Quantcast
Dealership won't allow me to do inspection on the car Im considering buying - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealership won't allow me to do inspection on the car Im considering buying

Default Dealership won't allow me to do inspection on the car Im considering buying

Hoping to see if you someone can help me out. If I buy this car, it would be the first time me buying from a dealership. Im not familiar with their usual routine when it comes to selling used cars.

I have my eye on this car at T&T Honda. The only thing holding me back from proceeding further is that the dealership won't allow me to do inspection on the car. In other words, as I told the sales rep, Im not buying the car unless I can take it to my mech (who is less than 10km away from them) first to do a full inspection.

But they keep deflecting by saying "Its a Honda certified car, all our cars that come in have to meet Safety standards...our inspection is much more thorough than a lot of mech shops" blah blah blah. "Why do you need to inspect it when we already did it?"..."All parts that needed to be replaced, have been replaced".

They showed me a brief service history record and the car report and it looked good aside from one thing that is a potential red flag.

The car had a tranny flush done to it when it came in 2 months ago. It was done right at T&T Honda. I asked them about this, because I always thought that Honda always recommends you stay away from tranny flushing machines done on their cars.

But the sales rep said that they have a flushing machine and they use that on all the used cars that come in to their lot. Is this true? Sounded really odd because I always thought that Hondas recommendation for their tranny flushing is 3-4 repeated drain and fills. NOT using a flushing machine. If someone can clarify this for me, that would be great.

If its true that the Honda dealerships do use flushing machines on their trannies, would this be a deal breaker for you? I hear these machines do more harm than good and can kill your tranny.

About the inspection, they said that pretty much no one asks them ever take the car that they are considering buying to have it inspected by their own mech, when they see that its a Honda certified. Really? You see this being true? Sure a lot of customers may walk in and just buy on the spot once they see that its "Honda certified", but there are still people like me who always get it inspected by their own mech before buying any car, regardless of what the dealership says.

Is this standard for dealerships to not allow their cars to be inspected at customers mech shops?

They said, I would have to buy the car first, then inspect it. If Im not happy, I have 7 days to bring it back for another car. This would just create a lot more running around, paperwork and trips back and fourth to the dealership. Besides, there is no other car on their lot that Im interested in, and obviously you wouldnt get your money back. Regardless, its just creates a lot more fiasco for nothing when you can easily avoid it.

If they cant allow this, then I wont buy the car. Just from past experiences in car buying, I always inspect it with my mech before buying any car.
    Last edited by ChickenPho; 04-03-2015 at 08:12 AM.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Kind of sounds suspicious but if their certification is like other manufacturers, it would need to go through a higher level of inspections. I would just talk to their manager and tell them this is important to you and you are going to buy a car elsewhere if they do not allow you to have it inspected at your mechanic. Bottom line, if something doesn't feel right, don't do it.

What kind of car is it anyway and what is the red flag?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Ask them to take the car for a test drive (by yourself). Take it to the mechanic?

At the end of the day, super shady if they won't let you have an independent inspection done.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 01:05 AM.

Look for another car

Originally posted by jdmXSI
    Kind of sounds suspicious but if their certification is like other manufacturers, it would need to go through a higher level of inspections. I would just talk to their manager and tell them this is important to you and you are going to buy a car elsewhere if they do not allow you to have it inspected at your mechanic. Bottom line, if something doesn't feel right, don't do it.

What kind of car is it anyway and what is the red flag?
    Its a 2012 Accord Coupe V6.

The red flag is the tranny flush done there using a flushing machine.
    Im shocked Honda dealerships have these machines seeing that their recommended way to flush a tranny is 3-4 drain and fills.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Ask them to take the car for a test drive (by yourself). Take it to the mechanic?

At the end of the day, super shady if they won't let you have an independent inspection done.
    I could ask for a test drive by myself, but highly doubt they allow it. I know some private and very small used car sales lots will allow it, but dealerships? Even though they have nothing to worry about, if I take off with the car, they can easily get me arrested since they have my drivers license, and all my contact info.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    They are hiding something, I've never had an issue doing a 3rd party inspection

Don't buy it and buy into the BS they will let you return it either

I would just get serious with them, either let a 3rd party inspect it, or you walk. You should walk if they refuse.
    Have you bought from T&T before? I always thought this specific dealer has a good reputation. Im not looking for a dealership with 5 star ratings but at least one where theres no BS and this is why I came to T&T.

I will ask to speaker with the manager there and see what it says.
    Last edited by ChickenPho; 04-03-2015 at 08:32 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I took my truck for a test drive by myself, they had no issues with it at all, just told me to be back by closing.

This was at CMP
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I wouldn't buy it without doing your own inspection, that doesn't seem right...

Go back and be firm. Tell them you're getting a 3rd party inspection or not buying. Start walking away.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Walk away. If it was good why would they avoid it

My Ride
    Ford

ive taken many cars for test drive by self. and didnt buy any of them.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Tranny flush machines can do more damage than good. I know someone who had a transmission flush done and within a week the transmission failed.

My Ride
    A3

T&T honda is reputable dealer so I'm guessing they dont want you to do an inspection because they have already done one. if it was a shady used lot that would be a different storey.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 03:50 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

You're sure putting a lot of thought into this. Walk away. It's not like this car is rare or anything. There will be others.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    You're sure putting a lot of thought into this. Walk away. It's not like this car is rare or anything. There will be others.
    This.

Seriously, it is a 3 year old Accord. You can find them anywhere...

Your story either makes me think there is more to the story, and the dealer is fed up with you, or has reason to believe you have no intention of buying it, so why risk letting it go out.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by firebane
    Tranny flush machines can do more damage than good. I know someone who had a transmission flush done and within a week the transmission failed.
    Not good. This could be a deal breaker for me.The only reason I see why they would use the machines is because they are a lot quicker than doing 3 drain and fills.

Originally posted by Cos

Maybe they know they have a decent car and don't want to bother wasting time on you/it.
    Thats exactly it. They swear a 3rd party inspection is not needed.

Originally posted by spikerS

Your story either makes me think there is more to the story, and the dealer is fed up with you, or has reason to believe you have no intention of buying it, so why risk letting it go out.
    This is the whole story. Ive only made one visit to the dealership and only test driven it once. We actually moved ahead pretty quickly. Im not one who likes to draw out deals.
    Last edited by ChickenPho; 04-03-2015 at 09:15 AM.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

3x drain and fill is the preferred method. Unless the price is really attractive, I'd wait for another one. The 6spd is a blast BTW.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 01:05 AM.

OP I'd take this personally (race or the way you look, I'm guessing) as there is no logical reason for T & T not allowing a third party inspection. It's you they don't like or trust.

Tell them to stuff it or wear a hidden camera and record the entire process for a nice mini-doc.

My Ride
    something green

I went through the same scenario at another brand name dealer. The dealer insisted their shop inspection was as grade A as can be, their mechs were certified journeyman and all was above board blah blah. I held out for a few days, dealer caved and vehicle went in for a third party inspection, which it subsequently failed.
    If you are willing to pay for it and it helps the sale, it shouldn't even be an issue.
    Last edited by Maxt; 04-03-2015 at 10:58 AM.
    Too loud for Aspen

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast