedan

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'll consider all the options and tips you've mentioned for the the lawn mower and bbq.

As for the bbq if I were not to use my natural gas connection then I'd probably be looking at a charcoal option. I did notice CT had a coleman brand that is one side charcoal and the other natural gas, which sounds and looks good...but as to the reliability and if that design actually works is the main concern.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by HR-ZD403
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'll consider all the options and tips you've mentioned for the the lawn mower and bbq.

As for the bbq if I were not to use my natural gas connection then I'd probably be looking at a charcoal option. I did notice CT had a coleman brand that is one side charcoal and the other natural gas, which sounds and looks good...but as to the reliability and if that design actually works is the main concern.
    I would typically stay away from CT for any of their BBQs. I have something small like this for now:
    http://www.broilkingbbq.com/2015/gri...model_id=98655
    I think I paid about $300 and the nat. gas is about $50 more. Decent starter BBQ and then I can get something bigger down the road. For BBQ covers, costco has a great one for about $20 also.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Gas for the mower if you're using a dethatcher.

BBQ isn't an easy answer. It really depends on how you use it. If you do nothing but cook hotdogs or pre-made frozen burgers, get a cheap one. If you require good temperature control and use it a lot, definitely step up to one of the better brands you mentioned.
    Vettel's #1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast