Quantcast
Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Private Counterparts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Private Counterparts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    G6
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Private Counterparts

    Highlights:

    The average public sector employee makes 18 to 37 per cent more than a comparable employee working in the private sector, according to a new report from the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.

    •The salary premium for provincial government employees was 5.5 per cent, growing to 21.2 per cent with benefits;

    http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/3/23/Pri...re-report.aspx

    Hopefully some ammunition for Prentice government to do some decent slashing of salaries in the public sector. This study indicates that all those teachers and nurses that bitch about being underpaid are actually overpaid up to 21%! Also interesting that the average public employee works six hours less a WEEK then their private counterpart.
    Last edited by Feruk; 03-23-2015 at 10:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Is this some sort of surprise?

    Everyone knows the public sector is overpaid.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    lester van
    Posts
    158
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    And they get wicked good pensions too. Seriously, public sector has absolutely nothing to bitch about.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Not Aspen
    My Ride
    ferd furkus rs
    Posts
    3,580
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Might wanna edit thread title lol

    "Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Public Counterparts"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    4,853
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Fixed the title.

    Paging HiTempGuy1

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    As a public sector employee, I approve this message.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    UZJ100, D2 S8, UrQuattro
    Posts
    1,416
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Public Counterparts

    Originally posted by Feruk

    Hopefully some ammunition for Prentice government to do some decent slashing of salaries in the public sector. This study indicates that all those teachers and nurses that bitch about being underpaid are actually overpaid up to 21%! Also interesting that the average public employee works six hours less a WEEK then their private counterpart.
    My feeling is that Nurses and Teachers should not have their wages cut.

    I have no idea what you do for work, but I'm guessing it does not approach the importance of taking care of the sick or educating our youth.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,410
    Rep Power
    49

    Default Re: Re: Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Public Counterparts

    Originally posted by zipdoa


    My feeling is that Nurses and Teachers should not have their wages cut.

    I have no idea what you do for work, but I'm guessing it does not approach the importance of taking care of the sick or educating our youth.
    Nope those are just the easy targets and what everyone says budget cuts will target.

    What really needs to be reduced is the bureaucracy. Do you know how many middle managers there are at the City of Calgary for instance? Or even AHS and CBE.

    They make Innitech look like a well oiled machine.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    179
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Seems this would be commons sense seeing how they are all unionized.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Peoples Republic of Albertastan
    Posts
    5,245
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Re: Re: Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Public Counterparts

    .
    Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 04:02 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

    Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    G6
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Re: Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Public Counterparts

    Originally posted by zipdoa
    I have no idea what you do for work, but I'm guessing it does not approach the importance of taking care of the sick or educating our youth.
    That's a pretty weak argument. Is a nurse or teacher more important than a garbage man or cop? I think for the average person, the removal of cops and garbage man would have a far higher immediate impact than removal of a nurse/teacher. At the end of the day, an occupation is worth what the market will pay for it. Since the private market will pay less for teachers/nurses, it's an indication they are overpaid.
    Last edited by Feruk; 03-23-2015 at 10:55 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    G6
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Public Counterparts

    Originally posted by Cos
    Where does it say nurses and teachers are over paid by 21%? I read that whole article and no mention of that.
    Says including pension, public provincial employees receive 21% more than their counterparts. Three big spendings for the province: health care, infrastructure, education.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Peoples Republic of Albertastan
    Posts
    5,245
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Public Counterparts

    .
    Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 11:00 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

    Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Re: Re: Public Sector Employees Make 18-37% More Than Public Counterparts

    Originally posted by Feruk

    That's a pretty weak argument. Is a nurse or teacher more important than a garbage man or cop? I think for the average person, the removal of cops and garbage man would have a far higher immediate impact than removal of a nurse/teacher. At the end of the day, an occupation is worth what the market will pay for it. Since the private market will pay less for teachers/nurses, it's an indication they are overpaid.
    Be careful, every teacher I've known in Alberta that has jumped to the private side makes a lot more. Private schools have very healthy competition for their spots as they pay a lot more.

    Same for nurses. Go work in the oil sector for more money and stable hours vs hospitals pay and 24/7.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    My Ride
    1995 WRX STi
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Public sector != unionized workers.

    Public sector management is insanely overbloated, built on cronyism, and needs drastic cuts.

    You'll also find that this is exactly how the government uses these stats to attack unions, but not themselves. Its win-win because people equate public sector with unions which is false.

    I do not know a single union or non-union individual in my organization that is earning more than average wages (based on aset or appega surveys). Management on the other hand... The cro, vp, and a couple major managers are all living in Calgary and fly up to Edmonton once a week to do their jobs. You should be pissed at THEM.

    Management also gets BETTER pension plans.

    So yea, I don't necessarily disagree with the statement. I just know lots of you guys will have huge boners to use it to piss all over unions.

    Teachers and nurses are paid good money... But fuuuuuuck those jobs. My sister is a nurse, my mother went from hr management with her certs back to university to become a teacher.

    I could not do either one of those jobs, no matter the money.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Pretty sure that article is not looking at Alberta with our ludicrous O&G wages. ..accounting engineers lawyers they all make way more in private and public practise here. ..

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North
    My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE, '09 G37s WM edition
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    People calling for cuts to the bureaucracy should crunch the numbers. I agree there are many who could and should be let go, but it's a drop in the bucket when you compare corporate supports to labour costs in front-line delivery.

    If you want to have an actual impact on the expenses side, you have to tackle the often highest-in-Canada wages on the delivery side. Note that while we are often highest or among the highest per-capita in spending for educ/healthcare, our outcomes are middle of the pack at best.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Public sector != unionized workers.

    Public sector management is insanely overbloated, built on cronyism, and needs drastic cuts.

    You'll also find that this is exactly how the government uses these stats to attack unions, but not themselves. Its win-win because people equate public sector with unions which is false.

    I do not know a single union or non-union individual in my organization that is earning more than average wages (based on aset or appega surveys). Management on the other hand... The cro, vp, and a couple major managers are all living in Calgary and fly up to Edmonton once a week to do their jobs. You should be pissed at THEM.

    Management also gets BETTER pension plans.

    So yea, I don't necessarily disagree with the statement. I just know lots of you guys will have huge boners to use it to piss all over unions.

    Teachers and nurses are paid good money... But fuuuuuuck those jobs. My sister is a nurse, my mother went from hr management with her certs back to university to become a teacher.

    I could not do either one of those jobs, no matter the money.
    My Nurse friends agree with the bloat in the management/supervisor side.

    One of the major issues with healthcare is when a mistake is made and someone dies there is an inquiry. The result of the inquiry is always more supervision and more checks and balances. Budget has no place in safety. As a result there is so many supervisors to check every action. Now every nurse needs another nurse to check everything they do, thus bloat.

    Or do we blame and hold a person responsible for their mistakes?

    Same with teachers. Unless they touch a student you can't get fired, no matter how bad you are.

    I don't think their wages are too high, but they have to meet some standard to keep teaching.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    179
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Public sector != unionized workers.
    Yeah how many public sector workers are not unionized? Unions are a truly horrible idea when they are involved with the government. Why? Because the government has pretty much no choice but the increase their wages no matter the state of the economy or the budget. When everyone else is seeing wage decreases in this economy are we seeing wage cuts in the public sector? No...

    I mean you gotta be kidding me if you think it's somehow sensical that all the public workers get raises every single year even when the economy isn't doing so hot. Once a union is in place it's like rot it just spreads and wreaks havoc. Take the city of Calgary where recently the EIT staff was forcibly unionized. Yeah you read that right the engineers in training were forcibly amalgamated into the City's union.

    So yeah tell me that's not a problem when people are forcibly unionized even when they don't want to be because unions just have that much power in the public sector at the moment.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    My Ride
    1995 WRX STi
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by EM2FTL
    People calling for cuts to the bureaucracy should crunch the numbers. I agree there are many who could and should be let go, but it's a drop in the bucket when you compare corporate supports to labour costs in front-line delivery.

    If you want to have an actual impact on the expenses side, you have to tackle the often highest-in-Canada wages on the delivery side. Note that while we are often highest or among the highest per-capita in spending for educ/healthcare, our outcomes are middle of the pack at best.
    We are highest because wages in Alberta are among the highest average in Canada. Derp derp. To place blame on the front-line people for the awful management that should be "leading" is ludicrous.

    Do I REALLY need to post the infographic for you again? I swear to christ, if you ever run for any form of political office it will be my sole mission in life to bird-dog you and make your life miserable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Province moves towards allowing public sector workers to strike

    By Buster in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 62
    Latest Threads: 03-23-2016, 08:05 AM
  2. Green Energy Sector ALREADY employs more people than Oil sands

    By Toma in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 26
    Latest Threads: 12-03-2014, 04:17 PM
  3. Make less than $80K/year and has less than $100K asset?

    By Xtrema in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 31
    Latest Threads: 03-04-2011, 02:32 PM
  4. who uses private sector recycling

    By Kritafo in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 02-28-2007, 08:18 AM
  5. Private-sector auto insurance costs far more

    By /////AMG in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 09-11-2003, 02:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •