Quantcast
$30 barrel oil? - Page 63 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 63 of 81 FirstFirst ... 53 62 63 64 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1615

Thread: $30 barrel oil?

I think the libs have a unique opportunity here... they can approve the mine to save face with AB knowing full well the likelihood of being built is very low. Avoids scaring off foreign investment, yet GHG goals not impacted if it doesn't start operating.

It can be a win/win if they play their cards right.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

But that doesn’t give them room to virtue signal, meeting GHG goals is meaningless if they can’t PR what they are doing to meet them.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    If Frontier actually gets approval, it’ll be promptly sold to CNRL...Teck likely won’t have anything to do with it.
    "The Empire" ever expanding.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

This is actually a decent CBC interview for once, they asked Finance Minister Morneau some decent questions.

One thing that came out (even though Bill denied it as usual) is that there is a financial aid package ready to AB - for when the Teck deal gets denied.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1695208003967/

Around the 6 min mark.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So if its denied they (feds) are going to give us 20 billion instead?

What side of the river was this mine supposed to go? cnrl side or fort hills side?

My Ride

^ I doubt it would be anything of that amount, probably more retraining, incentivizing new industry, etc. The fliberals know we dont give a shit about Ottawa here, so it will be the minimum amount possible.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Great with 20 Billion we could cover the provincial health budget for a single year (actually it was 22 Billion last year).

If they deny the Teck mine, it's the final nail in the coffin for the Alberta energy sector.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

With the way the fliberals think - they have nil votes in the West so if they shut this down, they still have nil votes in the West.

Nothing lost and more votes gained in the virtue signalling provinces.

Wexit will just gain more momentum because of this.
    Last edited by revelations; 02-11-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    With the way the fliberals think - they have nil votes in the West so if they shut this down, they still have nil votes in the West.

Nothing lost and more votes gained in the virtue signalling provinces.

Wexit will just gain more momentum because of this.
    That's what really makes no sense about any of this. There really no votes to gain by virtue signaling. The voters that support this nonsense rhetoric are the minority by a long shot, and they already vote for the crooked Liberals regardless. By not approving the project, the government leaves billions in potential tax revenue on the table, which is actually quite a bit to lose. And if they did approve the project, they very well stand to potentially swing more voters out west than if they deny the project. There is literally no upside to cancelling the project, only downside. This is what makes it a lot easier to buy into the whole one world order conspiracy.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    That's what really makes no sense about any of this. There really no votes to gain by virtue signaling. The voters that support this nonsense rhetoric are the minority by a long shot, and they already vote for the crooked Liberals regardless. By not approving the project, the government leaves billions in potential tax revenue on the table, which is actually quite a bit to lose. And if they did approve the project, they very well stand to potentially swing more voters out west than if they deny the project. There is literally no upside to cancelling the project, only downside. This is what makes it a lot easier to buy into the whole one world order conspiracy.
    Yea I guess I see it as no votes for Trudeau as long as he in power, from the West. If anything, the momentum has been increased further away from Ottawa.

In the fliberals view, enviro concerns >>>> budgetary concerns. Its like basic macro economics mean fuck all to them.

We should protect an endangered fruit fly in Quebec, so lets have 20,000 Albertans lose their jobs (yes, a hyperbole).

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I wonder if they're worried about westxit rhetoric and a struggling Saskatchewan screwing with confederation? Perhaps they know they get no votes but they realize there is something worse than no votes?

I was chatting with a quebecer yesterday and he said, you know why the west is ignored? Cause they don't do anything major and always vote the same. Conservatives don't need to campaign, liberals don't need to bother, and we will just grumble. Quebec isn't like that.

I think that sentiment might be changing a bit? Not sure more a question but some of the high-level points seem to resonate.
    Cos...

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I dont think anyone takes "wexit" seriously. I know I dont.

I heard Teck is putting up a 1 MW solar installation, just to say they put up a solar installation.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    I wonder if they're worried about westxit rhetoric and a struggling Saskatchewan screwing with confederation? Perhaps they know they get no votes but they realize there is something worse than no votes?

I was chatting with a quebecer yesterday and he said, you know why the west is ignored? Cause they don't do anything major and always vote the same. Conservatives don't need to campaign, liberals don't need to bother, and we will just grumble. Quebec isn't like that.

I think that sentiment might be changing a bit? Not sure more a question but some of the high-level points seem to resonate.
    That is the way things go and it's not just here. All the US swing states get way more campaigning, more promises, more pandering because they know those are the places that you need to win.

Quebec votes between the left parties and keeps changing which makes all the parties pander to them (granted their larger population also helps a lot too) whereas Alberta is kinda pointless for anyone to try and win over.

There is literally nothing the federal liberals could do to actually win a majority in our province because its so ingrained to hate the liberals here. So as a result they don't try, they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    That is the way things go and it's not just here. All the US swing states get way more campaigning, more promises, more pandering because they know those are the places that you need to win.

Quebec votes between the left parties and keeps changing which makes all the parties pander to them (granted their larger population also helps a lot too) whereas Alberta is kinda pointless for anyone to try and win over.

There is literally nothing the federal liberals could do to actually win a majority in our province because its so ingrained to hate the liberals here. So as a result they don't try, they don't care.
    It's not that they don't try, it's that they actively pursue actions with heavy negative consequences to Alberta and the west in general. I totally understand the sentiment to not try in the west, and focus on the east where elections are decided. But what I don't understand is actively flushing potential tax revenue down the shitter that you could give to Quebec or whatever, for policies that don't matter one bit to the east and don't cost any votes out that way? It makes zero sense what they are doing in Ottawa right now.

My Ride

It's not that they don't try, it's that they actively pursue actions with heavy negative consequences to Alberta and the west in general. I totally understand the sentiment to not try in the west, and focus on the east where elections are decided. But what I don't understand is actively flushing potential tax revenue down the shitter that you could give to Quebec or whatever, for policies that don't matter one bit to the east and don't cost any votes out that way? It makes zero sense what they are doing in Ottawa right now.
    Ottawa is not thinking (in this example) about long term funding for QC, and how with AB drying up, their tit milking is going to disappear. They are clearly just thinking short term and perhaps about an election in 2 years time.

If they kill off and kick Ab when we are down, it will just get them way more votes in the East. 5 years from now though, QC and Ottawa will be in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Ottawa is not thinking (in this example) about long term funding for QC, and how with AB drying up, their tit milking is going to disappear. They are clearly just thinking short term and perhaps about an election in 2 years time.

If they kill off and kick Ab when we are down, it will just get them way more votes in the East. 5 years from now though, QC and Ottawa will be in serious trouble.
    Ok so where are these extra votes in the east coming from by spitting in the face of Alberta and the west? Anyone that would cast a vote for the left based on the party saying "Fuck you Alberta, bend over and take it dry you hillbillies!", is already voting left. And anyone with a hard on for Liberal policies, isn't going to start voting Conservative because the Liberals allow business to function in Alberta. So again I'll say it. They aren't thinking long term OR short term. They are purely flushing potential tax revenue down the toilet and NOT thinking at all. They are either completely incompetent as far as understanding the average voter, or there is some wild conspiracy taking place. There is not one shred of downside for the Liberals to approve projects and get the country back to work. Only upside. So unless they are worried about a few minority greentards hijacking the entire federal election and losing power to the NDP or Greens, then everything that is happening right now is pure insanity.
    Last edited by Misterman; 02-12-2020 at 09:10 PM.

My Ride

There is not one shred of downside for the Liberals to approve projects
    I dont think you understand the leftist delusion that is taking place in Ontario and Quebec - and how much they despise AB. There is a LOT of downside for them appearing to work with AB.

Their elected leaders will actively cheer at the demise of Ab and the federal liberals will claim a 'green victory' (or some other horseshit phrase) in Canada as now we can meet some Co2 target. This will serve to please QC and Ontario - short term only.
    Last edited by revelations; 02-12-2020 at 09:42 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

The province voting NDP wasn't something we thought would happen in a million years and yet...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    The province voting NDP wasn't something we thought would happen in a million years and yet...
    A protest vote that only happened because the right was split.

Look at the last election: it represents the past, and also the future of Alberta.

Page 63 of 81 FirstFirst ... 53 62 63 64 73 ... LastLast