Quantcast
$30 barrel oil? - Page 69 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 59 68 69 70 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1615

Thread: $30 barrel oil?

I'm going to jump on the crazy train and make a suggestion to big oilsands.

Instead of using natural gas to extract low grade crude - How about burning natural gas to melt silicon to make solar panels? If you run the numbers you actually get more MMBTU going solar (as long as you stretch it out 10 years) than all of the runaround trying to heat up frozen rock, extract and refine crude. Sure it still burns *some* carbon, but if the world decides to ditch the combustion engine car, then it might be the right move.

It would take a very long time to ramp up, as high quality silicon ingots take two weeks to cool from molten - But it could be done.

As mentioned before, it would totally destroy every patent holder (like Ford) and repair shop (electric cars basically have very little to diagnose as a "problem", and can last for 50 years before needing repair) But, you can't hold it back forever?

Strange phenomena in India seems to be catching on, When a TATA combustion car is too expensive to repair (too difficult to diagnose the thousands of parts any one of which can cause failure) within a few years - take out the combustion engine entirely and go electric. Run a diesel generator to charge battery on off times. True testament to the idea that people eventually find the best solution themselves.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-29-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So we were discussing federal and provincial investments in energy infrastructure early in the week. Did anything get announced? I anticipate hating whatever it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So we were discussing federal and provincial investments in energy infrastructure early in the week. Did anything get announced? I anticipate hating whatever it is.
    Nope. Nothing yet.

I was expecting Seamus to announce the aid package... But as it was pointed out that was only going to occur if feds veto'd it. Thus Teck withdrawing it - let them off the hook.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

http://www.x-site-energy.com/

When bozos admit they're bozos.. They'll rebrand soon enough im sure.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Not infrastructure but the province expanded the loan to the OWA by $100 million in the budget.

Carbon was fine for building a country, but now that is more or less finished with a half decent electrical system (which arguably isn't really necessary if you have local generation like rooftop solar) then it doesn't make as much sense to continue using crude, especially if it is capitally and energy intensive to extract.

It totally understandable. Oilsands is seen as "last resort" for many investors. Its literally like opening up the SPAM tins, which might actually be better off saving for future generations if there is some sort of decades long energy disaster (like a 100 year nuclear winter fallout, or meteorite impact)
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

So despite the current global ongoings, it seems the USA has a point to prove.

Today EIA data released shows the states - yet again - setting a new record.

13,100,000 bbls/d.

Even though I predicted it, I’m starting to feel amazed.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Le...s=WCRFPUS2&f=W

Fun fact, USA production has gone up 1 million barrels year over year for early March.

Canada? Closed.
    @ExtraSlow
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

At this point I halfway hope they produce so much oil goes to $10/bbl. Let the market prove supply and demand still works.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Suncor applied for their oil sands base mine replacement, they're expecting 6 years of regulatory hoops to get it approved so that it's operational for 2030, pretty crazy

I'd be hesitant to put money down on anything right about now. Assuming negative interest rates, the fundamentals of investing in socks to diamonds to refridgerators must come into question.

Which actually begs the question are US dollars on their last legs, and why would anyone sell oil for them? The second question is of course, if the USA is $23 trillion in debt, are negative interest rates "cheating" the rest of the world? IF you do -6% interest in one decade you can technically eliminate a $100 Trillion debt (or any number for that matter) at the expense of anyone who is crazy enough to keep on holding US dollars.

I don't want a $20 slice of avocado toast (which arguably Canada must sell one entire barrel of oil to afford), and Hollywood lost to the Korean "Parasite". The best way to waste 99 US cents is on a gatcha game made in Asia.

If there is an easy way to ditch the USA, let me know. $40,000 bitcoin possible?

Nasa Sucks.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 03-05-2020 at 10:14 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Suncor applied for their oil sands base mine replacement, they're expecting 6 years of regulatory hoops to get it approved so that it's operational for 2030, pretty crazy
    A 6 year regulatory process (they're actually calling it 7 because they started in 2019 according to their IPD) isn't really out of the ordinary. Syncrude MLX was a mine extension 1/3 the size of BMX and the total regulatory process was about 7 years...initiation in 2012, regulatory application submission in 2014 and approval in 2019. And that only went through the AER process...a federal review wasn't triggered.

The new federal process front-loads a bunch of the effort...hopefully to help address some of the back end concerns we have seen with previous applications (though I may be overly optimistic).

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    A 6 year regulatory process (they're actually calling it 7 because they started in 2019 according to their IPD) isn't really out of the ordinary. Syncrude MLX was a mine extension 1/3 the size of BMX and the total regulatory process was about 7 years...initiation in 2012, regulatory application submission in 2014 and approval in 2019. And that only went through the AER process...a federal review wasn't triggered.

The new federal process front-loads a bunch of the effort...hopefully to help address some of the back end concerns we have seen with previous applications (though I may be overly optimistic).
    Definitely not out of the ordinary. Just shows how hard it is to get things approved given this isn't even a new mine, just a extension of their existing operations.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Definitely not out of the ordinary. Just shows how hard it is to get things approved given this isn't even a new mine, just a extension of their existing operations.
    To be fair, it is a 20,000 ha footprint which includes an external tailings area and some processing facilities so it is fairly substantial...I think Teck was 25,000-28,000 ha for context.

But regardless of the size, once people hear oil sands mine, everything is irrelevant. That was the issue with Syncrude MLX...7,000 ha footprint which included 2 mine pits, some ODA and RMS areas, a bridge over the MacKay and it did not include any new tailings features. Regulatory approval should have been a more simple process but that wasn't the case.

My Ride
    Silverado

Supreme court will not hear a challenge to the TMX approval.

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-p...1-c7bb0330287e

- - - Updated - - -

Corona Virus causes larger drop in oil consumption than the 2009 financial crisis.
    https://calgaryherald.com/commoditie...f-b8995cdd7abf

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Supreme court will not hear a challenge to the TMX approval.

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-p...1-c7bb0330287e
    Good for TMX, but long term is that good or bad?

I vaguely remember that if it went to the supreme court, they heard it then shot it down that it might provide a stronger case precedent for future projects. But I don't know if that was actually the case or just people making stuff up.

Good for TMX, but long term is that good or bad?

I vaguely remember that if it went to the supreme court, they heard it then shot it down that it might provide a stronger case precedent for future projects. But I don't know if that was actually the case or just people making stuff up.
    This is a great precedent going forward. The Supreme Court not even entertaining these terrorists BS claims to hold up production/construction. Just tell them to GTFO before they even get there.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Not oil related but LNG plant in Quebec is in a tough position after it's main investor backs out.

Warren Buffett's investment company Berkshire Hathaway has decided not to invest $4 billion in a liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant by the Saguenay port, according to Radio-Canada.

The marine terminal to ship LNG to overseas markets is slated to be built roughly 230 kilometres northeast of Quebec City, at a cost of $9.5 billion.

Stéphanie Fortin, head of communications for the company behind the project, GNL Québec, said that they lost the potential investor due to the current "Canadian political context."

She said with "instability" in the last few weeks, such as ongoing rail blockades, foreign investors are getting nervous.

This won't keep the project from progressing, Fortin said, nor will it mean job losses in the immediate future.
    They say it won't stop the project but... finding another investor now given our governments inability to do anything about the protests seems slim

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ject-1.5486517
    Last edited by pheoxs; 03-05-2020 at 11:46 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

not happy to hear about a project getting shelved, hopefully this will help spur some coverage out east.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I'm sure the Quebec government is looking for a new investment with Bombardier selling most of its business.....

Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 59 68 69 70 79 ... LastLast