Quantcast
Calgary Police Service patrol rifle stolen during car prowling Saturday, April 4 2015 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Police Service patrol rifle stolen during car prowling Saturday, April 4 2015

Default Calgary Police Service patrol rifle stolen during car prowling Saturday, April 4 2015

Calgary Police Service patrol rifle stolen during car prowling

Calgary-Police-

Calgary, Alberta -

The Calgary Police Service is seeking public assistance in a car prowling that took place yesterday night. During the evening of Saturday, April 4, 2015, an off duty CPS member attended a restaurant in the 0-100 block of Crowfoot Terrace N.W. where he parked his personal vehicle in the parking lot.

Inside his vehicle, was a police issue patrol rifle inside a locked hard covered carrying case that he had taken home to clean while off duty. Also within the locked case were two magazines containing 28 rounds each.

When he returned to his vehicle he found that the vehicle had been broken into and the patrol rifle case and contents had been taken.

Investigators are canvassing the area for CCTV footage and trying to determine if other vehicles were also targeted.

If anyone witnessed or has information about the circumstances surrounding this incident please contact police at 403-266-1234 or Crime Stoppers anonymously using any of the following methods:

TALK:1-800-222-8477
    TYPE: www.calgarycrimestoppers.org
    TEXT: tttTIPS to 274637

CASE # 15134995

Calgary Police Service

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Someone is gonna get fired.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Sophal
    Someone is gonna get fired.
    For what? Properly securing his firearm in a locked case in a locked car and having some degenerate criminal target his vehicle. Break In. And steal the carbine?

To the best of my knowledge its up the his department head ( police chief ) to decide if off duty use of issued firearms is allowed. I doubt he was contravening this.

Your statement is just victim blaming.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

I was going to post this as a new thread earlier but, being reddit as my only source, I didn't. I thought it had to be BS. But now this all makes sense.

Police setup roadblocks and demand to search people's cars

So a cop gets his rifle jacked from his personal vehicle so the CPS setup roadblocks and do a mass search of people's cars. Threatening them with detainment (waiting for a warrant they would never get) if they don't comply.

Is this the the procedure if a personal firearm of a civilian gets stolen? Nope. But cause it was a cop the CPS see fit to intimidate everyone in the area with a warrant-less search of their vehicles. To cover their ass....er...I mean...promote public safety.

I cannot believe these searches happened. Unacceptable. Being that this guy posted this reddit thread before the news broke I suspect he's legit.

If this happened the CPS acted like a bunch of cunts.
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 04-05-2015 at 08:28 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    I was going to post this as a new thread earlier but, being reddit as my only source, I didn't. I thought it had to be BS. But now this all makes sense.

Police setup roadblocks and demand to search people's cars

So a cop gets his rifle jacked from his personal vehicle so the CPS setup roadblocks and do a mass search of people's cars. Threatening them with detainment (waiting for a warrant they would never get) if they don't comply.

Is the the procedure if a personal firearm of a civilian gets stolen? Nope. But cause it was a cop the CPS see fit to intimidate everyone in the area with a warrant-less search of their vehicles. To cover their ass....er...I mean...promote public safety.

I cannot believe these searches happened. Unacceptable. Being that this guy posted this reddit thread before the news broke I suspect he's legit.

If this happened the CPS acted like a bunch of cunts.
    Thats fucked. No excuse...

but it is an automatic rifle with full capacity magazines to be fair... A bit different than a civilian long gun.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

yawn.......if you have nothing illegal in your car and its a quick detention who cares.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by killramos

Thats fucked. No excuse...

but it is an automatic rifle with full capacity magazines to be fair... A bit different than a civilian long gun.
    Yeah but a bullet is a bullet. One shot takes a life. It is as dangerous as a long gun in that respect. But yes, full auto is worse. But think of how many illegal full auto guns are on the streets right now. If CPS catches wind of a sale do they roadblock 10 blocks and search everyone? No. This was an abuse of power to cover up a major CPS fuck up.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by OU812
    yawn.......if you have nothing illegal in your car and its a quick detention who cares.
    Because it's a violation of a person's rights. Pesky "rights". Gawd, only criminals need those.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

First post doesn't really tell the full story...

Link from global:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1922229/pa...e-members-car/

Sounds like the officer took this rifle home to clean it, despite it not being common practice, or even allowed.

From the limited info, I for some reason feel like this was an inside job. I mean the chances of that particular car being broken into, in what I assume was a decently busy parking lot are pretty slim. And the fact that there was a fairly valuable rifle inside, which from the article sounds like shouldn't have even been there make it seem even more improbable.

On the other hand though, I don't know why the officer would risk all this attention and his job to get a rifle into someone else's hands.

This was an abuse of power to cover up a major CPS fuck up.
    How does bringing more attention to the situation help to "cover it up" exactly? I see what your saying but I don't see any attempt to cover anything up here.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Isn't it unlawful to transport a firearm unless it is being taken directly from point A to point B, with either being your home or a designated range,etc? Stopping for a burger along the way would technically be in violation of the law.

That's it, 15-20 years in the gulag for this guy... Should "High River" every officer's residence just to make a point.

Yeah but a bullet is a bullet. One shot takes a life. It is as dangerous as a long gun in that respect. But yes, full auto is worse. But think of how many illegal full auto guns are on the streets right now. If CPS catches wind of a sale do they roadblock 10 blocks and search everyone? No. This was an abuse of power to cover up a major CPS fuck up.
    How recent was the theft to the roadblocks?

I feel the same would happen if the Shooting Edge/Wholesale Sports were robbed and they got on scene soon after.

But if it was hours old it is kinda pointless.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

The RC knocked on the door, no one answered so.............

My Ride
    Has AWD

ive had my vehicle searched before without a warrant, nothing was found, and they didnt do a boarder security rip my car apart so it wasnt brutal, unpleasant situation yes, but not as bad as it could have been.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by e31
    Isn't it unlawful to transport a firearm unless it is being taken directly from point A to point B, with either being your home or a designated range,etc? Stopping for a burger along the way would technically be in violation of the law.

That's it, 15-20 years in the gulag for this guy... Should "High River" every officer's residence just to make a point.
    Issued firearms are exempt from the firearms act. So no.

fact.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

How does bringing more attention to the situation help to "cover it up" exactly? I see what your saying but I don't see any attempt to cover anything up here.
    I agree...lets say "mitigate" instead of cover-up. And say they had "mitigated" the situation as a result of the searches would they have released a statement to the media, reporting the rifle as stolen? The story broke HOURS AFTER the rifle was stolen. They told the media because they are trying to locate it.

Had they located it via mass searches it wouldn't be "breaking news". But that is an assumption on my part.

They hoped to mitigate a CPS fuck up. Hows that?

They hoped to mitigate a CPS fuck up. Hows that?
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by Nitro5

How recent was the theft to the roadblocks?

I feel the same would happen if the Shooting Edge/Wholesale Sports were robbed and they got on scene soon after.

But if it was hours old it is kinda pointless.
    The theft and roadblocks were more than 20 hours ago. Last night. Nothing on the news this AM about it so i figured it was a BS reddit post. But now, hours later, there is news about a missing assault rifle as the CPS let the media know in an attempt to find it after their iffy roadblocks and warrantless searches didn't work.

Hence my suspicion of "cover up". Or "mitigation". Had they located the weapon by searching vehicles without a warrant I doubt the theft would be in the news. Try one thing, didn't work, shit, ok contact the media.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Originally posted by killramos

For what? Properly securing his firearm in a locked case in a locked car and having some degenerate criminal target his vehicle. Break In. And steal the carbine?

To the best of my knowledge its up the his department head ( police chief ) to decide if off duty use of issued firearms is allowed. I doubt he was contravening this.

Your statement is just victim blaming.
    Maybe read this http://globalnews.ca/news/1922229/pa...e-members-car/

Edit
    If this was to happen to me I would be facing some serious charges. But I don't stop at shanks for wings and a beer on my way home from the range, like this sworn member.
    Last edited by Sophal; 04-05-2015 at 09:20 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by e31

Depends on the firearm.

My ATT allows me to transport a firearm for which I am in legal possession of to any approved club or range in the province of Alberta or to international border crossings provided I have the proper US documentation as well. The departure and return points will be a point of storage identified to the CFP by the license holder.

It states that transportation must be reasonably direct. There is no legal definition of reasonable direct and it can include getting gas, picking people up, stopping for food or stopping for the bathroom. All depends on the situation.

By definition, it appears that the officer only broke department policy (if that), not any of the laws relating to firearms.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast