Quantcast
Car ransacked... only registration/insurance taken any worries? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Car ransacked... only registration/insurance taken any worries?

Default Car ransacked... only registration/insurance taken any worries?

Last night I came out and my car was rummaged through, and the only thing I saw that was taken was my registration and insurance papers...

I did leave the car unlocked unfortunately and that was my mistake, but luckily due to the recent thefts, I disabled my homelink and had no garage opener inside.

they even left my Raybans, backpack and my hockey gloves lol...

Are there any risks of the information that was on these papers to possibly be used for "fraud"?

All the info I think seems to be public outside of maybe the insurance number.... but I could see someone trying to make a fradulant claim, but I've filed a police report already, which would implicate anyone trying as conducting fraud.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

only thing I can think of is forging a bill of sale either for your truck, or one similar to it that they will fab up a fake VIN plate for.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I'd call a registry and your insurance company to see if they need to be advised of the incident and missing papers, and see if they have any other recommendations.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

check to make sure your plate is correct... possible that someone stole a similar vehicle and just took all your info and plate so they'd be "good" if they got pulled over

Did you triple check your garage door opener is still there (and the correct one)?

Often the address and garage door opener = a decent payday.

Originally posted by spike98
    Did you triple check your garage door opener is still there (and the correct one)?

Often the address and garage door opener = a decent payday.
    no garage door opener... have homelink but had to disable it

I may have to let the insurance company know... the cops didn't think there was anything to be concerned of... but a signed copy of a registration on the back as a bill of sale, may be contentended I'll assume... but I have a case number to back my story up, as well as quicly to identify the perp

We don't care at all that your docs were stolen (registry side). That being said, I can tell you that there was a rash of break ins of homes that happened as a result of stolen registration docs. They'd break into a car in a public lot, take the docs (so they have your home address) and come by later to break in when the car was visibly not present.

The other thing that is common is VIN plate duplications. However, nearly every vehicles vin is visible from the outside of the car. So, to take the reg isn't necessary unless they are duplicating the vin and forging a signature in the back of the reg as a bill of sale and taking the fake version of your car out of province.

Moving forward... Report it to the police, keep the case number and go to the registry and get a duplicate certificate ($22.45 or you can renew early and bring your insurance to do so - for the cost of your normal renewal).

Originally posted by dannie
    We don't care at all that your docs were stolen (registry side). That being said, I can tell you that there was a rash of break ins of homes that happened as a result of stolen registration docs. They'd break into a car in a public lot, take the docs (so they have your home address) and come by later to break in when the car was visibly not present.

The other thing that is common is VIN plate duplications. However, nearly every vehicles vin is visible from the outside of the car. So, to take the reg isn't necessary unless they are duplicating the vin and forging a signature in the back of the reg as a bill of sale and taking the fake version of your car out of province.

Moving forward... Report it to the police, keep the case number and go to the registry and get a duplicate certificate ($22.45 or you can renew early and bring your insurance to do so - for the cost of your normal renewal).
    Invisible? Have you never noticed the little cut out on your windshield showing the VIN?

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 03-26-2015 at 10:08 PM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

"vin is visible" is not the same as "invisible"

Originally posted by blitz
    "vin is visible" is not the same as "invisible"

Woa yeah. Read invisible. Bed time for me lol

My Ride
    12 camaro ss ,91 aristo , 12 ram

My car was also ransacked sometime during the night of march 26, i just cant figure out if they took anything or not. I had about 20 dollars kn change, burberry sunglasses, ipad, a book of signed blank checks from one of my tenants ,radar detector , dash cam, and a camera .... They left all of that including my registration and insurance although it was gone through as well. Also left car unlocked and was on my driveway

Originally posted by 300zxfairlday
    My car was also ransacked sometime during the night of march 26, i just cant figure out if they took anything or not. I had about 20 dollars kn change, burberry sunglasses, ipad, a book of signed blank checks from one of my tenants ,radar detector , dash cam, and a camera .... They left all of that including my registration and insurance although it was gone through as well. Also left car unlocked and was on my driveway
    I'm in auburn bay... same area? I've seen reports of the same thing on various streets

My Ride
    It's wind powered

my plate was stolen off my m3 and someone used it to fill gas up a few weeks later. so when the cops showed up asking for me to pay ( because to them, a sunfire looked like an e92 m3 ), I told them about the stolen plate and they dug the case up. once you report it stolen, then you should be good.
    Happiness starts at 3000 rpm.