Quantcast
school me on ruckus' - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: school me on ruckus'

My Ride
    Bagged A4, Ruckus

Default school me on ruckus'

Im looking at picking up a little project, i figure a ruckus is a good one because they're cheap, I'm assuming they're cheap to insure/register because its a moped,lots of aftermarket goodies and it wouldn't take up much room in my garage. yes i know they're kinda lame, but i feel like they would be fun to rip around on in the summer. It would also save me lots of money that i wanna blow on my audi....

pics of audi for clicks....

pics of a ruckus that i think is kinda cool....

Can someone with a ruckus/moped chime in and share some knowledge?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Any form of a scooter is a blast to bomb around on. The issue is that they are only 50cc so they are very limited in power and can be slow in a lot of traffic.

With that said insurance is dirt cheap as my girlfriend pays I think $6/month to insure her little scooter but they are limited to where you can ride due to speed limits.

The Ruckus is a cool little scooter but you have to drop a ton of money into them to make it look anything like the one above and once all the money is spend you could have bought a decent little 250cc bike and have far more fun.

My Ride
    EG6

Find a used one that is 80% of the way to what you want sounds like the option I would go. I have an Indian re branded 50cc and I'm glad it has pedals to help on hills. It isn't much but it's a bit better than pushing.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    V8s

You could easily get a used 600 supersport for the price of lots of those modded ruckuses (ruckii?). I've often thought about how sick they are, but in Calgary they just make no sense. Unless you live DT and never leave DT. Otherwise you'll mod it, then look at it sit in the garage.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
    Find a used one that is 80% of the way to what you want sounds like the option I would go. I have an Indian re branded 50cc and I'm glad it has pedals to help on hills. It isn't much but it's a bit better than pushing.
    Pretty much. 50cc is good for flats and bombing around but when its a hill you have to deal with well they get a little tough.

My girlfriends is a 2 stroke 50cc with a 2 speed transmission so it does pretty good.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I have a fully streched one and have built 3 others like it. They are super fun to rip around on. No Glenmore, no Deerfoot though. They only go 70-80km hour topped out on a flat. Registration and Insurance is nothing, stupid cheap like 120ish for everything, no bike license required.

And the best part, so much aftermarket support. Motor swaps, air ride, custum everything. They are a lot of fun and you get tons of looks when blasting around downtown haha

Here is the fleet:

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Ca_Silvia13; 03-30-2015 at 08:07 AM.

My Ride
    Bagged A4, Ruckus

i agree modding them can get expensive, but that bring said, theres no way my parents will allow me to get a proper bike until i have my own house.... i feel like a ruckus would allow me to get my feet wet.

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
    I have a fully streched one and have built 3 others like it. They are super fun to rip around on. No Glenmore, no Deerfoot though. They only go 70-80km hour topped out on a flat. Registration and Insurance is nothing, stupid cheap like 120ish for everything, no bike license required.

And the best part, so much aftermarket support. Motor swaps, air ride, custum everything. They are a lot of fun and you get tons of looks when blasting around downtown haha

Here is the fleet:

Let me know if you have any questions.

awesome. any chance you want to get rid of one lol?

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

I've always wanted to get one - but to get them the way you or I want them to look is going to be $$$

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

They are super rare in Calgary. Out of the 4 i ride with, 3 came from Edmonton and 1 from Red Deer.

I've never seen one for sale in Calgary lol

One might be for sale this year. Not sure what she is doing but i can ask the question if you're serious.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Cos
    I know a guy who used to work at Walt and he had a kit on it, I can't remember exactly but I think it was a new head. He could get that thing up to 100km/h and it was something like 80cc 'off the books'.

I've always wanted to get one. I think they'd be great for bombing around.
    There are a ton of kits for all scooters to increase the output of them. The issue is that if you get into an accident and they investigate you could void your insurance.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Just get a real bike... if you want a project build a brat/cafe/scrambler... class 6 is a very simple test, you also dont really need one if you ride with others that have one (took me 2 years of riding to get around to it myself). My cx500 is $160/year to insure and has JUST enough power to actually ride the damn thing on the roads. Parts are dirt cheap, old bikes are also dirt cheap, only tricky bit is doing the welding and fab work... but if you have the skills, then that too is dirt cheap. You'll end up with a much more original product and enough power to actually use the thing, with money leftover vs a damn ruckus

My Ride
    V8s

^All of this. And if you're a grown up and your parents won't let you do something, maybe time to move out?

I kid, I kid. But seriously. Just get a real bike of some type.

My Ride
    Bagged A4, Ruckus

Originally posted by cjblair
    ^All of this. And if you're a grown up and your parents won't let you do something, maybe time to move out?

lol sounds like I'm 12 when i said that I'm 22, planning to move out next year. The gf would also murder me if i got a big boy bike i need to train her somehow.

My Ride
    Bagged A4, Ruckus

Originally posted by cjblair

lol sounds like I'm 12 when i said that I'm 22, planning to move out next year. The gf would also murder me if i got a big boy bike i need to train her somehow.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

A sub 500cc vintage bike is a borderline scooter... but at least you can ride it on all the roads and keep your testicles intact

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've thought of picking up one every once in a while (I was actually just looking into it again this weekend before you posted haha). Regardless of what everyone else says, I think they look like they could be pretty fun to scoot around in downtown and they're as cheap as $800-1200 on the used market. Problem is it sounds like the stock engines are pretty boring and if you want any fun out of them, you want to do the 2 stroke engine swap. By the time you get the parts for that and a few extra mods, you may as well have gotten a bike.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 08:59 PM.

I had a GSXR 600 and i got rearended and it got written off, blah blah blah. Few years later, my buddy got a Honda Spree 50cc, then another friend got one and then I got one. So now 3 of us have them and we bomb around. They both lived downtown before so I would store my scooter there and we would bomb around for coffee, for fun, for lunch etc and it was cheap, fun and goofy.
    We all still have our scooters and I'm moving to kensington tomorrow so it will be out and about.

600cc are for if you want to leave the core. the OP doesn't require it so 50cc is just fine. they are fun. alot of people say 'oh they're gay blah blah' but then they try it and love it. good, clean, cheap fun

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I showed this last year but this is what $300 bought my girlfriend

Tomos Targa LX (No longer made) 50cc 2 stroke scooter. Its a fun little thing to boot around on.. Just have to fix up the muffler and its rideable again.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast