Quantcast
$30 barrel oil? - Page 47 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 47 of 81 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast

Thread: $30 barrel oil?

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People always forget the key part of the rise of EVs. Just as oil is a finite resource so is lithium. As of 2018 there is estimated 14 million tons of lithium in the world with over half of that in Chile.

Right now nearly half of all lithium mined goes to battery production (it’s also used for glass, lubrications, polymers, and medical as well). The typical model S uses 63kg of lithium [2016 figure]

About 100,000 tons were mined last year, assuming half went to batteries and half of that was just to Tesla (estimating) that’s only 400k cars max they could produce in theory.

Unless they’ve shifted to a more efficient metal or better battery design there just isn’t the possibility for EVs to take over a majority of vehicles for many many decades to come without huge amount of expansions with lithium mines.

And the batteries only last a couple decades as well. It’ll be curious to see how we deal with supply issues down the road and used batteries becoming an expensive commodity
    Its wild that people can't reconcile the simple logistical problem EV's and a "green economy" have given current materials and science being applied. What you quoted and many other issues are brought up in this article:

https://fee.org/articles/41-inconven...nergy-economy/
    41 Inconvenient Truths on the "New Energy Economy"

Lets say that even 50% of this article is "Fake News", there are still severe unmitigated factors pushing against EVs and a shift towards large scale adoption.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:28 AM.

"Renewal hydrocarbons".

Where the fuck is my tree powered car?

Your examples are almost so ridiculous I can't believe you believe them.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Basically, we have to resign ourselves to the fact that long-term trends pushing against conventional oil are not going away and we should get on board before it's too late.
    In what scenario can you see it being "too late" for us to get on board? If ANY of these other fuels or technologies gets significantly cheaper and better and more widely available, it will be very easy to "get on board" at that time. Until then, being an early adopter is over expensive virtue-signalling.

Unless you mean the government transforming our economy, in which case, I have news for you, governments don't run, steer or control the economy.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 09-16-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    In what scenario can you see it being "too late" for us to get on board?
    He/She is probably one of those people that think the world will end within a decade if we don't get off fossil fuels. At least.....that's how I'm interpreting what they said.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:27 AM.

I should have said "can run on pure ethanol" but they sell different blends, e.g. E85 is 85% ethanol from sugarcane grown in Brazil. I also mentioned fuel cells which are way more efficient and clean and use the same fuel with no combustion.
    Why would I not "believe in my examples" when they are so easily verifiable? Should I also not "believe in mountains" or that the sky is blue? You sound like a guy in 1985 saying "a handheld computer that makes phonecalls and videos? ridiculous!"

I'm not saying that, scientists are, I'm just some he/she on the internet.
    Oh god, fuel cells.

The problem is not about verifying some shit, it's about whether these things are scalable and actually useful. And biorenewable ethanol is not scalable. Having airplanes with lithium batteries is not feasible (fuck, having cars with lithium batteries is not feasible)

Do the laws of thermodynamics just not apply to you?

Dude, energy is really really straightforward. It's not "inventing something", it's 100% about preventing entropy.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well aside from all the NG, Alberta could rival Brazil in ethanol production if it wanted to but I digress. I just mean accepting and learning from things we've known about for a long time but don't like to acknowledge.
    People who live near transport hubs - airports, train yards, ports, highways - have a much higher rate of cancer and other nasty diseases from NoX and carbon particulates. But instead we focus on "CO2 global heating and "saving the planet." What about saving people and society from the burden of disease? It's one good reason for doing something instead of waiting and I also believe this coming tech will scale very quickly once implemented, so time is not necessarily on our side.
    Doesn't mean the oil industry is going anywhere, but it will grow more efficient, which doesn't always increase the job rate, unfortunately. But then, Saudi Arabia got bombed.
    Oh, too late for the environment. I totally misunderstood what you were saying. I disagree, but at least I know what you mean now.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I'm not saying that, scientists are, I'm just some he/she on the internet.
    The majority of scientists are not saying this. Its hard for me to fathom people can honestly think like this. The only way to reconcile this in my head is knowing people will find a narrative that they want to believe and stick to it.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

No not exactly, I mean doing more things like this: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/cana...struction.html

Largest solar farm in Canada is being built here in Alberta, will produce enough power for 100,000 homes. A small but important step in the right direction in reducing Alberta's reliance on fossils fuels both as an energy source and as an industry.

So then what do you call creating a $30M-per-year propaganda "war-room" to do the bidding of a billion dollar industry?

If you think that following the example of failed petrostates in creating "enemies of the state" is a good strategy, then I have news for you too, it never ends well.

I think extra is talking more Macro.

- - - Updated - - -

Its hard for me to fathom people can honestly think like this.

The only way to reconcile this in my head is knowing people will find a narrative that they want to believe and stick to it.

Works both ways? Believe what you want.
    Ya, you got me there. But the science I choose to believe is actua science. There is a hypothesis, actual data (not projections) and a conclusion drawn from the data. Not cherry picked in any way to fit a narrative. BIg difference
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 09-16-2019 at 08:09 PM.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

@01RedDX do you feel climate change is something we should be taking on a global scale or each individual nation should come up with their own reductions/methods? Reason I ask is because Canada is such a small part of the climate chang discussion and I feel we are better suited to help in other ways than to reduce our emissions. Let help China, India and the like get to where we are
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 09-16-2019 at 08:17 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Ahhh election year. Always nice to see the crazies coming out of the woodwork to show their true colours.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

We are funding friends of science?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

lol based on your past few posts it is pretty rich to claim to have an understanding of anything resembling reality.

But that’s fine, enjoy being a sheep fed at the trough by special interests groups and the corrupt trying to desperately squeeze more control out of an ever more fearful populace. Today it’s CO2, last year it was the Russians, next year it will be eating meat.

The idea that humanity has anything resembling control of the climate is the height of hubris. The level of arrogance we have reached is truly astounding.

I can’t wait to see what a boondoggle your beloved solar farm will become, the law of unintended consequences is a bitch and it will probably be far worse for the environment than any of the CO2 it displaces. I’m just sad that these stupid pet projects all inevitably end up with taxpayers holding the bag and the “well intentioned” gone with the wind.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 47 of 81 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast