Quantcast
Shell rolling out RFID Chips to Employee's - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shell rolling out RFID Chips to Employee's

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
    Strange how some of you put up resistance to this, however want police to have cameras rolling 24/7 and everything tracked...whats the difference?
    You don't see the difference? Really? People aren't asking for police cams because they think they're slacking off sleeping on the job.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Strange how some of you put up resistance to this, however want police to have cameras rolling 24/7 and everything tracked...whats the difference?
    I don't think anyone in this thread thinks they are a bad idea actually going through the posts? No resistance at all.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2008 Impreza WRX

Oh come on. You can't be serious.

I remember from over 12 years ago at TELUS when I was the president of one of the local unions in Calgary, the uproar over TELUS installing GPS tracking devices in their vehicles. The union was in an uproar, employees were in an uproar - my line of though, which I openly expressed, is that if you were doing the job you were paid to be doing, were on time for work, didn't greatly stretch your coffee or lunch breaks and didn't speed, then what was the big deal?

Of course, we had idiots disconnect the GPS units or sabotage them or whatever but in the end, it proved to be no big deal. If you are doing your job as instructed, then there just shouldn't be no problem. Of course, we also had a few over-zealous managers but it wasn't difficult to control them - there's bad apples when it comes to both union employees and management. Fortunately the number of bad apples is far less than the average person, union or not.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Hahahahahaha

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by FraserB
    Not shocked unions are upset about it, it doesn't give them a monetary benefit.
    You guys are a bunch of goofs (singling you out specifically though). If you read the actual article, at WORST, the ONE union rep quoted has an EXTREMELY neutral stance.

Originally posted by FraserB
    This isn't a bad thing. It keeps people out of areas they aren't authorized for and makes it easy to locate people in an emergency since the sign in/out books aren't foolproof.
    I'm not against this system, however, lets be serious; the number of times that this will actually be used in the name of "safety" is slim to none. At the end of the day, all of this data has to be filtered, analyzed, and acted on by HUMANS. All that this will be used for is to point fingers and spread blame if something were to happen. Emphasis on "were to happen" because of how "relatively" safe current plant sites are.

Unless a system like this can be fully automated, including doing the things you suggest, it doesn't make a lick of a difference.

Originally posted by kertejud2
    Get every single city employee one of these.

...In the name of safety.
    Every bus and snow plow can already be tracked in real time

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    I'm not against this system, however, lets be serious; the number of times that this will actually be used in the name of "safety" is slim to none. At the end of the day, all of this data has to be filtered, analyzed, and acted on by HUMANS. All that this will be used for is to point fingers and spread blame if something were to happen. Emphasis on "were to happen" because of how "relatively" safe current plant sites are.

Unless a system like this can be fully automated, including doing the things you suggest, it doesn't make a lick of a difference.
    Actually, systems like these have a high degree of automation and I wholeheartedly believe the system will absolutely be regularly used in the name of safety. The company in question takes safety very seriously, and even if there has to be some human intervention at first in filtering the data, the resulting process improvements will improve safety. Data after an incident or close call isn't just about pointing fingers, it's about making sure it doesn't happen again.

Just

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 11:28 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

You guys are a bunch of goofs (singling you out specifically though). If you read the actual article, at WORST, the ONE union rep quoted has an EXTREMELY neutral stance.

It can be fully automated. It will be primarily for safety and reduction in liability. The data is accessed far more often by computers than humans, by a huge margin. This is a massive step forward in safety and WILL result in lives saved.

Read up more about this, it is a great system and IS the future. There are exactly zero downsides to this.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/

RFID Journal is a great resource to start with if you want to understand this more. They keep things very basic and understandable.

From asset tracking to employee safety to inventory this is the way things will be done. Just wait until they decide to use drones to activate the passive cards instead of beacons.....I can hear the uninformed outrage already.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

From what I've read online about these systems, you can set up electronic fences around high risk areas and have it alarm if someone enters the zone, or tie it to an electronic permit system and alarm if someone enters the zone who isn't on the permit for that zone. In the unlikely event of disaster, just knowing where everyone is at a site that size could be a huge life saver. I also firmly believe the company when they say they will not use it to track productivity, there are too many HR and union issues to go anywhere near using it for that.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by carson blocks

Actually, systems like these have a high degree of automation and I wholeheartedly believe the system will absolutely be regularly used in the name of safety. The company in question takes safety very seriously
    Do we have a "jerk-off" emoticon? These companies take safety seriously in-so far as to avoid the government taking heavy handed action against them.

I am not saying they aren't safe. And yes, I am sure the system is automated, but if the data that comes out isn't useful to a human, its pointless

Its like traction-aids in winter; the concept (some engineer or HR wiz back in some head office somewhere) is heralded as a success, even though traction-aids on boots is dangerous 95% of the time.

Codetrap, while I agree about the comments, you are literally pigeonholing a group based on some facebook comments... really? That's like someone coming on here and associating all of us with Arash's posts

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Do we have a "jerk-off" emoticon? These companies take safety seriously in-so far as to avoid the government taking heavy handed action against them.

I am not saying they aren't safe. And yes, I am sure the system is automated, but if the data that comes out isn't useful to a human, its pointless

Its like traction-aids in winter; the concept (some engineer or HR wiz back in some head office somewhere) is heralded as a success, even though traction-aids on boots is dangerous 95% of the time.

Codetrap, while I agree about the comments, you are literally pigeonholing a group based on some facebook comments... really? That's like someone coming on here and associating all of us with Arash's posts
    Can you explain a single downside to this? Even if they were tracking employees movements for productivity sake, please explain the issue?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by killramos

I don't think anyone in this thread thinks they are a bad idea actually going through the posts? No resistance at all.
    I would hate this, but I don't work there and with any luck I'll never have to.

if the data that comes out isn't useful to a human, its pointless
    Like nearly all actions taken in the name of safety, it's useful in a lawsuit.

And that's all that matters.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by SKR

I would hate this, but I don't work there and with any luck I'll never have to.
    Was pointing out traffic cops bullshit and not reading the thread more than anything. When he made that claim not a single person in the thread was resistant to the devices. He came into the thread with his post pre written. Probably why he came off as so much of an idiot in it.

Obviously some people wont like it. Aka the slackers who are afraid of being called out by the data. But there isn't much of an argument against the system aside from perhaps that its a waste of money. But no taxpayer money on it so I don't give a shit what shell wastes it's money on.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Was pointing out traffic cops bullshit and not reading the thread more than anything. When he made that claim not a single person in the thread was resistant to the devices. He came into the thread with his post pre written. Probably why he came off as so much of an idiot in it.

Obviously some people wont like it. Aka the slackers who are afraid of being called out by the data. But there isn't much of an argument against the system aside from perhaps that its a waste of money. But no taxpayer money on it so I don't give a shit what shell wastes it's money on.
    I know, I was just sayin'.

I don't hate the idea as someone afraid of getting caught doing something wrong. I hate any safety program that requires you to do anything other than just be safe. And I hate that those programs exist because people can't take responsibility for their own stupidity.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 02:47 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Ford F150

This. Only people against it are the ones afraid of it increasing their productivity.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast