Quantcast
Does anyone here work for Telus - new cable cutomer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here work for Telus - new cable cutomer

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

Default Does anyone here work for Telus - new cable cutomer

I am going to switch from Shaw to Telus - they are ready to run fiber optic in my neighborhood.

I'd like to get a deal and sign up with someone on the inside if possible.

PM me please.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

PM spikerS
    He'll get you a referral

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Don't do it.

Shaw is definitely lesser of two evils.

I disagree with snowcat. I saved over $700 switching from shaw over the 3 year term. Service was friendlier and more helpful in-person and over the phone. I own my shaw equipment and rent the telus tv/internet gear fyi

I had Telus in my old place under contract, but in my new house now the area does not have Telus service yet.... so I went with Shaw for the time being.

The Telus agent on the phone has been extremely helpful and keeps on top of my account activity to make sure I don't get charged a cancellation fee... I intend to switch back to Telus once they get service in the area. Their customer service is always excellent I find and almost never have to wait on hold when I call.

Service wise I do feel I get better service and attention from Telus. The Shaw installer did an OK job but was not as friendly as I'm used to Telus guys being and the Shaw installer did not terminate the coax cables properly.. he dragged mud into the house too which I was not terribly upset at since it was move-in day anyway.

TV service is the same for both Telus and Shaw I think, and now Telus might be offering Netflix through their box as opposed to going through the Smart TV Apps... Telus also has CraveTV which is good - the only drawback is that the interface for Crave TV is not as good as Shomi by Shaw.

Internet speed is pretty good with Shaw ( I have Internet 30) but it is pricier than Telus for no benefit really.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Yah, I would disagree with Snowcat. That's old thinking. Telus customer service used to suck a lot, and Shaw was really good...but seems like they switched spots.

I used to be a Shaw customer, then Telus, then Shaw and now again telus for last 5 years, no plans of switching. The few times I had to call telus they were on the ball. My buddy used to work on the infrastructure side at Telus and he said they got some new management and that management made customer service one of their top priorities, and it paid off it seems. I used to hate telus as well (one of the reasons I switched back to Shaw) but really like their fiberoptic internet and optik tv setup so been a happy camper.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I will never do business with Shaw again.
    Telus is much much better.

The services Shaw provides aren't great. I had to use them for my dorm, then when I went to cancel my services (moving out) they constantly harassed me with phone calls everyday. Even after I told them the reasoning was that I was moving out and didn't need services to where I was moving.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

I'm trying to decide if I should switch from Shaw to Telus. Right now, I have a grandfathered plan with Shaw, where I get pretty much every channel, even the new ones, except the pay for services like HBO and the Movie channels, which I wouldn't use anyways. But it's $90/month just for the plan. It's good, because I have a lot of choice, but I'd like to cut my expenses if at all possible. Right now, with phone, internet and cable, I get a $15 Loyalty bonus on my bill, and I'm paying $165/month. I haven't had any major problems with Shaw, never any major downtime, and the quality is good, but if I can save some cash, well, I'm all for that.

I went over to the Telus website, and I'd have to lose a few channels that I get now, but I could pay pretty much the same as I'm paying now, after the first year of the contract, but for the first year, I'd save $80/month.

Right now, I am actually using one of my cable outlets to feed cable to my mother-in-law, on the other side of our duplex. So, I have a stupid question, and it's an easy answer. She's used to things like CBC being channel 6, Global being channel 7, City being 8, etc. Are the channel layouts the same on Telus, or is it different, like CBC being on channel 100 or whatever it is. My wife, also, doesn't want to lose our Shaw email address, as we've had it over 15 years, but I'd try to convince her to change if the changeover would be worth it.

Let me know please, on those channel layouts and savings.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Can't remember if the channels are the same. But it looks like it all boils down if you are willing to pay $80 a month to keep an email address.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

no, channel numbers are different. The TELUS channels don't start really until channel 100
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

Okay, thanks SpikerS. I'll start talking, and see if maybe we can save some cash.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I highly suggest you just get a gmail email so you aren't tied to an ISP for something as simple as an email address.

TELUS Optik channel guide for Calgary (PDF format):

telus.com/common/cms/files/tv/pdf/TELUS_TV_channel_guide.pdf

My Ride

Originally posted by pheoxs
    I highly suggest you just get a gmail email so you aren't tied to an ISP for something as simple as an email address.
    I've already signed her up for a gmail address, would love for her to use it more often, but she has so much mail everyday coming from family and friends, that would have to make the switch. I don't even use the email anymore, I use my own gmail address on my phone or tablet. I'll talk to her, and see if I can convince her to switch. I can save $70, not $80 for a year, and then, I pay what I pay now.

Another question. I would sign up for the 3 year deal with the free digital boxes. After the 3 years, do I have to pay for rental of the boxes, or is the rental still free? Because that would be a deciding factor as well.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

rent them anyways, if anything goes wrong, they just get replaced, and you can always get them to upgrade you when the new stuff comes out at no charge. and for the $5 a month / box, it is a no brainer.

but if you decide to switch, let me know, and I will put you into the referral system, and help get you a bill credit.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by DENZILDON
    Can't remember if the channels are the same. But it looks like it all boils down if you are willing to pay $80 a month to keep an email address.
    People still use service provider email addresses?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by ZMan2k2

I've already signed her up for a gmail address, would love for her to use it more often, but she has so much mail everyday coming from family and friends, that would have to make the switch. I don't even use the email anymore, I use my own gmail address on my phone or tablet. I'll talk to her, and see if I can convince her to switch. I can save $70, not $80 for a year, and then, I pay what I pay now.

Another question. I would sign up for the 3 year deal with the free digital boxes. After the 3 years, do I have to pay for rental of the boxes, or is the rental still free? Because that would be a deciding factor as well.
    You could send out an email to family friends just saying hey I moved to XYZ email please update and use that.

Then for a few months you could set up an automatic reply just saying Sorry this email is no longer active I've moved to XYZ email please resend it to that address.

And leave it like that and check it from time to time. Hopefully after a while everyone would clue in and switch over to the new address.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

if you have a shaw or telus email address you want to keep, just ask a friend to move it to their account. it costs nothing for anyone to do so.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    People still use service provider email addresses?
    Heh, our main one has been in use for 18+ years now - a telus.net (formerly telusplanet.net) one and after 18+ years, we get virtually no spam on it. Do have multiple non-service provider ones though. Shit, we've had one of our telephone lines for 30 years now.

My Ride

Sorry SpikerS. I have finished negotiations with Shaw, and came out with the better deal. I switched to Internet 15, but keep 250Gb of download space, even though the most I download is XBOXONE games. Everything else in the house is simple web browsing over wifi, so the speed difference means nothing to us. I dropped a bunch of channels we never watched, and the phone service remains the same. I went from $165/month with the loyalty discount to $115/month with a 2 year loyalty discount and one free VOD movie per month for 2 years. I figure I'll save more in 3 years than I would have with Telus over 3 years, which would have been $90/month for the first year, and $161/month for the other two.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast