$30 barrel oil? - Page 65 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 65 of 81 FirstFirst ... 55 64 65 66 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1615

Thread: $30 barrel oil?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You couldn’t make this shit up if you tried
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Part sarcastic, part serious. Removing CO2 from the air certainly doesn't seem to have any real effect on the environment from a scientific standpoint. But like you said, we have proven we can accomplish CO2 capture. So if that is the main issue the government has, than why don't we just start adding CO2 capture to every project and then rubber stamping them?
    Because it's not really about CO2. It's about "BIG OIL". People are pissed that they have to pay $1.50 for gas. People think they can slap on some solar panels on their house and they can go tell the utility company to go fuck themselves. Because people are utter fucking morons. People think everybody can buy a Tesla and they can cavort around charging their battery for $2/month.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

"Yeah so what's the problem?" - Druh Farrell
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Why bother? Just sequester CO2. The technology is now proven and it's getting cheaper all the time.
    That doesn’t help when the product is used for fuel and burnt elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    That doesn’t help when the product is used for fuel and burnt elsewhere.
    What the hell am I reading?

So it becomes carbon positive when it's burnt elsewhere?

My Ride
    Trucks

What the hell am I reading?

So it becomes carbon positive when it's burnt elsewhere?
    I’m assuming carbon capture is going to take place at the point of production, which would satisfy the government emission limits. Carbon capture will not help when the fuel is burnt later on, which is why protesters want the oil to stay in the ground. Two different concerns.

I’m assuming carbon capture is going to take place at the point of production, which would satisfy the government emission limits. Carbon capture will not help when the fuel is burnt later on, which is why protesters want the oil to stay in the ground. Two different concerns.
    No, what I'm saying is that the amount of CO2 put back in covers even burning. It's truly carbon negative.

https://www.iea.org/commentaries/can...n-negative-oil

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

No, what I'm saying is that the amount of CO2 put back in covers even burning. It's truly carbon negative.

Don't try to math your way out of a problem that is 100% based on feelings. It feels like it's better if the oil stays in the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Don't try to math your way out of a problem that is 100% based on feelings. It feels like it's better if the oil stays in the ground.
    Name:  you-have-stolen-my-dreams-and-my-childhood-getting-that-cobalt-for-your-electric-cars-fast-as-i-.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  114.1 KB

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Name:  you-have-stolen-my-dreams-and-my-childhood-getting-that-cobalt-for-your-electric-cars-fast-as-i-.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  114.1 KB
    Best meme ever

My Ride
    Trucks

Classic pyramid scheme. I’m sure Amway memberships come up out of the ground with the negative-carbon oil too.

Its lithium NICKEL cobalt, don't forget the nickel.

That being said: Its not like you actually burn the cobalt and it dissipates into the atmosphere. If properly recovered, you literally can re-melt and pass down your lithium batteries to your grandkids. Where as all you pass down to your kids with carbon is lung cancer.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Classic pyramid scheme. I’m sure Amway memberships come up out of the ground with the negative-carbon oil too.
    If carbon emissions was the problem, this would be a legitimate solution. There exists the technology to remove carbon dioxide from ambient air in a fairly efficient manner.

However, I am not convinced that atmospheric carbon dioxide is the reason people want to shut down petroleum extraction projects.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Your gaslighting makes flares in Texas look positively tiny.

No this is not the narrative climate hysterics are pushing. Otherwise they would be protesting in other countries, and not worrying about carbon negative Canada.

https://cleantechnica.com/2014/09/04...nds-10-charts/

I get the feeling this is the year that photovoltaic matches crude in Gigajoules MMBtu "per dollar" at least at "retail solar panel module" pricing. Probably going to see more and more people go battery-less and just do supplementary direct heating in Canada (assuming the new solar panels last at least 10 years, but preferably 25)

The gigantic downside of having to buy a lead acid battery and controller may no longer be a barrier to solar - In cold climates. IE: If you can heat the baseboards of your basement to 23 Celsius, it will carry over quite a bit into the nighttime into warmth for the entire house. In the two hottest months of the year. Simply turn the switch off the panels. Scary thought that panels may get so cheap that no one thinks twice about shutting them off for a couple months - but we are nearing that strategy and/or somehow figure out a variable Airconditioner that works well at unstable voltages and wattages.

Preferrably you would have an electric car in the summer with adequate solar controller circuitry that you don't have to run mains voltage to charge up.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-16-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    https://cleantechnica.com/2014/09/04...nds-10-charts/

I get the feeling this is the year that photovoltaic matches crude in Gigajoules MMBtu "per dollar" at least at "retail solar panel module" pricing. Probably going to see more and more people go battery-less and just do supplementary direct heating in Canada (assuming the new solar panels last at least 10 years, but preferably 25)

The gigantic downside of having to buy a lead acid battery and controller may no longer be a barrier to solar - In cold climates. IE: If you can heat the baseboards of your basement to 23 Celsius, it will carry over quite a bit into the nighttime into warmth for the entire house. In the two hottest months of the year. Simply turn the switch off the panels. Scary thought that panels may get so cheap that no one thinks twice about shutting them off for a couple months - but we are nearing that strategy and/or somehow figure out a variable Airconditioner that works well at unstable voltages and wattages.

Preferrably you would have an electric car in the summer with adequate solar controller circuitry that you don't have to run mains voltage to charge up.
    That’s a good idea with the basement, but it sound better in theory.

My basement is glycol In-floor heated. We sort of use that strategy in the spring/fall months and try to have the furnace hardly work.

Problem is the basement is not useable in the day. Too hot.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

The other ducttape way to store solar heat without need of a battery is to simply run it to a closed loop or completely isolated electric hot water tank. Direct electrical heating is trivial, storing the heat in a way that releases heat evenly and slowly - not so much.

Heating up 40 gallons of water to 140 degrees F would definitely be above scalding, but you probably want a system that is high enough chlorine (or something less corrosive) and temperature to keep the stale water from forming bacteria, or I guess you could just flush the water every so often.

But it definitely can be done, it might just be a matter of a slightly worse insulated hot water tank (too well insulated means too much hot water makes it to morningtime)

The appeal of a 100 watt solar panel creating direct heat for 25 years for as much as the sun shines is obvious. I'm testing a $6 thermostatic ceramic heating element as I post this, which is great for moving and concentrating spot heat, but terrible for storing heat (unless of course, I put it under a tank of water)
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-17-2020 at 05:14 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5473370

Not overly surprised by this. But man oh man. Death by 1000 cuts.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5473370

Not overly surprised by this. But man oh man. Death by 1000 cuts.
    I don't understand why Teck would withdraw their application for Frontier when they could wait for Trudeau to kill it and then blame him. It's days away.

Page 65 of 81 FirstFirst ... 55 64 65 66 75 ... LastLast