Quantcast
Tire Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Tire Question

My Ride
    '99 cbr 600

Default Tire Question

I've been looking around for two new tires for my bike. I was leaning towards the Avon's, or a pair of battle axes. The Avon's that I looked at had a sticker price of about $600 for the pair at Walt Healys. Does anyone one have any suggestions as to which tires I should buy or where I should get them?

I have no experience with Avon or Bridgestone tires. I've only been on Dunlops and Michellin's. I really like the Pilot Sports and just bought another set of them a month or so ago.

I've never heard anything about Avon's so I'd stick with more 'mainstream' brands. Dunlop, Bridgestone, Michellin, Pirelli and Metzler.

Give Angus a call at 616-2911. He runs a mobile motorcycle tire replacement service. Has the best prices in town and will come to your house to change the tires for you.

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Everyone uses pilot sports...

avons in general tend to be more soft, so if you ride straight alot, not the best choice. but if your a carver, it's a real linear curved tire.

as for the battlax, it's a harder compound that still offers great traction but not as great in cool weather as the other brands stated. they do however have extreme lean capability and extra meat on the center for touring longevity purposes. also cheaper. i use them cause i usually have a passenger, do lots of wheelies etc.

best thing is to give it a try. if you like it, stick with it. if you dont, move on. everyone can give an opinion, but no rides the same.

My Ride
    '99 cbr 600

Originally posted by HACHIROKU_4AG
    avons in general tend to be more soft, so if you ride straight alot, not the best choice. but if your a carver, it's a real linear curved tire.

as for the battlax, it's a harder compound that still offers great traction but not as great in cool weather as the other brands stated. they do however have extreme lean capability and extra meat on the center for touring longevity purposes. also cheaper. i use them cause i usually have a passenger, do lots of wheelies etc.

best thing is to give it a try. if you like it, stick with it. if you dont, move on. everyone can give an opinion, but no rides the same.
    Maybe I'll stick with the battlax then, it's the only tire I've ever ridden on enough to get a real feel for. Also I have buddies that road my bike and said they loved the feel of the battleax's compared to their stock Dunlop's. Thanks for the feed back!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My Dunlops have lasted pretty well. First rear lasted 11,000 kms, second one lasted 8,000. My front is on 24,000 and needs to be replaced... like yesterday.

Rode my friends ZX-9R with Avons, they are sticky, but I found his caused the bike to want to drop into a turn.