Quantcast
Rebuilt Status risks? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilt Status risks?

Default Rebuilt Status risks?

To all who may know, what risks is there in buying a newer (2011) BMW M3 with a rebuilt status?

Say I buy the car, what will the insurance company say about its insurance value? What happens in an accident and in a case of another massive accident?

Also what is the typical reduced value of a total loss rebuilt titled vehicle??
    Last edited by BMDUBS; 03-22-2015 at 12:44 PM.

My Ride

No risks at all

Just make sure it was fixed right and know it might be a bit harder to sell down the road, but it will sell for the right price.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You'll need to ask your insurance company, but as far as I know, some companies won't insure rebuilt cars with collision.
    I think I see the car on kijiji that you are looking at. If so, it's listed at $38,500, and the comparable cars are listed at between $60 and $75k.

You want to see some very solid documentation on WHO did the rebuild. If it's not a company that specializes in BMW, I wouldn't touch it.

The whole point of getting an M3 over the regular 3 series is that it's special. If some joe-blow NE shady fuck rebuilt it, it's probably been done with the cheapest parts he can find, which likely means that suspension is back to "normal" 3-series parts, or worse. an get into 2011 3-series for $20k, so not much point paying nearly double for a car with a dubious history.

Shit, for $38k, you can get yourself into a very lightly used 2013 or even 2014 3-series, and end up with a much better car, with warranty.

My vote: Don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I wouldn't say there are "no" risks at all. Everything has to be inspected so assuming that went as planned it should at least be roadworthy. However, there is nothing to say a repair is going to hold up as well as if it wasn't damaged in the first place. Perhaps inferior parts (but still in spec) were used. Perhaps something wasn't sealed whereby from the factory it was... those sorts of things. An inspection doesn't ensure it is up to original spec; it just makes sure the car works and is safe to drive.

Reduced value? I'm not sure but I'd say 20-25% less sounds about right.

The one you're talking about is a black sedan owned by a guy named Victor right?

Yeah... I'd avoid that one. If you want to know why PM me.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    You'll need to ask your insurance company, but as far as I know, some companies won't insure rebuilt cars with collision.
    I think I see the car on kijiji that you are looking at. If so, it's listed at $38,500, and the comparable cars are listed at between $60 and $75k.

You want to see some very solid documentation on WHO did the rebuild. If it's not a company that specializes in BMW, I wouldn't touch it.

The whole point of getting an M3 over the regular 3 series is that it's special. If some joe-blow NE shady fuck rebuilt it, it's probably been done with the cheapest parts he can find, which likely means that suspension is back to "normal" 3-series parts, or worse. an get into 2011 3-series for $20k, so not much point paying nearly double for a car with a dubious history.

Shit, for $38k, you can get yourself into a very lightly used 2013 or even 2014 3-series, and end up with a much better car, with warranty.

My vote: Don't do it.
    I wouldn't buy that M3.

Originally posted by ToXicXxX
    The one you're talking about is a black sedan owned by a guy named Victor right?

Yeah... I'd avoid that one. If you want to know why PM me.
    Why

I just know how it was put back together and what kind of corners were cut. He had a white coupe as well that he brought to us, asking for all sorts of shady shit to be done (basically wanted a bunch of codes/errors permanently hidden, no doubt from a shoddy rebuild). Needless to say we turned him away.

My Ride
    bus

I just know how it was put back together and what kind of corners were cut. He had a white coupe as well that he brought to us, asking for all sorts of shady shit to be done (basically wanted a bunch of codes/errors permanently hidden, no doubt from a shoddy rebuild). Needless to say we turned him away.
    Sounds like a typical kijiji curber

Originally posted by redblack

Sounds like a typical kijiji curber
    Gotta love that internet.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Talk to your insurance company.

Do some research on the car, make sure it was done correctly.

Typically rebuild cars are fine since passing them is very difficult (unless you pay someone off and do it in a shady way). Keep the value in mind... they're harder to sell and worth less. They can be a good way to get a decent vehicle for cheap.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

If it's the one I described you need to run. Very far away.

That's some shady shit

Would a car like this still be under factory warranty if it has a rebuilt title? (assuming 4yr/80km)

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by J.M.

That's some shady shit

Would a car like this still be under factory warranty if it has a rebuilt title? (assuming 4yr/80km)
    Generally a rebuild will have 0 warranty from the manufacturer.

My Ride
    Trucks

And also subject to any recalls, safety or not.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Yup, every rebuilt I've seen is disqualified for recalls or warranty. I'd only consider a car like that with a form of warranty, even if there is a deductible involved. Repairs can escalate fast.

My Ride
    2010 Sierra Denali

I would have to say its a risky buy. If you plan on keeping it long term that will be when issues start popping up if any do. Not to mention if or when you go to sell it people are gonna be very concerned like you are, you will have to drop the price dramatically.
    B-Man

RentZa.ca

List Your Rental Today!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Legally I think they have to be subject to recalls still but nothing else.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

It would also depend on why it was written off to begin with. As an example, my civic is a theft recovery from the states and was rebuilt because of the 50 states, 3 of them are auto writeoffs when stolen. Just do your research.

Yup it's the black one. I think this car is worth $30k or less. The price is not good enough for the risk and loss of value. Nevermind how it was put back together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast