Quantcast
Cost of custom sub enclosure? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cost of custom sub enclosure?

Default Cost of custom sub enclosure?

Hey everyone,

I'm just curious to know what the general cost of someone in calgary creating a custom sub enclosure? What are your thoughts on it and who would you recommend?

Since the canadian dollar is so bad, I want to see what it would cost locally. I want something like the AudioIntegration boxes

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

That example is very form fitting. Could be very expensive to re-make that. I've done square "custom" boxes for less than 100.00 including carpeting.

Is that box fiberglass? No way you can do that for under 100.00

They're actually not too hard to make, just takes time and patience. Hardest part is the ring. But you can buy those if you don't have a router.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
    That example is very form fitting. Could be very expensive to re-make that. I've done square "custom" boxes for less than 100.00 including carpeting.

Is that box fiberglass? No way you can do that for under 100.00
    I need one made for my regal gs, in the spare tire recess. How much for that do you figure?
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

I don't expect to do it under $100 realistically. That box shipped and after CAD-USD exchange works out to ~$500 CAD so I wanted to see if there are any other alternatives in calgary for a custom box. Any suggestions?

My Ride
    4x4

Holy shit! That much? For some mdf and carpet?

I think I need to tune up my CNC router (unlike arash's it works) lol

My Ride
    Toyota’s

^^ Sounds about right, I think Rockford make one thats form fitted for my X, it's $700 but has the sub built in, so probably a $500 usd box.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I need one made for my regal gs, in the spare tire recess. How much for that do you figure?
    Well that varies. By "custom" i mean each sub is tuned to move a certain amount of air. The volume of the box is what is important.

Furthermore, anything square is most cost effective otherwise you need routers, fiberglass work to make something true custom and form fitting. And to get near 500.00 for one box is not out of the question.

Most people don't care and just want their trunk to rattle and don't chase sound quality. But a "custom tuned" box makes quality subs sound alot better than pre-made boxes.

Well that varies. By "custom" i mean each sub is tuned to move a certain amount of air. The volume of the box is what is important.

Furthermore, anything square is most cost effective otherwise you need routers, fiberglass work to make something true custom and form fitting. And to get near 500.00 for one box is not out of the question.

Most people don't care and just want their trunk to rattle and don't chase sound quality. But a "custom tuned" box makes quality subs sound alot better than pre-made boxes.
    I guess what I mean by custom is more along the lines of form fitting. Stock sub kinda sucks and just looking to fill the the lows for sound. Want an enclosure to fit like the one in the picture and just seeing if it's better to get it made or to order it online.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

The one I want for my car is like $800 (JL Stealthbox), no way I am spending that. Haha. I haven't found a place that does fibreglass style ones. Just your regular rectangular ones

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Originally posted by Aznshadow85

I guess what I mean by custom is more along the lines of form fitting. Stock sub kinda sucks and just looking to fill the the lows for sound. Want an enclosure to fit like the one in the picture and just seeing if it's better to get it made or to order it online.
    If were talking a fiberglass enclosure it will almost always be cheaper to get a prefab one. I use to be contracted by a couple audio shops to make custom enclosures and prices STARTED at 1000$ for what you posted. (this was a decade ago I'd imagine it would be even more now)

It is extremely labour intensive and all the prefab ones will make a mold of the vehicle and use that to pump out several 100 or 1000 units and be using a chop gun. Without a mold you are essentially using the vehicle as the mold wich requires covering everything and lining the trunk so the resin doesnt soak through and get all over. To compound this its awkward as hell to be bent over in a trunk all day wearing respirator gear. Not only that but you should have equipment to ventilate the car while you are working with the resin otherwise the interior will smell for quite some time.

Not only that but quality fiberglass material and more so the resin is expensive if you arent buying it in bulk. (and the resin gets harder to work with the older it gets)

Making a fiberglass box is a good DIY project, there are lots of tutorials online but expect to probably put a good 10-15hours of labour into your first box.

Tuning a (sealed) Fiberglass box is pretty simple though just make sure its bigger than what is needed and use a solid material inside to take away internal volume. ( i always just used a 2x4 cut to size with a bit of resin on the back and stuck it in)

Theres not many places that do custom fiberglass enclosures because people wont pay the price for them.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Oh I know, $500 isn't bad at all actually. Most places like Visions want $1500++ Its just like.... uh, fuck that.
    Yeah I have a box modeling program on my computer, so I can fine tune the internal air space needed, port length, loses due to woofer displacement, port displacement (etc).
    I can work with you to figure out given how much space there is to use, and where to go from there.
    Just sucks as the woofer I want to use (RE audio XXX) is deeper then it is in diameter, so that'll really screw with having it flush mounted with the rest of the trunk.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    CH9

i charge about $500 plus parts to build side boxes.

PM me if you want more info

It takes me about a day and a half to build and i make them as close to spec as possible, (really hard to get an exact volume)

I have been using this style of box in my last 2 cars and they are great.
    Last one even had a hidden Port.

Paul

My Ride

I just built one for and it is definitely worth $500 to buy unless you have free time on your hands. I spent about $150 on materials alone not including tools, gloves, respirator, sandpaper. In the the process, my car smells like resin.

It was a good 10-15 hours like mentioned earlier. The only reason I have no regrets building mine is that the prefab ones are usually thicker to fit various subwoofer depths. My custom box was built around my sub and will have minimal excess volume and depth.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Jumping on this thread, how much for a custom square box? I'm looking for something similar to below (though likely only one sub)

Sorry can't post it as an image as imgur is blocked at work.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/a...7&d=1388465989

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/a...9&d=1388466006