Quantcast
Diet Pop = Satan - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Diet Pop = Satan

Default Diet Pop = Satan

I was reading the following article and thought I might post it here for those who are interested.

Older adults who drink diet soda may experience greater increases in their waist size over a decade than those who do not drink diet soda, according to a new study.
    Researchers found that the average increase in waist circumference among the people in the study who drank diet soda daily was more than triple that of the people who did not drink diet soda. Among the people who drank diet soda only occasionally, the increase was more than double that of those who did not drink diet soda.
    "The more people drank diet sodas, the more their waistlines expanded," said study author Sharon Fowler, a researcher at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
    Over the nine-year study, the waist size of the people who didn't drink any soda increased by an average of 0.8 inches. The average increase was 1.83 inches among those who drank diet soda occasionally, and 3.16 inches among those who drank it daily, according to the study.
    In the study, the researchers followed a total of 749 Mexican Americans and European Americans who were 65 or older when the study started. The researchers asked them about their diet soda intake, and measured their waist circumference, height and weight when the study began, and at three follow-up points during the study period.
    Increased belly fat, which is usually what causes increased waist circumference, may raise people's risk of cardiovascular disease and other health issues because it increases inflammation, Fowler said.
    The new study adds to a growing body of research on the potentially harmful effects of diet soda on human health. In a study presented in 2011 at the American Stroke Association's International Stroke Conference in Los Angeles, researchers found that people who drink diet soda every day may have an increased risk of stroke and heart attack. In another study, published in 2012 in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, investigators also found a link between daily diet soda consumption and stroke, heart attack and death from these two conditions.
    Moreover, the authors of a study presented at the American Academy of Neurology's annual meeting in San Diego in 2013 found a link between drinking diet soda daily and an increased risk of depression.
    In the new study, the researchers said that it is not clear exactly why drinking diet soda may be linked to an increase in waist circumference. But it may have something to do with the sweeteners used in diet soda, and the way they may affect food-intake regulation, Fowler said.
    For instance, in a study of mice that were exposed in utero to high levels of one such sweetener, aspartame, researchers found that the sweetener caused lesions in the brain region that normally receives the so-called "quit-eating" signal, Fowler said. As a result, the mice had more abdominal fat when they grew up, she said. Sweeteners used in diet sodas may have a similar effect in people, although more research is needed to see whether this is the case.
    Fowler suggested that people use strategies to reduce or quit drinking diet soda, considering its potential negative effects on health.
    "The more people can try to duplicate some of the things they love about diet sodas with something else that is really a whole food, the better," Fowler told Live Science.
    For instance, if someone likes the sweetness of diet soda, eating some sweet fruit and chasing it with regular or sparkling water may be a good substitute, Fowler said. Or, for diet-soda drinkers who appreciate the caffeine, then replacing diet soda with coffee or tea could work, she added.
    The new study was published today (March 17) in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

where is diet hamburger for fat

thales, you are fat i think? you are hater.

you where size 36 pants

call me skinny nerd, i am ok. they called me duck man, haha

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I think that there's more variables that need to be assessed outside of diet pop consumption on its own.

I know a few people that drink diet pop but don't regulate any other part of their diet. Diet pop is not a replacement for a well balanced diet. So, you eliminate the calories associated with the beverage but still over consume from other sources.

If you eat a 500 caloric surplus daily, you'll gain 1 lb per week. If you reduce that to, say, 250 calories (by replacing regular pop with diet) you'll still gain 1 lb... just over two weeks instead of one.

The problem I have with Aspartame is its composition. It is mostly phenylalanine which plays an important role in neurotransmitter regulation. Aspartame breaks down into a number of toxic chemicals.

People have to remember that it was Donald Rumsfeld who was the force in getting Aspartame approved in the first place.

My Ride
    V8s

What a joke.

What if all the people that drank diet soda, were drinking it while because their fat asses received it as part of a combo meal at McDonalds, and the people who didn't drink diet soda were doing so because they never go to McDonalds? It would then seem to me that the weight gain was due to McD's and not diet soda.

Statistics are a joke if you look at them in a vacuum, as was done (more or less) in the OP of this thread.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

It's all about the pH guys. Diet soda is still acidic even if there are no calories. Your body likes to be around a pH of ~7.

If I drink pop, I'd rather go for the real deal and get semi-real sugar. Not the Aspartame.... gross taste, all the bad and none of the good flavour.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus
    The problem I have with Aspartame is its composition.
    True that. Aspartame is the devil. Diet pop is just Satan's vehicle.

thinking about it though... was Diet pop's origional intention to provide a low sugar/carb alternative?

I think they didn't even understand how Sugar was metabolized and stored into fats, back in the 80's with the introduction of diet drinks...

I reckon the reason why Diet pop exists, is as a sugar free alternative for Diebetics

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Diet pop is not the same as a fictitious character.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    It's all about the pH guys. Diet soda is still acidic even if there are no calories. Your body likes to be around a pH of ~7.

So much junk science.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/alkali...text-1.2510523

Man dear god the science fail is so epic.

Your stomach is order of magnitude more acidic than anything you will ever eat and you mean to imply to us that somehow the food you eat will magically increase your blood pH?
    Last edited by mazdavirgin; 03-23-2015 at 10:50 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

So much junk science.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/alkali...text-1.2510523

Man dear god the science fail is so epic.

Your stomach is order of magnitude more acidic than anything you will ever eat and you mean to imply to us that somehow the food you eat will magically increase your blood pH?
    I will definitely say that the research in this area is inconsistent at best for sure. That video was probably not the best example either.

But I remember when I was growing up, there were doctors I saw that told me diet soda isn't good for you and used the acidity of it as an example. In laments terms, he said something like drinking it causes your body to work harder to be normal. Wonder if that's BS, hmm.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The acidity is pretty bad for your teeth so maybe that is the general doctor reference.

Pop is one of those things everyone knows is bad for you, like alcohol. I just don't care.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by Disoblige

I will definitely say that the research in this area is inconsistent at best for sure. That video was probably not the best example either.

But I remember when I was growing up, there were doctors I saw that told me diet soda isn't good for you and used the acidity of it as an example. In laments terms, he said something like drinking it causes your body to work harder to be normal. Wonder if that's BS, hmm.
    It's not great for your teeth just like orange juice is bad for your teeth but the body working harder stuff is junk science. Acidic drinks soften your tooth enamel but they don't do much else frankly...

Gabe Mirkin, M.D., an expert on health, nutrition, and sports medicine, says: "If you hear someone say that your body is too acidic and you should use their product to make it more alkaline, you would be wise not to believe anything else the person tells you." He goes on to say:

Anyone who tells you that certain foods or supplements make your stomach or blood acidic does not understand nutrition.

You should not believe that it matters whether foods are acidic or alkaline, because no foods change the acidity of anything in your body except your urine. Your stomach is so acidic that no food can change its acidity. Citrus fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream. An entire bottle of calcium pills or antacids would not change the acidity of your stomach for more than a few minutes.

All foods that leave your stomach are acidic. Then they enter your intestines where secretions from your pancreas neutralize the stomach acids. So no matter what you eat, the food in the stomach is acidic and the food in the intestines is alkaline.

You cannot change the acidity of any part of your body except your urine. Your bloodstream and organs control acidity in a very narrow range. Anything that changed acidity in your body would make you very sick and could even kill you. (Mirkin 2003)

Originally posted by mr2mike
    If I drink pop, I'd rather go for the real deal and get semi-real sugar. Not the Aspartame.... gross taste, all the bad and none of the good flavour.
    If you see a yellow cap on a pop bottle it usually means that is is made with glucose instead of fructose. While large sums of sugar are not good for you, at least your body knows what to do with glucose.

Gatorade is made with glucose, Powerade with fructose.

p.s. Mexican pop, or kosher pop, will have the yellow cap.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Way too many opinions, nowhere near enough facts on this subject. Diet pop may cause problems, it also may not. I can 100% guarantee you that some research suggests that something may happen to you at some point.

I drink Diet Dr Pepper sometimes.

Good for cravings.

Thales, my waist has gotten smaller and my abs are showing.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Pop is terrible for you either way.