Quantcast
Good Flashlights - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Flashlights

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Default Good Flashlights

I remember seeing a thread a while back, i think it was on beyond anyways...

But for all of you guys who know a thing or two about flashlights, or don't know anything and can just appreciate a good flashlight....
    I know a good bike light, but for hand held flashlights, i'm lost!

Looking for advice on a good LED flashlight.
    Any recommendations, or good shops/items to check out for something good, bright and RAD?

Cree XM-L T6... You can buy them super cheap from China (online). Bright as hell!

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

There's lots of good brands out there, but what are you looking for.

For a small handheld flashlight or something you could do in a carry on sized bag, a surefire or similar is a little pricey, but bright and rugged as hell (think 80-150)

Canadian Tire makes some Noma LED handhelds that are similar dimension as the surefires, but in the 20-40 range, but they use 3xAAA instead of 123 type batteries.

For home I've got a couple nomas around for the price, but when I camped or worked security, the Surefire was what I carried every day.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Originally posted by J-D
    Cree XM-L T6... You can buy them super cheap from China (online). Bright as hell!
    XM-l t6 is like 3year old technology already. They are crazy bright but cree has come a long ways on effeciency since the xm-l(t6 refers to the efficiency of the diode and is referred to as the bin) The scale is kinda wonky but goes r3, r5, t4, t5, t6 ,u2, u3. U3 will give you the longest battery life. Not all bins are available on different lines of LEDs

XM-l2 u2 are what I'm currently using in most of my builds. If you really want a crazy bright light look for something with a cree MTG2.

only thing is most of the higher end cree really don't perform very well on alkaline batteries and really shine only under lithium power. So that usually means 18650 batteries. IF you want to stick with regular alkaline batteries your probably better suited to a diode like the XP-G2 or XP-E.

As for the OP you really have to be a bit more specific as to what your looking for. Do you want something you can slip in your pocket or clip on your keychain or would you prefer a portable sun that could double as a weapon because its so big. How much are you willing to spend? What kind of batteries do you want to run? Are long run times or high intensity more important? Answer these and I can probably recommend a flashlight for any situation =p

I use a a LEDLenser M7RX. Its expensive (~$300) but worth it. Lots of the forums hate on it because of the price as you can buy similar performing flashlights for cheaper but none of them have the propitiatory beam focusing that LEDlenser's have.

I uses one 18650 li-on that is replaceable should you want to hot swap and charges via magnetic clip via wall plug or USB.

http://www.ledlenser.com/880111.html#LLT355

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Although it's an "outdated" model now, I've got a Fenix TA21, and it's awesome. Variable 4 - 225 lumens, lasts forever on the dimmer sides, and holy shit has it taken a beating. Dropped from the tail of a Boeing 757 onto cement, run over by a small aircraft tug, dropped weekly really, been through all sorts of chemicals, and a ton of dirty, muddy camping trips.

Feels really good in your hand too, plus it's got some weight to it, and has some rather sharp edges if you get in trouble in the woods, or walking your dog after dark. If it ever dies, I'll definitely by buying another similar model.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 05-02-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Trucks

Check out 911 Supply in town to see what people are using for work on a daily basis. To me a good flashlight includes one that can be lost without being out a ton of money. I am currently using a TerraLUX Lightstar 300 that uses 2 AA batteries, is all aluminum, has 2 brightness settings and no other useless features and cost around $40. I carry mine in my pocket and use it several times every day.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 04:54 PM.

My Ride

Candlepowerforums.com and budgetlightforums.com are two very good sources of info and reviews on pretty much every flashlight ever made. The forums have two totally different mindsets though and the members on the different forums hate each other. Its actually very amusing to see SO much passion about flashlights. The CPF members are in the mentality that money=good and if it comes from china its crap. Where as the BLF forum is all about ordering everything made from china and seeing what actually performs the best with empirical data usually. BLF is also big on building and assembling their own.

I'm suprised Nitecore hasn't been mentioned as they are really leading the way recently and have some very nice lights.

Surefire,lenser,fenix are all very good and reliable but they tend to not be the brightest and prioritize reliability and run times over brightness. And they spend so much time developing them by the time they are released cree has already released a new emitter making the flashlight outdated before its even on shelves.

When I need a flashlight and I go to grab one from my collection of over 200 it usually ends up being a trustfire. Trustfire is a cheap Chinese company but they always seem to have the newest emitters in them and I'm really impressed with the quality of all mine. They defiantly are a great bang for your buck.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Awesome, thanks!!

Surefire has some good looking gear!
    ... What is a high lumen count for a good flashlight though?
    In good mtn biking headlights, 1000lumens is not unheard of (or in and around that ball park).
    Doesn't look like flashlights go that high though...

What would be decent?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I really couldn't see needing anything more than 200 lumens in a flashlight. I rarely turn mine up that high.

But, you know if you want to go all out, how about 3500?

http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-rc40.html
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 05-02-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride

3500 is nothing check out the 4sevens xm18 for over 15000 lumens.

Its almost painfull seeing some of the suggestions on here. A flashlight with a xp-e isnt worth getting anymore. there are such better chips out there. The only thing the xp-e excels at is luminous intensity. And that makes for a very narrow beam that most people aren't looking for in a flashlight.

One xp-e driven light I do like is the F23. The thing is keychain sized and has a dual mode driver so it can run on a single AAA alkaline or NiMH or you can pop in a lithium 10440 and get almost 300lumens out of it. Best of all its under 20$. The F25 is the AA/14500 sized version. IMO a little pocket light is the only use for a xpe anymore.

The trustfire TR-j12 an TR-J18 are both monster lights if you are looking for something a bit bigger with ridiculous light. My tr-j12 puts out 3600 lumens and is like carrying a portable stadium light with you and is similiar in size to a 3d mag lite.(both lights should be ran on 3X 18650 or 26650)

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

www.sunwayman.com
    They have a decent selection of EDC and Tactical lights. From 10 to 2,100 lumen hand cannons. Most lights are under $100!
    Last edited by DEATH2000; 05-04-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
    Candlepowerforums.com and budgetlightforums.com are two very good sources of info and reviews on pretty much every flashlight ever made. The forums have two totally different mindsets though and the members on the different forums hate each other.
    I have nothing to contribute but this is frigging hilarious
    Ultracrepidarian

Thrunite TN31 is what I have. Light, batteries and charger you're looking around 200 bux..

My Ride
    W204

Subscribed - I am looking for a new torch myself. My old Trustfire still works but I've noticed it's starting to dim and the buttons have gotten wonky. Time for new 18650s and a new light!
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I've never had a flashlight for anything. This thread is making me want one but it's also thoroughly confused me Hahaha
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Likewise. I wouldn't mind a small/light flashlight for hiking/camping with a nice wide beam pattern, good on batteries.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast